Young Classical Composer

Started by FinHenderson, April 23, 2012, 01:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinHenderson

I am a young classical composer, my idea is to get kids back into classical a bit more,

if you want to check out my work, and tell me it's awful, or tell me it's good, feel free!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDK6TMsJfcQ

Sammy

Quote from: FinHenderson on April 23, 2012, 01:23:27 PM
I am a young classical composer, my idea is to get kids back into classical a bit more,

if you want to check out my work, and tell me it's awful, or tell me it's good, feel free!

There's nothing awful about it - nice basic melody that reminds me a little of Satie.  However, greater variety would be favorable for a piece that lasts over 4 minutes (or maybe edit it to reduce its length).  Also reminded me of music for film.

At any rate, I do believe you have good potential.

madaboutmahler

Welcome to GMG!

Very nice piece your shared, I enjoyed it very much. Very lyrical and melodic. :)

I am also a young British composer, I am 15 at the moment, and am also frustrated at how little many young people can appreciate classical music. They just don't know what they are missing out on!!! Fortunately, I am surrounded by many musical friends to share myself with. :)

Make sure to stick around here on GMG, at maybe take a look at some of the other threads too. I have a thread on this part of the forum too, called 'Hogan's Home'. There are many great composers on this forum, so I think you'd enjoy yourself very much!

Who are your favourite composers then? :)

Nice to meet you,

Daniel
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Szykneij

Nice work, Fin! The video itself was equally as nice. Don't edit anything. The piece held my interest throughout.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Cato

Quote from: FinHenderson on April 23, 2012, 01:23:27 PM

Greetings!

When I was much (MUCH) younger, Russian composer Alexander Tcherepnin always advised me to listen to - and study - not just the music that I was already enthusiastic about, but also music I did not care for. 
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

FinHenderson

Cheers guys, in terms of the simplicity, i wished for the piece to be largely simple, as you say like Satie, easy listening i suppose, i shall be posting some more complicated ones in the near future :)

Thanks for interest, feel more than free to send it around ;)

FinHenderson

Quote from: Szykneij on April 23, 2012, 03:39:21 PM
Nice work, Fin! The video itself was equally as nice. Don't edit anything. The piece held my interest throughout.

Thanks a lot!

Sammy

Quote from: FinHenderson on April 24, 2012, 08:59:24 AM
Cheers guys, in terms of the simplicity, i wished for the piece to be largely simple, as you say like Satie, easy listening i suppose, i shall be posting some more complicated ones in the near future :)

Thanks for interest, feel more than free to send it around ;)

For accuracy's sake, I want you to know that simplicity had nothing to do with your piece reminding me of Satie.  It's the atmosphere/emotional environment where I find the connection, and it's an atmosphere that always wins my heart.

FinHenderson

Ahhh good stuff, atmosphere was the aim :)