The Legendary Recordings Thread

Started by Mark, September 24, 2007, 03:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mr. Darcy

Holden

I love this thread, so many varying opinions yet so much to think about. A number of works I already own appear in this list that I hadn't considered so here goes for my second set of choices.

That's it for now folks.
Cheers

Holden

sidoze

Quote from: George on September 24, 2007, 06:16:22 PM

did you finally hear this? mops the floor with everything else

I don't know, a lot of the choices are very good, even exceptional. But legendary? the term is abused. try Sofronitsky for legendary.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

George

Quote from: sidoze on September 25, 2007, 12:20:34 AM
did you finally hear this? mops the floor with everything else

No, i haven't. Amazon has one for $950.  :-[

George

Quote from: donwyn on September 24, 2007, 07:48:59 PM

Methinks you're talking to me! ;D

Yes, here's my take (cut and paste from an earlier post) on the differences between the two Prokofiev 5th PC transfers:

Thanks Don. I remember your helpful post back then. I was more referring to overall SQ. Does the earlier one have more recessed sound? 

sidoze

Quote from: donwyn on September 24, 2007, 07:48:59 PM

look at that green haze around him. I always knew he's from another planet  8)

Brian

Quote from: Bogey on September 24, 2007, 06:56:56 PM
Pick-'em:

Before those two ... I would pick this one:

Fournier/Szell!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on September 25, 2007, 05:34:22 AM
Thanks Don. I remember your helpful post back then. I was more referring to overall SQ. Does the earlier one have more recessed sound? 

George, as far as "up-to-date" sound is concerned, neither has a leg up on the other - not forgetting the lousy positioning of the piano on the Originals edition (way out front). But as far as the 'recessed' thing there's no worry.

In fact, over the years I've had a few of Richter's LP's on DG and never had issues with the sound. It's always been ringing and clear with a certain naturalness that's been most satisfying. Lady luck perhaps has smiled on the Richter/DG combination yet by and large I'd say the luck ran out on the Originals transfer. Most glaring is the missing balance. In its place is a sense of tampering (or fumbling) with what was already quality goods. Why is a mystery but I suppose "something different" was on order to appease seasoned collectors.

Oh, before I forget, another odd thing about the Originals transfer is some of the bass has been lopped off. Why that should be I don't know but it's disconcerting. In compensation there are more highs on the Originals but that doesn't mean there's a greater sense of space or openness. They've just substituted the missing low end with higher highs. But the trade-off isn't a successful one. The music is left 'groundless' without a solid foundation in the bass. But leave it to DG to fill in the empty space with that overbearing piano positioning! Piano on parade!!! ;D

Anyway, when all is said and done, I'd give the nod to the first CD incarnation (for the Prokofiev concerto). The Originals edition really isn't an improvement.

George

Quote from: donwyn on September 25, 2007, 05:13:09 PM
George, as far as "up-to-date" sound is concerned, neither has a leg up on the other - not forgetting the lousy positioning of the piano on the Originals edition (way out front). But as far as the 'recessed' thing there's no worry.

In fact, over the years I've had a few of Richter's LP's on DG and never had issues with the sound. It's always been ringing and clear with a certain naturalness that's been most satisfying. Lady luck perhaps has smiled on the Richter/DG combination yet by and large I'd say the luck ran out with the Originals transfer. Most glaring is the missing naturalness. In its place is a sense of tampering (or fumbling) with what was already quality goods. Why is a mystery but I suppose "something different" was on order to appease seasoned collectors.

Oh, before I forget, another odd thing about the Originals transfer is some of the bass has been lopped off. Why that should be I don't know but it's disconcerting. In compensation there are more highs on the Originals but that doesn't mean there's a greater sense of space or openness. They've just substituted the missing low end with higher highs. But the trade-off isn't a successful one. The music is left 'groundless' without a solid foundation in the bass. But leave it to DG to fill in the empty space with that overbearing piano positioning! Piano on parade!!! ;D

Anyway, when all is said and done, I'd give the nod to the first CD incarnation (for the Prokofiev concerto). The Originals edition really isn't an improvement.

Thanks for your always helpful words, Don.

I should upload a sample of the Rachmaninov Originals to see what differences there are there as well. Let me know if you are game.  :) 

FideLeo

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

Holden

Cheers

Holden