Union Symphony Orchestra Performance

Started by hornteacher, September 24, 2007, 05:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornteacher

We've got our season opener next weekend.

Program includes:

Marriage of Figaro Overture
Haydn Trumpet Concerto
Beethoven Symphony #1

I'm excited because in addition to me playing horn in the USO, one of my former students (Ben Fuller) is the soloist for the Haydn.  He was on NPR's "From the Top" last year and won the symphony concerto competition.

The boy done good.

jochanaan

Pretty challenging program, hornteacher!  B1 isn't easy even for top orchestras to bring off well.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

hornteacher

Yes, its a challenge for us.  The USO is a small orchestra but we've got a great conductor and an active Symphony Society that's growing.  Hopefully we can pull this one off well.

bhodges

Quote from: hornteacher on September 26, 2007, 01:13:23 PM
Yes, its a challenge for us.  The USO is a small orchestra but we've got a great conductor and an active Symphony Society that's growing.  Hopefully we can pull this one off well.

Sounds like ingredients for success.  Wishing you lots of fun and a delighted audience!

--Bruce

hornteacher

Just came from rehearsal!  Concert tonight!  Should be really fun if us horns can get the transposition right!

jochanaan

So how'd it go?  :) (Sorry for the delay; I haven't checked this forum section recently.)

hornteacher

Oh duh!  I forgot to follow up.  It actually went very well.  The Beethoven (which we were the most concerned about) went fantastic.  There are some pictures on the Union County Bandmasters Blog (scroll down past the marching band stuff).

http://ucba.blogspot.com

jochanaan

Quote from: hornteacher on October 28, 2007, 11:50:53 AM
...There are some pictures on the Union County Bandmasters Blog (scroll down past the marching band stuff).
Schmoozing with the clarinet section, were you? ;D

I'm glad it went well.  What are you playing next?

hornteacher

Quote from: jochanaan on October 28, 2007, 04:35:41 PM
Schmoozing with the clarinet section, were you? ;D

I'm glad it went well.  What are you playing next?

Yeah, I like the gals.  ;)   One's a really close friend, the other is a former student.

Next up is a musical that starts tomorrow night!  The USO is teaming up with the local university drama department to do "Once Upon A Mattress".  A nice musical but lots of sharps in the horn parts!

karlhenning