Sergio Fiorentino

Started by Holden, September 26, 2007, 04:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Cosi bel do on October 26, 2014, 12:57:44 PM
The Chopin sonata in this set is no. 3. I don't think I've heard about a sonata no. 2 by him ? Do you have any more information ?

Oh that's a shame - I misread the tracklist. The sonata two I like is here:

(This is worth having - I was assuming that the Fanatsy which I like was taken from this, but now I see that the one I like is 1993 and the one in the box is 1996. So ignore what I said - if you get it I'd be keen to know how the two compare.)

And the Sonata 3 I don't much like is here

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Cosi bel do

Yes ok so we're talking about the same sonata no. 3 (I'm gonna listen to it again because I don't really remember it).

The 1992 live recording has been forever in my list, I'll have to consider it more seriously, I didn't rememeber (or hadn't noticed) there was Chopins 2nd sonata in this recital.

Mandryka

Anyone heard this? I just noticed it

Mandryka

Quote from: Cosi bel do on October 26, 2014, 01:15:35 PM
Yes ok so we're talking about the same sonata no. 3 (I'm gonna listen to it again because I don't really remember it).

The 1992 live recording has been forever in my list, I'll have to consider it more seriously, I didn't rememeber (or hadn't noticed) there was Chopins 2nd sonata in this recital.

PM me if you want me to send you the sonata 3 I prefer - I don't know the provenance.

Holden

Quote from: Mandryka on October 26, 2014, 01:07:52 PM

(This is worth having - I was assuming that the Fanatsy which I like was taken from this, but now I see that the one I like is 1993 and the one in the box is 1996. So ignore what I said - if you get it I'd be keen to know how the two compare.)

And the Sonata 3 I don't much like is here

Both performances of the Fantasie are excellent and very similar. One of them is top of my list for this work and the other is #2.
Cheers

Holden

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Holden on October 27, 2014, 12:23:04 PM
Both performances of the Fantasie are excellent and very similar. One of them is top of my list for this work and the other is #2.

Yes, one is live and the other studio. They're among my favorites for the Fantasy as well.

For me I love Fiorentino's Liszt. I have that "Contemplative Liszt" disc mentioned earlier in the thread as well as two other Liszt discs and they are definite gems.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 27, 2014, 12:39:58 PM
Yes, one is live and the other studio. They're among my favorites for the Fantasy as well.

For me I love Fiorentino's Liszt. I have that "Contemplative Liszt" disc mentioned earlier in the thread as well as two other Liszt discs and they are definite gems.

His Liszt is on my list too.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on October 27, 2014, 12:59:08 PM
His Liszt is on my list too.

;)

Why am I thinking of a certain Hall & Oates song...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Mandryka

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 27, 2014, 12:39:58 PM

Some of the things in that Contemplative Liszt show Fiorentino's penchant for extended tempos, and for stillness, calm. Weinen, Klagen . . . by Fiorentino couldn't be more different from Horowitz - I prefer Fiorentino to Horowitz's nervousness, but that view may not be very widely shared. The Partita 4 is a real clear example of this aspect of his art.

The Contemplative Liszt CD is one of the very few early recordings by him I like. Most of the stuff I've enjoyed has been from the 1980s and 1990s.

Brian

Quote from: Discobolus on October 26, 2014, 11:42:10 AMwhich recalls at times Michelangeli's work (in Brahms Ballades for instance, a score in which I would have liked to hear the late Fiorentino).
Quote from: Mandryka on September 30, 2010, 09:43:04 PM
It made me wonder, do any of you know any other Debussy by Fiorentino?
I just got my 10CD Berlin box, but the notes state that before his death Fiorentino had scheduled another long recording session in Berlin with the same engineers. The program: Brahms Ballades and pieces Opp. 117-119, and Debussy's Images with some favorite Preludes. This made my heart ache that he did not live one more year...

Quote from: Mandryka on October 26, 2014, 01:17:48 PM
Anyone heard this? I just noticed it

I heard some excerpts on Naxos Music Library last week. Historical piano - probably an 1840s-1850s Erard. Sound quality is not great. Brisk, straightforward Schubert is what I mainly remember, and two very lively, jubilant Chopin waltzes.

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on November 17, 2014, 07:29:19 PM
I just got my 10CD Berlin box, but the notes state that before his death Fiorentino had scheduled another long recording session in Berlin with the same engineers. The program: Brahms Ballades and pieces Opp. 117-119, and Debussy's Images with some favorite Preludes. This made my heart ache that he did not live one more year...
I heard some excerpts on Naxos Music Library last week. Historical piano - probably an 1840s-1850s Erard. Sound quality is not great. Brisk, straightforward Schubert is what I mainly remember, and two very lively, jubilant Chopin waltzes.

It's the Strauss transcription that someone said to me was special, unfortunately it's not on spotify.

Brian

Coming soon: Piano Classics label 10 CD box set of "Early Recordings". Right now I can't find any info other than the title and number of CDs. Exciting news, regardless.

George

Quote from: Brian on January 02, 2016, 10:12:41 AM
Coming soon: Piano Classics label 10 CD box set of "Early Recordings". Right now I can't find any info other than the title and number of CDs. Exciting news, regardless.

Their last set used the material that had previously appeared on APR's "FIORENTINO EDITION" series (and added one unique CD), so I'd expect the new box to use the APR material from their "The Early Recordings" series. I don't know if there was ten discs in that series, as I only have volumes 1 through 6 (one CD each.)

Brian

Piano Classics already released APR Early Recordings Vols. 1-3 in their "Fiorentino Liszt Recordings" box and Vol. 5 (Rachmaninov) separately, which leaves only Vols. 4 (Liszt concertos + Chopin fantasy) and 6 (Schumann). That is the whole series (you have 'em all!).

So the question is, did they find 4 CDs of new material, and are they borrowing 4 CDs which they already released in their previous reissue boxes? Or did they find eight CDs of new material in the vaults somewhere??

Piano Classics Fiorentino Series
Vol. 1 - the Complete Berlin Sessions, 1990s
Vol. 2 - the Complete Liszt Solo Recordings (1960s and some overlap with Berlin '90s)
Vol. 3 - Rachmaninov Preludes + Sonatas
Vol. 4 - ??

Holden

I know for a fact that there is a lot of unreleased SF material still out there, most of it from his early recording days. APR was steadily releasing it and decided to stop for whatever reason. I received a 2 CD set from someone close to this work which was made up entirely of unreleased (on CD) material which was with APR. Maybe this company has gained access to this. If so it's a big win for Fiorentino fans.
Cheers

Holden

George

Quote from: Brian on January 02, 2016, 10:24:48 AM
Piano Classics already released APR Early Recordings Vols. 1-3 in their "Fiorentino Liszt Recordings" box and Vol. 5 (Rachmaninov) separately, which leaves only Vols. 4 (Liszt concertos + Chopin fantasy) and 6 (Schumann). That is the whole series (you have 'em all!).

Good to know!

Brian

Quote from: Brian on January 02, 2016, 10:10:35 AM
Also, it appears that the label Piano Classics, which has been issuing box sets of Sergio Fiorentino back-catalogue, is going to soon issue an "Early Recordings" box set of 10 CDs. I have not found a track list yet but I think it's a lot of his recordings from the 1960s.
We still don't have a track list, but we have a cover:

Brian

Quote from: Brian on January 20, 2016, 07:40:11 PM
We still don't have a track list, but we have a cover:

TRACK LIST!!!!!

Fiorentino - Early Recordings 1953-1966 - 10 CD box
CD1
Beethoven: 32 Variations in C minor; Appassionata
Mozart: Concerto No. 21
Chopin: Sonata No. 2
CD2
Bach: Chromatic Fantasy & Fugue; Italian Concerto; Chaconne; "Organ Prelude and Fugue in D minor" (?)
Beethoven: Pathetique
CD3
Beethoven: Moonlight, Waldstein
Schumann: Faschingsschwank, Kinderszenen
CD4
Schumann: Carnaval, Arabeske, Symphonic Etudes
Brahms: Paganini Variations
CD5
Brahms: Handel Variations
miniatures & encores by Mendelssohn (an etude and a Song without Words), Borodin, Rachmaninov (Polka de V.R. and transcriptions)
CD6
Chopin: 4 Ballades, 4 Scherzi
CD7
Chopin: 27 Etudes
CD8
Chopin: 19 Waltzes, 4 Impromptus
CD9
Chopin: various polonaises
CD10
Chopin: more polonaises + Fantasy on Polish Airs

George

Quote from: Brian on February 26, 2016, 01:11:10 PM
TRACK LIST!!!!!

Fiorentino - Early Recordings 1953-1966 - 10 CD box
CD1
Beethoven: 32 Variations in C minor; Appassionata
Mozart: Concerto No. 21
Chopin: Sonata No. 2
CD2
Bach: Chromatic Fantasy & Fugue; Italian Concerto; Chaconne; "Organ Prelude and Fugue in D minor" (?)
Beethoven: Pathetique
CD3
Beethoven: Moonlight, Waldstein
Schumann: Faschingsschwank, Kinderszenen
CD4
Schumann: Carnaval, Arabeske, Symphonic Etudes
Brahms: Paganini Variations
CD5
Brahms: Handel Variations
miniatures & encores by Mendelssohn (an etude and a Song without Words), Borodin, Rachmaninov (Polka de V.R. and transcriptions)
CD6
Chopin: 4 Ballades, 4 Scherzi
CD7
Chopin: 27 Etudes
CD8
Chopin: 19 Waltzes, 4 Impromptus
CD9
Chopin: various polonaises
CD10
Chopin: more polonaises + Fantasy on Polish Airs

Wow, that isn't what we expected at all!