Author Topic: Ballet Masters of the 20th Century  (Read 10194 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1962 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók et. al.
Re: Ballet Masters of the 20th Century
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »
As was his wont, Barber contributed but one work to this genre, but it's a corker - one of his best: Medea

Oh man that's a smoking piece Guido. I think I'll listen to Schipper's performance later.
"Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art." - Claude Debussy

Offline Guido

• Veteran member
  • 396 CCs
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 12:53:04 PM »
It seems I'm the only one who mentioned Hindemith's The Four Temperaments. I consider this right alongside Apollo and Orpheus in 'cool' Neo-Classical tone. This is the 'sound' that I'd like to hear more examples of,... is there aaanything 'cooler' than Apollo??

I adore the four temperaments, but like it for its incredible beauty and stormy, romantic sweep - never has neoclassicism been so moody and romantic! So unexpected in Hindemith too (a composer I love). I don't agree at all that it's cool. I agree that Apollo is the apogee of neo-classic cool - I adore it too. Stravinsky's style is perfect for the subject matter - he's the Apollonian of composers after all!

EDIT: Hmm it's cooler than I remembered (the four temperaments). Not sure how to classify it mentally...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:31:48 PM by Guido »
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Offline lescamil

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 05:22:30 PM »
The Four Temperaments if an amazing piano concerto. It is a work by Hindemith that doesn't have as much of a "coldness" to it, which some of his other works can have. It's terrifically poignant and is a real workout for the pianist. I like it much more than I like the eponymous piano concerto by Hindemith. I actually had no idea it was a ballet! That's something I'd pay to see choreographed.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2011, 10:42:06 PM »
The Four Temperaments if an amazing piano concerto. It is a work by Hindemith that doesn't have as much of a "coldness" to it, which some of his other works can have. It's terrifically poignant and is a real workout for the pianist. I like it much more than I like the eponymous piano concerto by Hindemith. I actually had no idea it was a ballet! That's something I'd pay to see choreographed.

It's a celebrated Balanchine ballet, and it's one of the few that is available on an original video, a Nonesuch dvd.

this is an excerpt from another (not original) performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbL72wIKpyY

snyprrr

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 08:56:06 AM »
I adore the four temperaments, but like it for its incredible beauty and stormy, romantic sweep - never has neoclassicism been so moody and romantic! So unexpected in Hindemith too (a composer I love). I don't agree at all that it's cool. I agree that Apollo is the apogee of neo-classic cool - I adore it too. Stravinsky's style is perfect for the subject matter - he's the Apollonian of composers after all!

EDIT: Hmm it's cooler than I remembered (the four temperaments). Not sure how to classify it mentally...

It reminds me of some Middle Ages Crusade Saga, or something,... very Cinematic,... and yes, 'sweeping' is the word. It's like, in the best sense, a Fantasy Movie Score. The Delos record, with Noblissima Visione, was one of the first cds I got.

Offline Amfortas

• My YouTube Channel
  • Currently Listening to:
    20th C, 21st C, Mahler, Prokofiev, Roberto Gerhard, Frank Martin, Janáček
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2011, 02:50:11 AM »
I just uploaded a performance in good sound of Dallapiccola's rarely heard ballet "Marsia" (1943), with the BBC Phil and Noseda conducting, if anyone wants to hear it:

http://www.4shared.com/file/-Js3TP8q/Dallapiccola_-_Marsia__complet.html
''Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.'' - James Joyce (The Dead)