Kamran Ince

Started by gomro, September 29, 2007, 02:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomro

I just purchased a Naxos disc with Kamran Ince's 3rd and 4th symphonies, "Siege of Vienna" and "Sardis", and I'm very impressed. His music reminds me of Martinu... Honegger... Shostakovich... Ruggles... but "reminds" is as far as the comparison goes, because despite some similarities, Ince has a style completely his own.
Anyone else familiar with this composer, for good or ill?

Harry

Quote from: gomro on September 29, 2007, 02:05:50 AM
I just purchased a Naxos disc with Kamran Ince's 3rd and 4th symphonies, "Siege of Vienna" and "Sardis", and I'm very impressed. His music reminds me of Martinu... Honegger... Shostakovich... Ruggles... but "reminds" is as far as the comparison goes, because despite some similarities, Ince has a style completely his own.
Anyone else familiar with this composer, for good or ill?

Yep, bought that same disc 6 months ago, and since then I am hooked. His music is original, and as you say a style of his own.
Here is his website. enjoy.

http://www.kamranince.com/eng.htm

Dundonnell

Yes, I too was rather impressed by the works on the Naxos CD-accessible music but in a modern idiom.

It seems a little odd that the disc was issued in the Naxos 21st Century Classics series since only one of the three works was actually written in the 21st Century but I have thought for some time now that Naxos ought to rethink their policy on series. The Ince could perfectly well have been issued in the American Classics series since Ince was born and teaches in the USA.

(Incidentally, Naxos does seem to issue an awful lot of discs in the American Classics series by composers I have never heard of and-even at their cheap price-buying becomes a bit of a lottery. Come on Naxos-finish the William Schuman, Roy Harris, David Diamond, Paul Creston series!)

violinconcerto

There is a recording of Kamran Inces very nice violin concerto called "In white"!
I don't know any other work by him, but this particular piece sounds churchly, like Tavener but not that depressed.

jowcol

I've been really enjoying the "Siege of Constantinople" disc by Ince, both the title track (his second symphony) and the Arches are a really enjoyable mix of post-minimalism and polystylism (sp?).  It's like a multi-cultural John Adams with a bit more of a willingness to get dissonant.   I really like how effective the way he blends eastern and archaic elements where it doesn't sound labored or forced.

I'll need to dig deeper-- checking out the bank account....
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Popov

I'm curious about the Galatasaray Symphony, any thoughts?

lescamil

There is a CD on Argo called Fall of Constantinople (named after his second symphony) which I quite like, especially the piano concerto Remembering Lycia. It has a romantic attitude, but with a language that reminds me somewhat of what the original poster mentioned, and I'll add the Turkish composer Ahmed Adnan Saygun to that list. Kamran Ince is of Turkish extraction and it is reflected in his music.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

jowcol

Quote from: Popov on June 15, 2011, 01:44:52 PM
I'm curious about the Galatasaray Symphony, any thoughts?

I've given that a couple listens on the Naxos disc-- I like it, but not as much as the 2nd.  However, some of the other tracks on that disc are wonderful.
Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Oddly enough I was thinking of starting a thread on this composer, entitling it 'Fall of Constantinople' - I think that Symphony No 2 is great - like a mixture of American minimalists (Glass?) meets the whirling dervishes and the Poledouris score for 'Conan the Barbarian' (a great score by the way) + lots of use of bagpipe like traditional turkish instruments - a hoot, I loved it. coincidentally the CD with 'Siege of Vienna' arrived today. The two works I recommend are Symphony No 2 ;Fall of Constantinople' and the Concerto for Orchestra (both on the same Naxos CD). I was delighted to see he's written a piece of music linked with the Turkish football team Galatasaray.
[asin]B0052FG8P4[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on July 19, 2011, 02:17:08 AM
Oddly enough I was thinking of starting a thread on this composer, entitling it 'Fall of Constantinople' - I think that Symphony No 2 is great - like a mixture of American minimalists (Glass?) meets the whirling dervishes and the Poledouris score for 'Conan the Barbarian' (a great score by the way) + lots of use of bagpipe like traditional turkish instruments - a hoot, I loved it. coincidentally the CD with 'Siege of Vienna' arrived today. The two works I recommend are Symphony No 2 ;Fall of Constantinople' and the Concerto for Orchestra (both on the same Naxos CD). I was delighted to see he's written a piece of music linked with the Turkish football team Galatasaray.
[asin]B0052FG8P4[/asin]

To seek to avoid making himself deeply unpopular in Istanbul Ince really now requires to add a Fenerbahce Symphony ;D ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on July 19, 2011, 07:20:27 AM
To seek to avoid making himself deeply unpopular in Istanbul Ince really now requires to add a Fenerbahce Symphony ;D ;D

Hehe - an excellent point  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

jowcol

Quote from: vandermolen on July 19, 2011, 02:17:08 AM
[asin]B0052FG8P4[/asin]

The other version of the Fall of Constantinople has a lovely work called Arches which I'm very fond of....
Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: jowcol on July 19, 2011, 01:32:07 PM
The other version of the Fall of Constantinople has a lovely work called Arches which I'm very fond of....

Thank you John - I've noticed it on Amazon. I trust that the piece is both valedictory and hopelessly defiant  ;D

jowcol

Quote from: vandermolen on July 19, 2011, 02:32:12 PM
Thank you John - I've noticed it on Amazon. I trust that the piece is both valedictory and hopelessly defiant  ;D

Actually, it isn't-- more moody and impressionistic , but still probably something you'd enjoy a lot.
Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: jowcol on July 19, 2011, 05:54:02 PM
Actually, it isn't-- more moody and impressionistic , but still probably something you'd enjoy a lot.

Many thanks John. :D

foxandpeng

Listening to Kamran Ince's Symphony 2, 'Fall of Constantinople' as a palate cleanser on Argo with the Albany SO. What a great piece of music. I am often well disposed to symphonies that start with a bang, and this is no exception. Very listenable, indeed. Lots to like, and I endorse the enthusiasm of the previous comments in the thread 🙂👍

I even like the coupled work for Piano and Orchestra... Piano Concerto?, Remembering Lycia, which due to my aversion to such things is a bit of a surprise. Second PC or piano work in recent days, after very much liking the Valeriy Antonyuk PC; strange times.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy