So you thought you were done with the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto no. 1 ?

Started by Mark, October 01, 2007, 03:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

It's an old, Late Romantic warhorse. It's been done to death, sometimes very badly. It's slushy, it's sometimes overblown, and most people won't want to listen to it that often.

Then this CD gets released, and all that changes:

Now, I'm not someone who feels comfortable using a word like 'phenomenal' to describe any old release. But this is a disc that deserves that description, and could well be my nomination for the (inevitable) GMG CD of the Year 2007. ;D

I've never encountered Sudbin before. The guy is a pianist to watch. If a more perfect performance of the Tchaikovsky First Piano Concerto exists, I'd like to hear it. This man delivers a near-flawless account of this grand old work, and with more than able support from the Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra (and in astonishing sound), makes it feel brand new. Without a doubt, Sudbin has unseated and decrowned Peter Rosel with Kurt Masur and the Gewandhaus Orchestra (my long-time first choice on Berlin Classics), putting this new recording at the top of the table.

If you love piano playing, you'll love this, I promise you. And you'll find the account of the Medtner First Piano Concerto equally mesmerising; it left me almost breathless.

I bought this recording as a download. It will most certainly be joining the CDs on my shelf as a physical disc. Outstanding, and a must-buy. :)

Holden

I bought the Sudbin Scarlatti sonatas release and was extremely impressed so I'll look out for this. However, I do have Gilels/Reiner in this and it would be hard to beat that IMO - but I'm prepared to be persuaded. Can the download be sampled before buying?
Cheers

Holden

Mark

Quote from: Holden on October 01, 2007, 03:51:59 AM
Can the download be sampled before buying?

If you try the (30-second) samples at eMusic, you might get some brief idea of the quality.

Perhaps I'll upload a sample later. ;)

dtwilbanks

QuoteIt's been done to death...

But I haven't subjected myself to it much.  ;D

Que

I bought the Sudbin Scarlatti sonatas release and was extremely impressed so I'll look out for this. However, I do have Gilels/Reiner in this and it would be hard to beat that IMO - but I'm prepared to be persuaded. Can the download be sampled before buying?

My favourite (let's-cut-the-BS-and-just-play-it) recording as well!  :)

Q

karlhenning

Quote from: dtw on October 02, 2007, 05:06:36 AM
But I haven't subjected myself to it much.  ;D

I've heard it quite a bit, but I've just always liked it!

karlhenning

Quote from: Que on October 02, 2007, 07:44:55 AM
My favourite (let's-cut-the-BS-and-just-play-it) recording as well!  :)

Q

Ooh! That looks very nice!

dtwilbanks

I own Cliburn/Reiner and Horowitz/Toscanini. Not sure but there may be another...

Iago

Quote from: dtw on October 02, 2007, 07:59:34 AM
I own Cliburn/Reiner and Horowitz/Toscanini. Not sure but there may be another...
Well, if you own Cliburn/Reiner, you're the only one on the planet that does. THEY NEVER collaborated on the Tschaikovsky "First".
It's mistakes and misinformation like that, which cause me to absolutely IGNORE anybodies recording recommendations on this board.
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Iago on October 02, 2007, 08:52:55 AM
Well, if you own Cliburn/Reiner, you're the only one on the planet that does. THEY NEVER collaborated on the Tschaikovsky "First"

Oh, right. That's Kondrashin. Reiner's the Rach.

Peregrine

Yes, we have no bananas

Brian

Well, Mark, I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that you love this recording too! Isn't it a revelation? Really redefined the concerto for me ... except for the odd flute blip at the opening of the second movement, when it plays the wrong variant of the theme (?).

For the record, though, I would like to link to this thread, in which I stated, "For those tired of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1, give Yevgeny Sudbin's new CD a spin. I'd been reading gobs of praise about it everywhere, and indeed everything is true: I have never heard the music sound even remotely like this before! Perhaps it may even win converts to one of the most divisive of piano concerti..."

;)

Mark

Quote from: brianrein on October 02, 2007, 11:39:44 AM
Well, Mark, I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that you love this recording too! Isn't it a revelation? Really redefined the concerto for me ... except for the odd flute blip at the opening of the second movement, when it plays the wrong variant of the theme (?).

For the record, though, I would like to link to this thread, in which I stated, "For those tired of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1, give Yevgeny Sudbin's new CD a spin. I'd been reading gobs of praise about it everywhere, and indeed everything is true: I have never heard the music sound even remotely like this before! Perhaps it may even win converts to one of the most divisive of piano concerti..."

;)

Brian, so sorry I missed your thread on this. :(

If you'd like to PM a Mod, I'm happy for my thread to get merged with yours. :)

And yes, this IS a very special recording of the Tchaikovsky. ;)

BorisG

The Scarlatti should be bought. The gushings for the others, including the Hurwitz gush for the Scriabin, are a little over the top. One thing is for sure. This young man will have many fine recordings, some of which are great. So far, if anyone is keeping score, Sudbin has one great one. $:)

Brian

Quote from: Mark on October 02, 2007, 12:38:15 PM
Brian, so sorry I missed your thread on this. :(

If you'd like to PM a Mod, I'm happy for my thread to get merged with yours. :)

And yes, this IS a very special recording of the Tchaikovsky. ;)
Oh don't worry, that thread's ancient history.  ;D 

Mark

Quote from: BorisG on October 02, 2007, 12:50:44 PM
This young man will have many fine recordings, some of which are great. So far, if anyone is keeping score, Sudbin has one great one. $:)

Agreed. This is a young pianistic talent to watch.

Brian

Quote from: BorisG on October 02, 2007, 12:50:44 PM
The Scarlatti should be bought. The gushings for the others, including the Hurwitz gush for the Scriabin, are a little over the top.
I was wondering about that! Saw it the other day and listened to the CD via the Naxos Music Library ... I'd never heard Scriabin before so all I know is that I liked it (and the first half sounded a lot like Rachmaninov).

The new erato

The Sudbin Scriabin is currently on my wish list (but so are tons of other stuff)

Harry Collier

Quote from: Mark on October 01, 2007, 03:02:47 AM
It's an old, Late Romantic warhorse. It's been done to death, sometimes very badly. It's slushy, it's sometimes overblown, and most people won't want to listen to it that often.

Curses; you've caused me to click my mouse and order a copy. Never thought I'd be buying yet another Tchaikovsky-1. Grumble. Grumble.

Mark

Quote from: Harry Collier on October 03, 2007, 02:22:41 PM
Curses; you've caused me to click my mouse and order a copy. Never thought I'd be buying yet another Tchaikovsky-1. Grumble. Grumble.

You won't regret it, Harry, of that I assure you. ;)