So you thought you were done with the Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto no. 1 ?

Started by Mark, October 01, 2007, 03:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MishaK

I'll have to check out Sudbin, though the orchestra I'm not so sure about. This is one of those works where I need a great orchestra to match the soloist. My favorites are Gilels/Reiner and Argerich/Dutoit.

George

Quote from: Que on October 02, 2007, 07:44:55 AM
My favourite (let's-cut-the-BS-and-just-play-it) recording as well!  :)

Q

Have you heard the Gilels/Maazel performance? How do they compare?

George

Que

Quote from: George on October 05, 2007, 06:48:55 AM
Have you heard the Gilels/Maazel performance? How do they compare?

No, but IMO Gilels/Reiner actually does surpass Richter/Mravinsky: I think Richter is too intellectual for the piece, it's a bit fussy and he fiddles with it too much - IMO this piece is best delivered straight. And Argerich/Dutoit would come nowhere near...

Q

MishaK

Quote from: Que on October 05, 2007, 07:52:36 AM
And Argerich/Dutoit would come nowhere near...

Have you  actually heard that recording? I mean the DG recording. It's OOP at the moment. It's quite different from her later Philips recording with Kondrashin (which is just a speed contest). BTW, another surprisingly warm and unfussy recording is Barenboim/Celibidache/MPO/EMI. Hard to believe with that conductor, but it really is.

Que

Quote from: O Mensch on October 05, 2007, 08:38:16 AM
Have you  actually heard that recording?

Yes, I have. Didn't/don't like Dutoit's way with Tchaikovsky, and actually liked the Kondrashin better.
BTW the Gilels/Reiner is quite speedy as well...

Q

MishaK

Quote from: Que on October 05, 2007, 08:49:31 AM
Yes, I have. Didn't/don't like Dutoit's way with Tchaikovsky, and actually liked the Kondrashin better.
BTW the Gilels/Reiner is quite speedy as well...

But unlke Argerich/Kondrashin, Gilels/Reiner know when to let the mysic breathe.

Que

Leo K.

I really thought I was done with this concerto, until I returned to the Horowitz/Toscanini, a studio recording from 1941.  :o  It is absolutely stunning. It is not only a return to an old favorite work, but also an old recording that I have not heard in over twenty years. I'm glad I had an itch to listen again this morning...don't know why, but I did!

8)

Scion7

YES, I am done with it.  I have a recording that I enjoy, and am content.

clickenze!

Szell proves a convivial, alert partner in the First Concerto, providing deft touches that lift this account above the ordinary. Listen, for instance, to the syncopated brass figure beneath the apotheosis of the last movement's second subject. If Graffman eschews the demonic brilliance of Horowitz, his reading is all about Tchaikovsky.
-- Gramophone [1/2006

Graffman's clear and straightforward pianism stands out for its bigness, presence, and authority. I especially love his feathery scintillation in the slow movement's scampering central interlude, and the lyrical reserve he brings to the opening movement's extensive unaccompanied solos.
-- ClassicsToday.com

from Gramophone 1970:
In a very impressive Cleveland performance Graff man is cleaner in style and execution . . .  Graffman's is finale very fast, though Graffman's fantastic control leaves one less tense.  Only in the coda does Graffman's electricity come out, at fullest voltage. The CBS record has the predictable close-up sound for the piano, and generally a typical Cleveland acoustic.  ~E.G.

This 1976 German CBS LP of a March, 1969 recording, has good sound and a very fine performance.

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

amandapase

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sdsxOYDXAs

How bout a recent one by Argerich/Barenboim? A new entry to my list...

André

Will listen to it later, thanks for sharing this !

Argerich happens to be one of my favourite pianists and her DG recording of the Tchaikovsky 1 with Dutoit is one I never tire of listening.

Others I like: Rubinstein/Leinsdorf, Gilels/Maazel and Volodos/Ozawa. There's a live Horowitz/Szell in poor sound in which Vlad pulverizes the ivories. Exciting as hell !

SimonNZ

I've been so satisfied with the Argerich/Dutoit disc I got in my teen that I've never felt the need to go looking for another one.

amw

Argerich/Kondrashin (on Philips) for me, but I've supplemented it with Gerstein/Gaffigan for its earlier, more expressive version of the piano part and somewhat of a more chamber-ish feel to it.

Florestan

If you can stand the sound,

Lev Oborin/ Alexander Gauk / USSR State and Radio Symphony Orchestra, 1948

will blow your mind off.

https://www.youtube.com/v/Yd7oSivpgx8

Listening again right now --- yep, still the most white-hot, take-no-prisoners version I've ever istened to.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Beatrice Rana's recording seems to be well-liked nowadays.

https://youtu.be/-m2pUQkdHII

I think  Sergio Tiempo is Argerich's protege.

https://youtu.be/E5bngchoxuw

vers la flamme

I've been listening to Argerich/Kondrashin/Bavarian on Philips, which somehow didn't impress me much on first listen (I think I didn't jive with the recorded sound). Returning to it I'm absolutely blown away by Argerich's virtuosity and Kondrashin's command of the score. This is one for the books. It has temporarily displaced my longtime favorite Cliburn/Kondrashin/RCA, and reignited my love for this work and my interest in Tchaikovsky's works in general (which I'd been mostly ignoring for some time).

Anyway I've been considering getting the Argerich/Abbado box which includes another Tchaikovsky 1, w/ the BPO—any thoughts on this recording?