The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

(1/256) > >>

Brewski:

--- Quote from: Corey on October 04, 2007, 04:32:59 AM ---Post-Martinů? We don't even have a Martinů thread!

--- End quote ---

Now we do!  Thanks for the suggestion.  :D

Now everyone, please go out right now and get a recording of the Double Concerto for Two String Orchestras, Piano and Timpani.  Of some half-dozen different recordings, so far I haven't heard a dud yet, so just pick one.   ;D

(Photo below is from Archives Martinů.)

--Bruce

uffeviking:
I have his The Epic of Gilgamesh, does this excuse me from running out and buying another Martinu? - I can't find that tiny ° to put above his u, sorry! - OK, I take your word for your recommendation and shall check what amazon.com has in their store.  :)

pjme:
Good idea! Martinu deserves a lot of attention !

The Double concerto is a magnificent composition. I have Charles Mackerras / Prague Radio SO (1982 rec.) on Supraphon.
Other works I cherish : the Nonette and Chamber music 1 (from 1959), pianoconcerti 4 ( Incantation) and 5 (Fantasia concertante),
the very early (1918) Czech rhapsody, a big cantata for baritone, choir, organsolo & orchestra ( wonderfully sweeping & grand; hardly recognisable as mature Martinu - but lovers of Dvorak, Elgar, Smetana ( and with the help of some Bach & Händel...) should investigate!!).

Symphony 6 - Fantaisies symphoniques

Kitice  (Bouquet of flowers - 1937) - a cycle of songs on folk texts that deal with rather sinister themes ...(Uliana poisons her brother....,an old man meets death in a cornfield...etc) set for soli, choir, children's choir and small orchestra ,it bristles with catchy ,irresistable tunes that invite to sing along. great (mono) performance led by Ancerl.

The miracle of our Lady - a cycle of 4 -rather short- operas.
The Wise and foolish virgins functions as a prologue.(from an old French text)
Mariken of Nimwegen (Nijmegen / The netherlands) is the most dramatic one act piece ( after a Mediaeval miracle play/ re-written by Henri Ghéon)
The Nativity acts almost as a pastoral interlude ( I find this really touching - sweetly naive ,yet poetical & mysterious.Text by the composer & folk poetry)
Sister Paskalina comes closest to "real" opera.(text by the composer + folkpoetry)

This is my selection for today...

Peter

Brewski:

--- Quote from: uffeviking on October 04, 2007, 09:09:29 AM ---I have his The Epic of Gilgamesh, does this excuse me from running out and buying another Martinu? - I can't find that tiny ° to put above his u, sorry! - OK, I take your word for your recommendation and shall check what amazon.com has in their store.  :)

--- End quote ---

The Epic of Gilgamesh is very good, but you might find things in his output you like better.  He's written quite a few operas (none of which seem to be on the Met's radar).  And many of Peter's suggestions above I don't know at all...this is a composer with a huge output.

PS, Lis, no worries about the kroužek (learned something today!) in Martinů's name (or other diacriticals, for that matter).  But you know you can cut-and-paste, even from the subject line of this thread!  :D

--Bruce

pjme:
this is a composer with a huge output.

Indeed. More than 400 works in a very wide variety of forms. French musicologist Harry Halbreich has  made a complete catalogue ( + biography)

...alas at ca 70 € ,quite expensive

Hyperion will soon issue a disc (vol.1) with Martinu's complete oeuvre for violin (and orch./instr.)

BOHUSLAV MARTINU (1890-1959)
The Complete Music for Violin and Orchestra - 1
BOHUSLAV MATOUSEK violin
JANNE THOMSEN flute 1–3
RÉGIS PASQUIER violin 4–6
JENNIFER KOH violin 7–9
CZECH PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA
CHRISTOPHER HOGWOOD conductor 

Concerto for flute, violin and orchestra H252 [18'41]
Allegro moderato [5'01]
Adagio [8'10]
Poco allegretto [5'28]