Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rinaldo

Quote from: kyjo on August 18, 2019, 09:46:54 AM
What a great name for a piece! :D

Ha, never saw it translated before and the translation makes it sound like something weird or silly. In Czech, the name sounds quite poetic, as it conjures memories of childhood and the tradition of baking potatoes in hot ashes on chilly autumn days.

Alek Hidell

I'm going to repeat here that I'm jonesing for a Martinů box. Maybe not the complete works as that would probably be too unwieldy (and besides, I doubt if all his works have even been recorded) - but a "best of" set would be greatly welcome. You know, the complete symphonies and string quartets, a healthy dose of other chamber music, vocal works, opera, etc.

For any record company suits who might be reading, get to work on that, willya? (And a Morton Feldman box, too, while you're at it.) :D
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

JBS

Quote from: Rinaldo on August 19, 2019, 02:19:12 AM
Ha, never saw it translated before and the translation makes it sound like something weird or silly. In Czech, the name sounds quite poetic, as it conjures memories of childhood and the tradition of baking potatoes in hot ashes on chilly autumn days.

And there is an American resonance. One of the tales told of Abe Lincoln to us kids in the 1960s (not sure if there is any factual basis to it) was that in winter his stepmother* would give him a hot potato to carry to school. The potato kept his hands warm during the longish walk to school, and then serve midday meal.

*no wicked stepmother was she, btw, but apparently a model for any loving mother, to go by what Lincoln said of her.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 16, 2019, 05:29:10 PM
I'm taking a piecemeal approach to the music of Martinů, whom I just discovered a few weeks ago. I think he is unquestionably extremely talented, but I am afraid of burning myself out on his music completely from overexposure. So I'm taking my time.

The works I've heard thus far are the 5th and 6th symphonies, the Memorial to Lidice, the Sinfonietta Giocosa, the first 4 string quartets, the Madrigals for violin and viola, and... probably something else. My favorite thing that I've heard thus far is that Sinfonietta. Great piece.

One of these days I will get a complete set of his symphonies. I'm thinking of getting the Bryden Thomson cycle on Chandos. Or maybe the Belohlavek (sp?) cycle.

Sorry I came to this post so late and I have no idea how your progress is going with Martinů's music, but allow me to extend some of my own experience and I hopefully can provide you with some things to possibly check out in the future. Yes, you must be careful with ol' Martinů as it's quite easy to reach a burnout of his music, but this is also a part of his charm I think. The fact that he can write music that makes you want to hear one work after another really speaks volumes of the whole infectious nature of the music. It's like a bag of fantastic potato chips, you simply cannot have just one and before you know it you finished the whole bag because they were just that good. :) One of the addicting aspects of his music, for me, is his approach to rhythm. Those glorious syncopations! They get under your skin and then top those off with some Moravian folk melodies or melodies that resemble some kind of folk melody and then you have a recipe for a delicious musical meal. Also, his approach to harmony is wonderful, which, no doubt, was shaped by his Impressionistically influenced early years and the teachings of Albert Roussel. There's also a lean quality to the music, which I think was fully formed during his exposure to Stravinsky and Les Six. There are just so many ingredients to Martinů that on paper you often wonder how he's able to pull it all off with such an unmistakable style of his own. I believe there's a special kind of humanity to Martinů's music that gives it its' own life and jolts the listener like electricity travels through one plug to another. There has been much talk about the man here and I urge you to do some reading about him. He lived a fascinating life and even though he was essentially 'a man without a country' you know he's Czech from the opening measures of any piece because of earthiness that pervades so much of his music. Even though I imagine there's a smile behind many of the works, we mustn't forget that there is a darker nature to the composer, which works like the String Sextet, Field Mass, and Double Concerto for Two String Orchestras, Piano, and Timpani demonstrate extremely well. But, hey, enough of my fanboy gushing! As for what symphony cycles to check out, do get the Bělohlávek with the BBC SO on Onyx Classics. I have come to the conclusion that it's the best cycle available. Another choice, and quite different from Bělohlávek, would be Järvi's on BIS (w/ the Bamberger Symphoniker). I think both of these cycles show these symphonies is the best possible light. I wouldn't bother with Thomson's on Chandos as I feel that so much of his interpretation is over-exaggerated and just way too aggressive. I would also urge you to check out more of his concerti, ballets, choral works, and chamber music. Of the many operas he composed, I have to say I was most impressed with Juliette, but Ariane contains one of the most exquisite arias I've ever heard in it and it's Neo-Baroque sound-world might be interesting for you, especially if you pair it with the more dream-like Juliette. Geez....man, I really must stop now as I'm sure this is a bit take in for now. Let me end by saying that I'm absolutely thrilled by your Martinů listening and I hope you continue to explore this astonishing composer's music more in-depth.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alek Hidell on September 15, 2019, 06:11:21 PM
I'm going to repeat here that I'm jonesing for a Martinů box. Maybe not the complete works as that would probably be too unwieldy (and besides, I doubt if all his works have even been recorded) - but a "best of" set would be greatly welcome. You know, the complete symphonies and string quartets, a healthy dose of other chamber music, vocal works, opera, etc.

For any record company suits who might be reading, get to work on that, willya? (And a Morton Feldman box, too, while you're at it.) :D

Unfortunately, there isn't a 'complete' Martinů box available and if there was, that would be one giant set! If you like SQs, do get the Panocha Quartet set on Supraphon. For the symphonies, as I have suggested to vers la flamme, the Bělohlávek set is a must-own. One of the great vocal recordings to help ease you into his sound-world even if they are early works is this recording:

It's quite difficult telling someone who is new to Martinů's music where to begin, because, for me, there wasn't a good place to start. I just dove right in and, before I knew it, I had a general idea of where I was going and what to look for.

Alek Hidell

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 18, 2019, 12:52:48 PM
Unfortunately, there isn't a 'complete' Martinů box available and if there was, that would be one giant set! If you like SQs, do get the Panocha Quartet set on Supraphon. For the symphonies, as I have suggested to vers la flamme, the Bělohlávek set is a must-own. One of the great vocal recordings to help ease you into his sound-world even if they are early works is this recording:

It's quite difficult telling someone who is new to Martinů's music where to begin, because, for me, there wasn't a good place to start. I just dove right in and, before I knew it, I had a general idea of where I was going and what to look for.

Yeah, I only wish such a box were available.

I already have the Panocha SQ set, and while I don't (yet) have the Bělohlávek cycle, I do have Järvi and Neumann. I haven't even listened to the Neumann yet, but expect to soon.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 18, 2019, 12:52:48 PM
For the symphonies, as I have suggested to vers la flamme, the Bělohlávek set is a must-own.

Well, you've really done a 180 on your opinion of this set! ;)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Daverz

Quote from: kyjo on October 18, 2019, 08:01:40 PM

Ah, that old set?  I'm on to the Meister set now.  Come to think of it, probably time for a new cycle soon.  8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on October 18, 2019, 08:01:40 PM

I really have come to appreciate it more and more. The performances just feel so right to my ears. Each symphony is marvelously performed.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Alek Hidell on October 18, 2019, 06:18:50 PM
Yeah, I only wish such a box were available.

I already have the Panocha SQ set, and while I don't (yet) have the Bělohlávek cycle, I do have Järvi and Neumann. I haven't even listened to the Neumann yet, but expect to soon.

What other Martinů recordings do you own? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on October 18, 2019, 08:26:00 PM
Ah, that old set?  I'm on to the Meister set now.  Come to think of it, probably time for a new cycle soon.  8)

I didn't really care much for the Meister cycle. I felt it lacked a certain spark to it. While I would love another symphony set from a newcomer, it would be more nice to have works of his that haven't been recorded yet. Are you reading this Supraphon? Get to work people! :)

vers la flamme

Thanks for the words, Mirror Image. I have not been listening to Martinu as much lately as I was when I made that post a couple months ago. I still find him a fascinating composer, but just haven't been as much in the mood for his style of music as of late. I must say, though, your enthusiasm for his music is infectious. Reading your posts lately has me wanting to revisit Martinu's music. I am in the process of listening through the entire Mahler symphonies, but I reckon when I'm done it might be high time to pick up a Martinu symphony cycle and go through the same process. I have only heard the 5th and 6th symphonies, both of which are completely different from one another, and from what I gather the first four are all quite unique too. For what it's worth, Belohlavek/BBC is the one I was leaning toward, and I think you just pushed me over the fence – I shall have to pick it up.

One thing I appreciate about Martinu is his extreme prolificness, and his high degree of consistency. I would say he stands right at the top of all the early 20th century composers in both respects.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 20, 2019, 04:37:40 PM
Thanks for the words, Mirror Image. I have not been listening to Martinu as much lately as I was when I made that post a couple months ago. I still find him a fascinating composer, but just haven't been as much in the mood for his style of music as of late. I must say, though, your enthusiasm for his music is infectious. Reading your posts lately has me wanting to revisit Martinu's music. I am in the process of listening through the entire Mahler symphonies, but I reckon when I'm done it might be high time to pick up a Martinu symphony cycle and go through the same process. I have only heard the 5th and 6th symphonies, both of which are completely different from one another, and from what I gather the first four are all quite unique too. For what it's worth, Belohlavek/BBC is the one I was leaning toward, and I think you just pushed me over the fence – I shall have to pick it up.

One thing I appreciate about Martinu is his extreme prolificness, and his high degree of consistency. I would say he stands right at the top of all the early 20th century composers in both respects.

You're welcome and if you need any help with Martinů, then don't hesitate to ask! I do wish my buddy Dancing Divertimentian was here and the same goes for Luke as I consider both of these members to have of equal enthusiasm about this composer's music as I have. I think the Bělohlávek is the one to get, but it shouldn't be your only cycle. Järvi is a fine supplement as would be Neumann's, although Neumann is a bit too 'soft' in his approach to Martinů, IMHO. But here we're only talking about the symphonies, he wrote so much great music in all genres. The only genre of Martinů I don't know too well are his works for solo piano, but I've heard many of the better works in this genre and, while I do find much of this music pleasant, I wouldn't say it shows the composer at his best. Puppets would be fine introduction to his solo piano music. One thing you could do is look at the Martinů discography on Supraphon, which have recorded more of his music than any other label, especially of works that you just can't find on any other label like The Butterfly That Stamped or Bouquet of Flowers to give two out so many other examples. As for Martinů being prolific, yes, but if he wasn't consistent, then it would be just a bunch of notes on paper and with nothing memorable to say. One of the things that I find intriguing about his writing is the almost stream-of-consciousness type of approach he developed, but even though it sounds like it's free, it's so highly structured that you wouldn't really recognize the music as being such. I think he developed a really organic approach to composition, especially as his music matured. Anyway, I should stop typing now...

Maestro267

I had the Neumann cycle at one time, but something very nitpicky about it put me off, and has unfortunately stopped me from getting the full best out of Martinu's symphonies, and that's the cymbal crashes on that recording. They have nowhere near the impact I think they should have. It's like they used a ride cymbal instead of proper crash cymbals.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 21, 2019, 08:34:49 AM
I had the Neumann cycle at one time, but something very nitpicky about it put me off, and has unfortunately stopped me from getting the full best out of Martinu's symphonies, and that's the cymbal crashes on that recording. They have nowhere near the impact I think they should have. It's like they used a ride cymbal instead of proper crash cymbals.

Do give another cycle a listen.

Edit:

Let me add that I believe Martinů's symphonies are some of the most important of the 20th Century. I rank them alongside of RVW's or Shostakovich's. They're just that good. You should give Martin Turnovský's performance (w/ the CzPO) of Symphony No. 4 a listen. If this doesn't convince you of the greatness of this symphonic cycle, nothing will.

Mirror Image

Quote from: jidlomonster on February 02, 2019, 07:40:32 AM
It's always been a great pleasure to see such a lively interest in this music of Martinů on this forum.  As chairman of the International Martinů Circle, (IMC) I want to do what I can to widen the appreciation of his music to the best of my ability - so I hope you don't mind my using some space here to advertise a new initiative.

The IMC  has launched a Facebook Group, open to IMC members and non-members alike. Members of the group will be able to interact with other enthusiasts, share opinions on Martinů's music, draw attention to favourite recordings or videos, advertise performances, arrange to meet other members at Martinů events or even canvas opinions by conducting a poll.  In short, it is an excellent tool for bringing Martinů fans closer together and spreading the word about his extraordinary legacy.

The Facebook Group is called 'Bohuslav Martinů enthusiasts' and can found from outside Facebook by  typing the following address directly into your browser:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/internationalmartinucircle

If there are any questions you want to ask, I am happy to be contacted by email at michael.crump@sky.com

I'm about to start reading your book, Martinů and the Symphony, Mr. Crump. Even though I'm not a good reader of music notation, there seems to be a good bit of historical and background information into each work you discussed for me to take away a better of understanding of the composer's history. I have read a good bit of the book Martinů's Letters Home and have found this to be a good glimpse into his own personality. I want to thank you for your scholarly work and for your continued advocacy of this truly brilliant composer. He's long been a favorite of mine and his music continues to enrich my own life.

Karl Henning

Very cool. After Schnittke, I need to apply myself to listening to more of the Martinů in my library.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 23, 2019, 08:14:48 AM
Very cool. After Schnittke, I need to apply myself to listening to more of the Martinů in my library.

I'll certainly be sitting on the sidelines awaiting your Martinů listening sessions, Karl. 8)

staxomega

I streamed the Charles Mackeras recording of Špalíček last night and really enjoyed it, thank you Mirror Image for the suggestions in the Listening To thread. Any suggestions for an exceptional performance or two available on CD (or SACD)?

Mirror Image

Quote from: staxomega on October 24, 2019, 07:26:00 AM
I streamed the Charles Mackeras recording of Špalíček last night and really enjoyed it, thank you Mirror Image for the suggestions in the Listening To thread. Any suggestions for an exceptional performance or two available on CD (or SACD)?

The complete ballet of Špalíček has only been recorded once, but it's an absolutely essential purchase, IMHO:

[asin]B000VX1QFO[/asin]

The other performances of Špalíček on record are just of the suites from the ballet: Mackerras and Järvi.