Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 24, 2019, 07:31:41 AM
The complete ballet of Špalíček has only been recorded once, but it's an absolutely essential purchase, IMHO:

[asin]B000VX1QFO[/asin]

Another vote for this recording, which is excellent.

--Bruce

Biffo

The complete ballet of Špalíček has only been recorded once, but it's an absolutely essential purchase, IMHO:

[asin]B000VX1QFO[/asin]

The other performances of Špalíček on record are just of the suites from the ballet: Mackerras and Järvi.

+1, Wonderful album.

SymphonicAddict

I've only heard the Spalicek's 2nd Suite on a Chandos disc and I thought that the music is unmistakably fantastic. This is a work I must listen to very soon.

vers la flamme

Opinions on the various Martinu complete symphony sets out there? I have heard bits of the Bryden Thomson and the Jiri Belohlavek (sp?) and really enjoyed what I heard of each, great sound both. I have a disc of Karel Ancerl conducting Martinu's 5th and 6th, and it's really good, but the sound is rough even by mid-1950s standards.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 24, 2019, 12:04:09 PM
Opinions on the various Martinu complete symphony sets out there? I have heard bits of the Bryden Thomson and the Jiri Belohlavek (sp?) and really enjoyed what I heard of each, great sound both. I have a disc of Karel Ancerl conducting Martinu's 5th and 6th, and it's really good, but the sound is rough even by mid-1950s standards.

I own complete sets by Järvi, Neumann Thomson plus Ancerl 5 & 6, Flor 5 & 6 and Turnovsky 4. My favorites, especially the three earliest symphonies, are Järvi's. Can't quite characterize why that is. He just seems more exciting. Plus there is that great BIS sound.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 24, 2019, 10:53:27 AM
I've only heard the Spalicek's 2nd Suite on a Chandos disc and I thought that the music is unmistakably fantastic. This is a work I must listen to very soon.

Yes you definitely should! :)

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 24, 2019, 12:04:09 PM

Here's what my own list would look like:

Symphony No. 1 - Bělohlávek/CzPO (Chandos)
Symphony No. 2 - Järvi/Bambergers (BIS)
Symphony No. 3 - Bělohlávek/CzPO (Supraphon)
Symphony No. 4 - Turnovský/CzPO (Apex/Warner)
Symphony No. 5 - Neumann/CzPO (Supraphon)
Symphony No. 6, "Fantaisies symphoniques" - Munch/BSO (RCA)

amw

I have Bělohlávek BBCSO, Neumann, Meister, Thomson, Válek, plus the Bělohlávek CzPo 1 & 3-6, Weller Belgium 1 & 4, Kout 6, Rozhdestvensky 2 3 5 & 6, Flor 5 & 6. I might also have the Järvi set somewhere. My conclusion has been that all of them are pretty good, which is probably unhelpful. I probably enjoy the Rozhdestvensky, Neumann and Bělohlávek CzPo the most though.

Mirror Image

Quote from: amw on October 24, 2019, 08:35:50 PM
I have Bělohlávek BBCSO, Neumann, Meister, Thomson, Válek, plus the Bělohlávek CzPo 1 & 3-6, Weller Belgium 1 & 4, Kout 6, Rozhdestvensky 2 3 5 & 6, Flor 5 & 6. I might also have the Järvi set somewhere. My conclusion has been that all of them are pretty good, which is probably unhelpful. I probably enjoy the Rozhdestvensky, Neumann and Bělohlávek CzPo the most though.

How's the audio quality in the Rozhdestvensky recordings?

amw

Listenable, not great but pretty average for USSR in 1985.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 24, 2019, 07:32:26 PM
Yes you definitely should! :)

Here's what my own list would look like:

Symphony No. 1 - Bělohlávek/CzPO (Chandos)
Symphony No. 2 - Järvi/Bambergers (BIS)
Symphony No. 3 - Bělohlávek/CzPO (Supraphon)
Symphony No. 4 - Turnovský/CzPO (Apex/Warner)
Symphony No. 5 - Neumann/CzPO (Supraphon)
Symphony No. 6, "Fantaisies symphoniques" - Munch/BSO (RCA)

I largely agree with John's list (of those I know). Turnovsky brings an unrivalled propulsive energy to No.4 and Munch's No.6 is powerful and moving. I've always enjoyed the Ancerl recordings as well as the Thomson boxed set.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: amw on October 24, 2019, 08:48:04 PM
Listenable, not great but pretty average for USSR in 1985.

Thanks! 8)

Quote from: vandermolen on October 24, 2019, 09:52:37 PM
I largely agree with John's list (of those I know). Turnovsky brings an unrivalled propulsive energy to No.4 and Munch's No.6 is powerful and moving. I've always enjoyed the Ancerl recordings as well as the Thomson boxed set.

My biggest issue with the Ančerl recording of Symphonies Nos. 5 & 6 is the audio quality as someone here pointed out is just too abrasive for my tastes. But I can certainly hear the greatness in his performances for sure. I think Ančerl's other Martinů recording (coupled with Janáček's Sinfonietta) has better audio or, at least, the best I can remember. Thomson I used to enjoy but over the years I've found his Martinů to be rather exaggerated. Agreed about Turnovský and Munch.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 25, 2019, 06:05:40 AM
Thanks! 8)

My biggest issue with the Ančerl recording of Symphonies Nos. 5 & 6 is the audio quality as someone here pointed out is just too abrasive for my tastes. But I can certainly hear the greatness in his performances for sure. I think Ančerl's other Martinů recording (coupled with Janáček's Sinfonietta) has better audio or, at least, the best I can remember. Thomson I used to enjoy but over the years I've found his Martinů to be rather exaggerated. Agreed about Turnovský and Munch.
I've always liked this disc very much - all three works (sorry, all four. I can't count!  ::))
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on October 25, 2019, 07:14:12 AM
I've always liked this disc very much - all three works (sorry, all four. I can't count!  ::))

8) If only Ančerl had recorded Estampes. The trilogy would be complete.

staxomega

[asin]B000VX1QFO[/asin]

Thanks all. This is available to stream on Youtube and I really enjoyed it, I'll add the CD to my buy list. Does it in include the libretti?

Mirror Image

Quote from: staxomega on October 25, 2019, 07:00:35 PM
Thanks all. This is available to stream on Youtube and I really enjoyed it, I'll add the CD to my buy list. Does it in include the libretti?

Very nice! Yes, it includes the libretti. It's a nice CD package with some nice artwork and informative liner notes, too.

Edit: The other works on this recording are quite fine as well.

staxomega

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 25, 2019, 07:07:53 PM
Very nice! Yes, it includes the libretti. It's a nice CD package with some nice artwork and informative liner notes, too.

Edit: The other works on this recording are quite fine as well.

Superb, thanks. I think I will grab the Jarvi CD as well; while I enjoyed the full thing more sometimes those ballet highlights/edited down for LP running length versions are nice to have when I'm pressed for time.

Mirror Image

Quote from: staxomega on October 25, 2019, 07:44:22 PM
Superb, thanks. I think I will grab the Jarvi CD as well; while I enjoyed the full thing more sometimes those ballet highlights/edited down for LP running length versions are nice to have when I'm pressed for time.

You're welcome and, yes, it's nice to have those suites as well. Sometimes a person doesn't have enough to time to hear an entire ballet.

Mirror Image

Speaking of ballets, it'd be nice if Supraphon would issue this recording on CD:

jidlomonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 23, 2019, 07:46:05 AM
I'm about to start reading your book, Martinů and the Symphony, Mr. Crump. Even though I'm not a good reader of music notation, there seems to be a good bit of historical and background information into each work you discussed for me to take away a better of understanding of the composer's history. I have read a good bit of the book Martinů's Letters Home and have found this to be a good glimpse into his own personality. I want to thank you for your scholarly work and for your continued advocacy of this truly brilliant composer. He's long been a favorite of mine and his music continues to enrich my own life.

Thank you for letting me know - I do hope you enjoy reading the book.  The three stylistic chapters - 4 to 6 - might be hard going if, as you say, you're not a good reader of music.  I tried to write the symphonic analyses in such a way that people without access to the scores could follow the argument.  This approach meant that I had to put in a fair amount of description, which annoys some people, but I hope it works.  I know of some people who have read the book without even knowing the symphonies (which I can't quite understand) and they liked the descriptive element.  Although it's unlikely that I will ever get the chance to put out a revised edition of the book, I'd be interested to know how you get on, just in case.  Good luck!

Mirror Image

Quote from: jidlomonster on October 26, 2019, 01:57:48 AM
Thank you for letting me know - I do hope you enjoy reading the book.  The three stylistic chapters - 4 to 6 - might be hard going if, as you say, you're not a good reader of music.  I tried to write the symphonic analyses in such a way that people without access to the scores could follow the argument.  This approach meant that I had to put in a fair amount of description, which annoys some people, but I hope it works.  I know of some people who have read the book without even knowing the symphonies (which I can't quite understand) and they liked the descriptive element.  Although it's unlikely that I will ever get the chance to put out a revised edition of the book, I'd be interested to know how you get on, just in case.  Good luck!

Thank you, Michael. So far I've been able to grasp your writing style fairly well. There's a lot of information here, so I'm just going to take my time with it. Thanks for the fast reply.