Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Anyone have any favorite recordings of his symphonies that you want to share?

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on May 02, 2022, 01:03:19 PM

Just buy the Bělohlávek set on Onyx. My second choice would be Thomson on Chandos.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 02, 2022, 09:18:35 AM
Well up to Martinu in selectively perusing my collection - will spend a few days w/ this composer - way back in 2008 I posted having only 2 CDs of his music -  ::)  I'm now up to about 20 discs and listening to the cello works shown below; also decided to order the 4-CD box w/ Hogwood and the Piano Quintets (excellent reviews on Fanfare and Classics Today) (last two pics) - attached at the bottom are my current CDs which will shortly expand to two dozen! (click to enlarge)  :laugh:

In reviewing his list of compositions HERE - and as most of you likely know  "there is a catalog with the prefix "H" based on the comprehensive catalog of Martinů's works prepared by the Belgian musicologist Harry Halbreich, which was first published in 1968. A second revised and expanded edition was completed in 2006." The numbers go up to 384 although the composer likely wrote more?  Not going to get into his ballets, operas or other vocal music but I'm sure there is still a LOT left, e.g. solo piano?  Dave :)

All fine choices, Dave. I own them all and can confirm that they're great. The 4-CD box set on Hyperion was a great surprise to me (I bought them all individually --- well before there was a dedicated box set). I believe I've listed all of my Martinů recordings many pages back, but that list is obsolete now as I've updated it since making that post.

amw

I like all the recordings I've heard but I guess I would go with the following:
1 - Bělohlávek Chandos
2 - Bělohlávek Onyx
3 - Neumann, or possibly Rozhdestvensky
4 - Turnovsky, or Bělohlávek Supraphon, but all the recordings are at least good
5 - Rozhdestvensky
6 - expect to accumulate a bunch of recordings. I think Neumann is possibly the best, but I go back and forth between it, Sawallisch, Kout, Bělohlávek Onyx, Järvi, at various times. I don't yet know the Ančerl.

Bělohlávek Onyx is, as stated above, the most well-balanced complete cycle, and all the performances in it are good. If you listen to it and wish the music was louder and more driving and in-your-face, look for Thomson; if you listen to it and wish the music was a bit more flowing and Czech-sounding with an authentic orchestral timbre, look for Neumann; if you listen to it and wish the music was softer and gentler and gave you more space to breathe, Martinů may not be for you, or you may perhaps get some mileage out of Cornelius Meister.

staxomega

This might only be because Järvi/Bamburg was the first cycle I heard, to me this one that has that palpable "air" or "magic" to it (not saying it doesn't exist in others). Something so vague is hugely subjective, and might not be my impression had this not been the first cycle I heard. I like Thomson, Bělohlávek/BBC (I actually didn't know he made a cycle for Chandos!), and Neumann, and am happy to own all these cycles. I'm a relative late comer to Martinů and it has grown to become one of my favorite 20c symphony cycles.

The other reason I might think this about the Järvi is because BIS' recording is flat out stunning, and the dynamics are huge. It makes the pianissimo parts all the more special (I guess that "magic") when it goes from that to full bore in a split second, of course helped by Järvi's style. The other nice thing is the older black border CDs are pretty much dollar bin CDs, I think I assembled the full cycle for under $5.

Mirror Image

Quote from: hvbias on May 02, 2022, 04:23:19 PM
This might only be because Järvi/Bamburg was the first cycle I heard, to me this one that has that palpable "air" or "magic" to it (not saying it doesn't exist in others). Something so vague is hugely subjective, and might not be my impression had this not been the first cycle I heard. I like Thomson, Bělohlávek/BBC (I actually didn't know he made a cycle for Chandos!), and Neumann, and am happy to own all these cycles. I'm a relative late comer to Martinů and it has grown to become one of my favorite 20c symphony cycles.

The other reason I might think this about the Järvi is because BIS' recording is flat out stunning, and the dynamics are huge. It makes the pianissimo parts all the more special (I guess that "magic") when it goes from that to full bore in a split second, of course helped by Järvi's style. The other nice thing is the older black border CDs are pretty much dollar bin CDs, I think I assembled the full cycle for under $5.

I LOVE the Järvi cycle! It most certainly would be my third choice. Bělohlávek actually didn't record a complete cycle for Chandos. He only recorded the 1st, 4th and 6th. He also didn't complete his cycle on Supraphon either (here he recorded the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th). Only when he arrived in England, did he do the complete cycle. I run hot/cold with the Neumann cycle. I don't think it's as propulsive as it should be, but some other members here like his cycle. He does really well in the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th. Anyway, count me as another fan of the Järvi/Bamberg cycle. I'm crossing my fingers that Jakub Hrůša records a complete cycle in the future.

DavidW

I think Thomson was the one I used to own way back in the day (haven't listened to them in oh more than a decade).  I'll be trying the Onyx Belohlavek.

amw

Quote from: hvbias on May 02, 2022, 04:23:19 PM
This might only be because Järvi/Bamburg was the first cycle I heard, to me this one that has that palpable "air" or "magic" to it (not saying it doesn't exist in others).
Honestly, it's also pretty great, and I think I give it somewhat lower marks than Bělohlávek Onyx (/Supraphon/Chandos) only because the mix doesn't emphasise the piano enough for my tastes. (Nor does Neumann, but Neumann has the "Czech sound" I guess, which no one else really manages.) It's also a very good "middle-of-the-road" starting point as an introduction to Martinů, though, and was my first cycle too. (And it was available on Brilliant Classics at one point—maybe still is—so it's probably the cheapest.)

Something so vague is hugely subjective,
For sure. My picks are extremely subjective as well.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 02, 2022, 02:08:58 PM
All fine choices, Dave. I own them all and can confirm that they're great. The 4-CD box set on Hyperion was a great surprise to me (I bought them all individually --- well before there was a dedicated box set). I believe I've listed all of my Martinů recordings many pages back, but that list is obsolete now as I've updated it since making that post.

Hi John - looked back in the thread and found your list of Martinú works - IMPRESSIVE w/ 6 symphony cycles! - believe that I have his 'instrumental output' covered at least w/ one selection for my needs -  :laugh:  But I do plan to give Jiri Belohlavek a listen on Spotify - today will spend some time w/ the remaining recordings below. BUT, for those curious about which of one or several symphony cycles to purchase, our own Jens has a nice article HERE; also, those curious about the Bryden set can read some of the attached reviews, if interested.  Dave :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 03, 2022, 08:02:04 AM
Hi John - looked back in the thread and found your list of Martinú works - IMPRESSIVE w/ 6 symphony cycles! - believe that I have his 'instrumental output' covered at least w/ one selection for my needs -  :laugh:  But I do plan to give Jiri Belohlavek a listen on Spotify - today will spend some time w/ the remaining recordings below. BUT, for those curious about which of one or several symphony cycles to purchase, our own Jens has a nice article HERE; also, those curious about the Bryden set can read some of the attached reviews, if interested.  Dave :)

Great stuff, Dave. 8) Ah yes, I recall Jens' blog about the Martinů symphony cycles. I miss his contributions to this forum. He used to post a good bit, but I haven't seen him on here in quite some time.

Spotted Horses

Overall I find Neumann the best option. (You have to beware of ripping the CDs, which were remastered with pre-emphasis and only iTunes/Apple Music has the brains remove the pre-emphasis when ripping. Otherwise you must remove it to get correct sound; I use sox.) I also like Valek/Prague on Supraphon, which doesn't seem to have many fans other than me.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Daverz

Quote from: Spotted Horses on May 03, 2022, 07:15:44 PM
Overall I find Neumann the best option. (You have to beware of ripping the CDs, which were remastered with pre-emphasis and only iTunes/Apple Music has the brains remove the pre-emphasis when ripping. Otherwise you must remove it to get correct sound; I use sox.) I also like Valek/Prague on Supraphon, which doesn't seem to have many fans other than me.

dBPowerAmp can also be set up to apply de-emphasis when ripping.

However, I think this is only a problem with the earlier box issue, not with the later postage stamp re-issues.  Supraphon had stopped using pre-emphasis by the time of the postage stamp series.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Daverz on May 03, 2022, 07:26:56 PM
dBPowerAmp can also be set up to apply de-emphasis when ripping.

However, I think this is only a problem with the earlier box issue, not with the later postage stamp re-issues.  Supraphon had stopped using pre-emphasis by the time of the postage stamp series.

True enough, my set looks like this.

But it seems like the postage stamp style was only issued as individual discs. Nevertheless, I found it worth the effort to seek out Neumann, whatever the inconvenience involved.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

This is the Neumann set I own:

So is there a difference in sound between the above set and this one below?

There's also this Japanese issued set:

staxomega

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 02, 2022, 05:57:04 PM
I LOVE the Järvi cycle! It most certainly would be my third choice. Bělohlávek actually didn't record a complete cycle for Chandos. He only recorded the 1st, 4th and 6th. He also didn't complete his cycle on Supraphon either (here he recorded the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th). Only when he arrived in England, did he do the complete cycle. I run hot/cold with the Neumann cycle. I don't think it's as propulsive as it should be, but some other members here like his cycle. He does really well in the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th. Anyway, count me as another fan of the Järvi/Bamberg cycle. I'm crossing my fingers that Jakub Hrůša records a complete cycle in the future.

Quote from: amw on May 02, 2022, 06:08:16 PM
Honestly, it's also pretty great, and I think I give it somewhat lower marks than Bělohlávek Onyx (/Supraphon/Chandos) only because the mix doesn't emphasise the piano enough for my tastes. (Nor does Neumann, but Neumann has the "Czech sound" I guess, which no one else really manages.) It's also a very good "middle-of-the-road" starting point as an introduction to Martinů, though, and was my first cycle too. (And it was available on Brilliant Classics at one point—maybe still is—so it's probably the cheapest.)
For sure. My picks are extremely subjective as well.

Bělohlávek/BBC/Onyx could definitely be my favorite cycle, I find it quite outstanding. The last time I heard Thomson was a few years ago, I'll play it this week. One other reason the Järvi has stood out to me is there is a lot going on in these symphonies (Martinů would be the first symphonist that comes to mind for someone that pays particularly close attention to color and texture), but particularly in the higher register instruments, there is a fluttering dance like quality to them in many places. I hear this in the Bělohlávek as well. amw I certainly agree with you about the Neumann, I like it primarily for the Czech Philharmonic. Recently I've been listening a lot of Neumann, Ančerl, Talich in Dvořák, Mahler, Stravinsky, and Janáček.

I am overdue for exploring outside out cycle recordings, and hearing some of the more recent cycles.

Brian

Has anyone ever heard any information about plans, sketches, or fragments of a Symphony No. 7?

Daverz

Brian

relm1

A shout out to "Vanishing Night" which I listened to again a few nights ago.  Such a strong early work.  Sort of a Symphony or a 45 minute symphonic poem in three movements, but either way, a very satisfying and dramatic work.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Brian on July 04, 2022, 08:52:40 AM
Has anyone ever heard any information about plans, sketches, or fragments of a Symphony No. 7?

There were plans for a further symphony commissioned by the Dallas Symphony Orchestra, for 1000 $, which the composer agreed upon, in late 1955, by phone, with the conductor Walter Hendl. The work was to be premiered in the following season, and written in a 'fantastic style, in the vein of the 6th Symphony' that the orchestra had recently performed.

Eventually, the work wasn't composed, and the Parables apparently came out in stead, as his last major, more or less symphonic statement.