Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on July 20, 2022, 06:24:51 AM
A shout out to "Vanishing Night" which I listened to again a few nights ago.  Such a strong early work.  Sort of a Symphony or a 45 minute symphonic poem in three movements, but either way, a very satisfying and dramatic work.
How interesting! Just sampled it on You Tube. One for my wish list.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 20, 2022, 10:33:26 PM
There were plans for a further symphony commissioned by the Dallas Symphony Orchestra, for 1000 $, which the composer agreed upon, in late 1955, by phone, with the conductor Walter Hendl. The work was to be premiered in the following season, and written in a 'fantastic style, in the vein of the 6th Symphony' that the orchestra had recently performed.

Eventually, the work wasn't composed, and the Parables apparently came out in stead, as his last major, more or less symphonic statement.
Thank you! I asked because I had heard locally about the Dallas Symphony commission of the Seventh but did not know any more context. Wonder what happened to the work and the Dallas connection. The Parables was premiered in Boston and dedicated to Munch so obviously something changed on the business end of things.

kyjo

Quote from: relm1 on July 20, 2022, 06:24:51 AM
A shout out to "Vanishing Night" which I listened to again a few nights ago.  Such a strong early work.  Sort of a Symphony or a 45 minute symphonic poem in three movements, but either way, a very satisfying and dramatic work.

+1 I should revisit this work, as I have very positive recollections of it. Martinu's earlier works don't deserve to be overlooked - see also his luminous song cycles Magic Nights and Nipponari and his dramatic vocal tone poem Czech Rhapsody (all three works are coupled on a Supraphon CD with Belohlavek conducting).
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

relm1

Quote from: kyjo on August 10, 2022, 04:11:32 PM
+1 I should revisit this work, as I have very positive recollections of it. Martinu's earlier works don't deserve to be overlooked - see also his luminous song cycles Magic Nights and Nipponari and his dramatic vocal tone poem Czech Rhapsody (all three works are coupled on a Supraphon CD with Belohlavek conducting).

Thanks - I will add that CD to my listening list.

kyjo

Quote from: relm1 on August 10, 2022, 05:06:36 PM
Thanks - I will add that CD to my listening list.

It's fantastic, Karim - one of my favorite Martinu CDs.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 03, 2022, 09:43:46 AMGreat stuff, Dave. 8) Ah yes, I recall Jens' blog about the Martinů symphony cycles. I miss his contributions to this forum. He used to post a good bit, but I haven't seen him on here in quite some time.

I'm in the process of poking my head back into the GMG Forum again. Kind words like these make that all the more pleasant. :-)

Brahmsian

Just placed an order for these:

DavidW

Will that be a first listen for those works?  Or just branching out to different performances?

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on February 27, 2023, 06:53:53 AMWill that be a first listen for those works?  Or just branching out to different performances?

Going blind for the string quartets.

I had sampled the symphonies a long time ago (which at the time had not made a good impression).  I believe it was the performances conducted by Jiří Bělohlávek for the BBC Orchestra. I decided to give the composer another chance but with different recordings of the symphonies.  And the Thompson RSNO/Chandos were dirt cheap.

aligreto

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 27, 2023, 06:20:23 AMJust placed an order for these:

I think that the Thompson cycle is a very good set, Ray.
I do not know the String Quartets.

Brahmsian

Quote from: aligreto on February 27, 2023, 07:05:52 AMI think that the Thompson cycle is a very good set, Ray.
I do not know the String Quartets.

The reviews on the Thompson cycle I found to be overall very positive, including by several members here (looking back at old posts).

DavidW

I think that Martinu's string quartets are exceptional, some of the best of the century.  I would put them right up there with Villa Lobos and one tier down from Bartok and Shostakovich.

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on February 27, 2023, 07:13:26 AMI think that Martinu's string quartets are exceptional, some of the best of the century.  I would put them right up there with Villa Lobos and one tier down from Bartok and Shostakovich.

Good to hear David.  I guess this blind squirrel found a delicious nut!  :D

Papy Oli

ChamberNut
OrchestralNut

MartiNut

Olivier

Brahmsian

Brahmsian

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 27, 2023, 06:20:23 AMJust placed an order for these:

And for anyone interested in this 3 disc set, it is at a great price right now at Presto.

Martinu - Thomson

aligreto

aligreto

Quote from: DavidW on February 27, 2023, 07:13:26 AMI think that Martinu's string quartets are exceptional, some of the best of the century.  I would put them right up there with Villa Lobos and one tier down from Bartok and Shostakovich.

OK. Thank you. The Martinu String Quartets warrant investigation so.

Symphonic Addict

Big thumbs up for the string quartets from me too. There's no waste whatsoever with those inventive and witty works.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Great to see all the love for the quartets!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot