The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

<< < (2/261) > >>

lukeottevanger:
Big Martinu fan here, just coming down from a recent binge, accompanied by Safranek's beautiful biography. Just a few more for the list:

Symphony 4 - Turnovsky (accept no imitations - one of the great recordings, full stop, IMO)

Bures Cantatas

The Parables - orchestral late Martinu at its most glowing and sublime.

Frescos of Piero della Francesca - ditto, not far behind the above

Memorial to Lidice

(The Ancerl disc which couples the last three with the 5th Symphony (hardly a lesser work itself) is surely one of the finest Martinu discs of all)

Vigile - his last piece, a deeply moving nocturne-like work for organ.

Brewski:

--- Quote from: pjme on October 04, 2007, 11:19:16 AM --- Hyperion will soon issue a disc (vol.1) with Martinu's complete oeuvre for violin (and orch./instr.)

BOHUSLAV MARTINU (1890-1959)
The Complete Music for Violin and Orchestra - 1
BOHUSLAV MATOUSEK violin
JANNE THOMSEN flute 1–3
RÉGIS PASQUIER violin 4–6
JENNIFER KOH violin 7–9
CZECH PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA
CHRISTOPHER HOGWOOD conductor 

--- End quote ---

This sounds great, and I've heard Jennifer Koh several times live--she's fantastic.  She did the Ligeti Violin Concerto here a couple of years ago.

And Luke, I don't know that recording of the Fourth Symphony, which also sounds very enticing.  I do have (at the moment) two different recordings of the Memorial to Lidice, including Christoph Eschenbach's with Philadelphia.  PS, totally by chance, my mother happened to hear it last season with Osmo Vänskä and the Minnesota Orchestra and wrote saying "what a great piece it was." 

--Bruce

lukeottevanger:

--- Quote from: bhodges on October 04, 2007, 11:39:28 AM ---And Luke, I don't know that recording of the Fourth Symphony, which also sounds very enticing...

--- End quote ---

It's one of those very special readings - everything about it is radiant. I've met people - like the French marketseller from whom I bought the Safranek biography - who just start talking about it, and how it was the hook that drew them into Martinu years ago, as it did me.

You can get it very cheap now, with its original coupling (Tre Ricercare). The PC recording on this disc comes from elsewhere, and I don't know it, though it is also, of course, one of Martinu's finest works.

Brewski:
Excellent, thanks!  And PS, I have not read the Safranek book, either--another for the "to read" list.

--Bruce

pjme:
Although I don't count it as one of Martinu's major works, it is a real rarity : the Fantaisie (oboe, piano,stringquartet and Theremin.)

This will work - lots of Martinu works. Nr 32 is the fantaisie...

http://www.ilovemusicvideo.net/artist/Bohuslav+Martinu

I have a good version on Timpani (with Jacques Tchamkerten on ondes Martenot) - but this is the original...Sound is not perfect - Thereministe Carolina Eyck is!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version