Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: erato on October 16, 2007, 05:02:55 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if these turned up cheap on Brilliant soon. The Glazunov symphonies (Polyansky) are just announced. Any views on that, compared to (the also relatively cheap) BIS Glazunov cycle?

The Martinu Symphonies turned up allright on budget price with Chandos it self. ;D
The Glazunov's  released by Brilliant I have allready, and I can tell you, its not my cup of tea.
Also am in the process of playing the BIS cycle and think it better, mind you I still prefer the Orfeo set with Jarvi.
The Naxos cycle is a non starter for me.

The new erato

Quote from: Harry on October 16, 2007, 05:07:32 AM
The Martinu Symphonies turned up allright on budget price with Chandos it self. ;D
The Glazunov's  released by Brilliant I have allready, and I can tell you, its not my cup of tea.
Also am in the process of playing the BIS cycle and think it better, mind you I still prefer the Orfeo set with Jarvi.
The Naxos cycle is a non starter for me.
Thanks, useful reply.

rubio

I think about getting a set of Martinu's symphonies, and I'm wondering if I should go for Neumann or Thomson. The question is basically if the Royal Scottish National Orchestra can compete with the glorious Czech PO in this music? I already have some individual recordings (Ancerl, Sejna, Turnovsky). 

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

vandermolen

Just added a great new Martinu CD to my collection: Symphony No 4, Estampes and Le Depart (Walter Weller, National Orchestra of Belgium) on the Fuga Libera label. The performance of Symphony No 4 is terrific with an especially overpowering slow movement.  The other pieces are very fine too. Strongly recommended.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

mahler10th

Quote from: rubio on January 04, 2008, 02:02:07 AM
The question is basically if the Royal Scottish National Orchestra can compete with the glorious Czech PO in this music? I already have some individual recordings (Ancerl, Sejna, Turnovsky).

Bryden Thomsom and the RSNO are a formiddable force.  I may get this myself.

Dundonnell

Trawling through the JPC/CPO German site for future releases I came across an exciting new Martinu release from Supraphon(due later this month). It is of the 1918 Czech Rhapsody for baritone, chorus and organ, 'Magic Nights'-three songs to Chinese texts for soprano and orchestra, and 'Nipponari'-seven songs for soprano and small orchestra.

These are all early Martinu compositions: 1912-18, but it should be fascinating to hear what Martinu's music sounded like before he travelled to Paris in the twenties.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/8584727?rk=classic&rsk=preview&page=17

Good news for Martinu fans :) :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 02, 2008, 06:27:31 AM
Trawling through the JPC/CPO German site for future releases I came across an exciting new Martinu release from Supraphon(due later this month). It is of the 1918 Czech Rhapsody for baritone, chorus and organ, 'Magic Nights'-three songs to Chinese texts for soprano and orchestra, and 'Nipponari'-seven songs for soprano and small orchestra.

These are all early Martinu compositions: 1912-18, but it should be fascinating to hear what Martinu's music sounded like before he travelled to Paris in the twenties.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/8584727?rk=classic&rsk=preview&page=17

Good news for Martinu fans :) :)

Oh, it's down here too! :) As I said on the WAYLT thread...well, here's what I said snipped from that thread:

Thanks for posting this. Looks very interesting indeed.

Belohlavek is wonderful in Martinu and Dagmar Peckova is a fabulous mezzo that doesn't get the attention she deserves. Hers is the type of voice that can cure the common allergy to vocal recitals.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dundonnell

I did apologise for cross-posting ;D

It was simply that I feared less some of those members who had talked recently about listening to and enjoying Martinu might miss this thread :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Hey, any reason is a good reason for a twin posting of Martinu!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Catison

How is this recording?

Its only $12 at Amazon right now.
-Brett

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I haven't heard it, but I read the reactions of a few people who have, on a list I belong to. The overall response was tepid. Still, for that price it won't hurt very much  :)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Dundonnell

Don't know :(

Sure that I read a review somewhere not that long ago but I've searched back through the last year and a half of Gramophone and International Record Reviews and can't find it :(

You could-almost certainly-do better though with Bryden Thomson(on Chandos) or Vaclav Neumann(Supraphon) or Neeme Jarvi(BIS). Belohlavek has recorded some but not all for Chandos as well. If you want a Czech orchestra then the Neumann set is as good as any.

Catison

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 03, 2008, 06:13:20 AM
Don't know :(

Sure that I read a review somewhere not that long ago but I've searched back through the last year and a half of Gramophone and International Record Reviews and can't find it :(

You could-almost certainly-do better though with Bryden Thomson(on Chandos) or Vaclav Neumann(Supraphon) or Neeme Jarvi(BIS). Belohlavek has recorded some but not all for Chandos as well. If you want a Czech orchestra then the Neumann set is as good as any.

I already have Thomson; I was just wondering how these stack up.  I remember getting Thomson for almost the same price.  Thanks for the info guys.
-Brett

not edward

Quote from: Catison on October 03, 2008, 09:27:42 AM
I already have Thomson; I was just wondering how these stack up.  I remember getting Thomson for almost the same price.  Thanks for the info guys.
I strongly prefer Neumann over Thomson: I found his performances more lively rhythmically and much more distinctively phrased, with some lovely wind playing. I also like Ancerl in 5 and 6, and Belohlavek in 3 and 4.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Catison

Quote from: Catison on October 03, 2008, 05:52:30 AM
How is this recording?

Its only $12 at Amazon right now.

Too many people must have been interested, because now the price is $37.

From Amazon.        Price:   $11.98 + $25.00 sourcing fee & eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime

Ok, I'm not interested anymore, when I can get all three Neumann discs for the same price.
-Brett

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: edward on October 03, 2008, 10:40:55 AM
I strongly prefer Neumann over Thomson: I found his performances more lively rhythmically and much more distinctively phrased, with some lovely wind playing. I also like Ancerl in 5 and 6, and Belohlavek in 3 and 4.

Yes, Neumann is another strong Martinu advocate, in the symphonies and overall.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Catison on October 03, 2008, 10:57:33 AM
Ok, I'm not interested anymore, when I can get all three Neumann discs for the same price.

If all you have is Thomson, then I think the most important thing, if you're fishing for alternatives, is to get the symphonies played by the Czech Philharmonic. You can't go wrong with that orchestra conducted by either Ancerl, Neumann, or Belohlavek.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Dundonnell

Write up in the 'What Are You Listening To?" thread.

The Czech Rhapsody is bombastic, patriotic, nonsense which sometimes feels as if is going to come completely unstuck at times....but it IS great fun ;D ;D

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maciek