Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: snyprrr on June 19, 2017, 10:19:52 AM
And I could never get into his String Quartets, even the last one. Yea, I don't know what's up with that...

Interesting...the SQs are some of my favorite M.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

snyprrr

Piano Concerto No.3
Piano Concerto No.4

No.3 is the BigOne, almost a half hour, and I didn't make it that far into the 1st before I skipped it for No.4, which immediately piqued my ears with its mysterious, chirpy opening, sounding a lot like Janacek, very refreshing and "wind through pine trees on the mountain slopes at night" or mid-day?

I've only heard No.5 once, can't remember which I liked better, 4 or 5... checking...

vandermolen

New release - great cover art too:
[asin]B073LYTXQZ[/asin]
One of his greatest works I think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on September 17, 2017, 04:01:09 AM
New release - great cover art too:
[asin]B073LYTXQZ[/asin]
One of his greatest works I think.

Sure it is. I like the thematic about Mesopotamian mythology, and Martinu made an incredible adaptation of those texts. It's one of my favorite works of him.

vandermolen

This is very good. The clincher for me was the inclusion of 'The Frescoes of Piero della Francesca' as well as piano concertos 2 and 4 and a very enjoyable, Bach-like Overture from 1953. The great discovery for me here was Piano Concerto 4 'Incantations' easily IMHO the greatest of Martinu's piano concertos. I had heard it before as its coupled with Turnovsky's legendary recording of Symphony 4 (I increasingly sound like the classical music enthusiast in Private Eye's 'Great Bores of the World' cartoon - but never mind). It had, however, never affected me as much as on this  recording. I also like music inspired by paintings or art works - Respighi's 'Boticelli Pictures' and 'Church Windows' come to mind as well as John McCabe's 'Chagall Windows' and Reger's 'Bocklin Pictures' which includes 'The Isle of the Dead', better known in Rachmaninov's great work. I had to play 'Incantations' over again as soon as I heard it.
[asin]B002QEXC8U[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

That's an excellent disc, Jeffrey. No arguments from me. I also agree that Piano Concerto No. 4, "Incantations" is Martinů's best piano concerto. I should revisit The Frescoes of Piero della Francesca and play it in sequence with The Parables and Estampes, which make up a sort of triptych.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 19, 2017, 06:26:20 AM
That's an excellent disc, Jeffrey. No arguments from me. I also agree that Piano Concerto No. 4, "Incantations" is Martinů's best piano concertos. I should revisit The Frescoes of Piero della Francesca and play it in sequence with The Parables and Estampes, which make up a sort of triptych.
All great works John - especially 'Parables' after St Exupery - one of my favourite writers. 'Incantations' has more depth I think than the other PCs. I find it to be an engaging, moving, eloquent and powerful work.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 19, 2017, 06:38:12 AM
All great works John - especially 'Parables' after St Exupery - one of my favourite writers. 'Incantations' has more depth I think than the other PCs. I find it to be an engaging, moving, eloquent and powerful work.

8) If you had to pick just one Martinů symphony, which one would it be?

snyprrr

i JUUUST WAS checking out PC5, the 'Fantasia Concertante', to directly compare it to the really mystery filled No.4, 'Incantations'. Well, No.5 goes back to more "normal" music, with the exception of a wonderful cascade of chromatics in the slow movement. 'Incantations' is BY FAR Martinu's most perfectly realized PC,... as an extension of the Janacek soundworld.

It does have a lot of the same feeling as...

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 19, 2017, 06:44:46 AM

No.6,... OF COURSE! Unless you count the 'Fresques' and 'Parables' as Symphonies 7-8...

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on September 19, 2017, 07:21:43 AM
i JUUUST WAS checking out PC5, the 'Fantasia Concertante', to directly compare it to the really mystery filled No.4, 'Incantations'. Well, No.5 goes back to more "normal" music, with the exception of a wonderful cascade of chromatics in the slow movement. 'Incantations' is BY FAR Martinu's most perfectly realized PC,... as an extension of the Janacek soundworld.

It does have a lot of the same feeling as...

No.6,... OF COURSE! Unless you count the 'Fresques' and 'Parables' as Symphonies 7-8...

Yep, the 6th is indeed a fine one. My vote goes to the 4th.

vandermolen

No.4 definitely and probably in Turnovsky's old performance, which was my first contact with Martinu on LP, having heard the work on the radio.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 19, 2017, 12:53:02 PM
No.4 definitely and probably in Turnovsky's old performance, which was my first contact with Martinu on LP, having heard the work on the radio.

I've got that Turnovsky performance (somewhere), I must give it a listen soon.

kyjo

I'd have to go with no. 1 at the moment. It's hard to imagine a more joyous, uplifting and colorful piece. The finale, especially, is thrillingly life-affirming.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

pjme

I bought this double cd some years ago and find the performances excellent. I would love to hear the Palenicek version again (ca 1964 -with Brno/Pinkas).

https://www.youtube.com/v/laI5pnq5X7g

P.

Mirror Image

Quote from: pjme on September 21, 2017, 12:23:19 AM
I bought this double cd some years ago and find the performances excellent. I would love to hear the Palenicek version again (ca 1964 -with Brno/Pinkas).

P.

How do these performances compare with the ones in this set? -

vandermolen

Quote from: pjme on September 21, 2017, 12:23:19 AM

https://www.youtube.com/v/laI5pnq5X7g

P.

I liked that old French series. The Vaughan Williams one had bizarre accompanying notes I remember.

pjme

The Firkusny set is not complete and I'm not familiar with the Leichner performances. So... cannot give you much info.

I listened to Leichner on YT - he is quite a bit slower than Firkusny : 19.40 / 17.83 .

On YT Ivo Kahanek/Behlolavek clock in at 19.40 aswell.

I discovered that Palenicek/Pinkas /Brno is now on YT. Recorded in ca 1960-1964 . Still sounding quite good. Timing: 19.07. Lovely performance.

https://www.youtube.com/v/xsnsbGemvlE

It is Jiri Pinkas who conducts the Brno PhO.

P.

SymphonicAddict

I've been playing all his piano concertos and symphonies recently. Wow! Because of such spectacular pieces and that unique voice is that I admire so much Martinu: works full of life, with much drama, tension, lots of creativity, brilliant orchestration... No work is dull or boring. It's incredible how prolific he was, composing in every genre/form. Everything is engaging. Fortunately, he broke away from Serialism and he knew to be original with what he achieved.

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 26, 2017, 03:23:14 PM
I've been playing all his piano concertos and symphonies recently. Wow! Because of such spectacular pieces and that unique voice is that I admire so much Martinu: works full of life, with much drama, tension, lots of creativity, brilliant orchestration... No work is dull or boring. It's incredible how prolific he was, composing in every genre/form. Everything is engaging. Fortunately, he broke away from Serialism and he knew to be original with what he achieved.

I heartily agree :) In addition to his symphonies and piano concertos, I also adore his two spirited and endlessly lyrical cello concertos, which are among the finest works in the genre IMO. Sadly, they are ignored by most cellists today.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on September 26, 2017, 04:40:03 PM
I heartily agree :) In addition to his symphonies and piano concertos, I also adore his two spirited and endlessly lyrical cello concertos, which are among the finest works in the genre IMO. Sadly, they are ignored by most cellists today.

Certainly, I find them so appealing, fun, almost carefree. The 2nd one is kind of intimate, more reflexive (especially the first two movements). I enjoy them largely. I'm listening to his violin concertos in a while. I intuit they will blow my mind  :)