Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 26, 2017, 08:05:50 AM
Has anyone else heard anything from this set? (I know Brian reported listening to some of it.)
[asin]B074V3CXH6[/asin]
I finished a first listen last night, and thought it pretty well done. But the pnly other recording of the symphonies I have is the Jarvi, and it's been long enough since I played anything from it that I can't make a valid comparison--much less say how it compares to Neumann or any other. But on its own merits I think it would be worth having.
My first impression of 2, 3, and 4 was that Meister favors generally slightly slow tempos and has an unusual approach to rubato - certain episodes will suddenly shift gear up or down, not necessarily those I expected - and the sound is a little distant but the orchestra good. I will definitely listen again before forming complete thoughts or posting a serious discussion here, but my initial reaction was that it could use a bit more pizzazz but will be solidly in the running for 4th place behind (in an order that varies based on listener taste) Belohlavek, Thomson, and Neumann.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 26, 2017, 08:05:50 AM
Has anyone else heard anything from this set? (I know Brian reported listening to some of it.)

I finished a first listen last night, and thought it pretty well done. But the pnly other recording of the symphonies I have is the Jarvi, and it's been long enough since I played anything from it that I can't make a valid comparison--much less say how it compares to Neumann or any other. But on its own merits I think it would be worth having.

#morninglistening to #Martinů on @capricciorec:

http://a-fwd.to/vmxwgQ4

w/#orfsymphonieorchester. Out later thi... http://ift.tt/2xYet6l

One of  Meister's best efforts in his time with the ORF-SO. Not that is saying much. But what I've heard, I liked -- what I heard live I even loved. (http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2014/06/ionarts-at-large-rott-world-premiere.html) I'll have to go through it a few more times, to get a grasp on it more properly, but I thought that #2 to #4 were particularly good; and weakness in (only) one of them (the 6th? Already hazy on that again). I quite like Valek as my standard-against-which-to-measure-all-others (although I have -- I think -- every Martinu cycle), for what it's worth. It's not as played-to-the-hilt as your Jaervi cycle (which is
generally wild and rather exciting, often with abrupt eruptions and pointed phrasing).

Parsifal

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on October 27, 2017, 06:43:11 AMOne of  Meister's best efforts in his time with the ORF-SO. Not that is saying much. But what I've heard, I liked -- what I heard live I even loved. (http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2014/06/ionarts-at-large-rott-world-premiere.html) I'll have to go through it a few more times, to get a grasp on it more properly, but I thought that #2 to #4 were particularly good; and weakness in (only) one of them (the 6th? Already hazy on that again). I quite like Valek as my standard-against-which-to-measure-all-others (although I have -- I think -- every Martinu cycle), for what it's worth. It's not as played-to-the-hilt as your Jaervi cycle (which is
generally wild and rather exciting, often with abrupt eruptions and pointed phrasing).

I rather like Valek and it is nice to see some praise for him. Usually when I bring him up he gets dismissed.

kishnevi

I don't even remember anyone mentioning him.
For reference purposes
[asin]B0014C5XLE[/asin]

Parsifal

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 27, 2017, 03:53:42 PM
I don't even remember anyone mentioning him.
For reference purposes
[asin]B0014C5XLE[/asin]

I could swear I praised it at one point, but did a search and I can't find it. I started with Thomson and after finding it over-dramatizes the music at the expense of its lyrical aspects I stumbled upon Valek and was quite happy with it. The fact that it is in storage and not easy to get to led me to consider alternatives.

I just got Neumann's set and have started listening. I think at this point I prefer it over all, although the sound, while pleasantly clear and well balanced, is a bit dated and could probably benefit from a new master. It is an "AAD" disc and is mastered with pre-emphasis, which means I have to run it through a de-emphasis filter before playback on my DAC.

Parsifal

What a wild goose chase!

I decided to dig through boxes in the storage unit and recover my Martinu Symphony cycles once and for all. Then I listened to a representative movement (Symphony No 2, first movement) to get my bearings and recover my memories of these sets.  My ranking by preference:

1) Valek, Prague Radio Symphony, Supraphon (by a country mile). Rather slow in tempo, but beautifully transparent texture, rhythmically alive, perfectly balanced, lyrical.

2) Neumann, Czech Philharmonic. Supraphon, Generally similar to Valek, sound a bit dated. Still very enjoyable.

3) Thomson, Scottish National Orchestra, Chandos. Well done, but tends to make the music sound more conventional, sort of the way that Rimsky-Korsakov or Sibelius comes out sounding a bit more like Wagner when Karajan performs it. But still, skillfully done and good sound.

4) Belohlavek, BBC, Onyx. Surprisingly the newest recording was the most unpleasant to my ears, congested and harsh in crescendos. A nice feature was the generally more spright tempo and the greater audibility of the piano.

5) Jarvi, Bamberger, Brilliant Classics (licensed form BIS). Sounded like a perfunctory read-through to me, sloppy and the sound wasn't great. Generally confirms my rule, the only time to listen to Jarvi is when no on else on earth has recorded the piece (which is often the case).

Honorable mention to Belohlavek's Czech Philharmonic Partial Cycle on Supraphon, more pleasant than the full BBC cycle, might have made 3rd place if it were complete.

It goes without saying that this "ranking" is merely my own personal preference. But what I have come to appreciate in performance of Martinu is a freely flowing lyricism, which I find it best conveyed in Valek and Neumann.

Now, at last, I can get back to enjoying the music.

Mirror Image

Interesting breakdown of your favorite cycles, Scarpia. I listened to Valek's performance of the 1st last night and wasn't too impressed with it. Sounded like a rather generic reading with no interpretative twists to make it stand out from other cycles. My favorite cycles are Thomson and Neumann. I like the Thomson for his attention to the rhythmical aspect of the music, which, often, goes by the wayside in Neumann's performances (not that it's lacking in this completely). Thomson isn't as lyrical as Neumann, but Neumann isn't as red-blooded as Thomson, so with these differences in mind, these are two of the best cycles for completely different reasons and they both bring out certain elements in this music that the other doesn't. A sensational duo.

Mirror Image

I must confess I am rather curious about the Meister cycle as I watched this little documentary on Meister's recording project:

https://www.youtube.com/v/oF0W3w3uCRM

vandermolen

The new release of 'The Epic of Gilgamesh' sung in English was very well reviewed on BBC Radio 3 'Record Review' this morning. They played the powerful and haunting (no pun intended) last two sections of the work:
[asin]B073LYTXQZ[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on November 04, 2017, 05:35:33 AM
The new release of 'The Epic of Gilgamesh' sung in English was very well reviewed on BBC Radio 3 'Record Review' this morning. They played the powerful and haunting (no pun intended) last two sections of the work:
[asin]B073LYTXQZ[/asin]

Good to hear, Jeffrey. I have this recording on the way, so I'm chomping at the bit to give it a spin.

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 30, 2017, 05:14:56 AM
I must confess I am rather curious about the Meister cycle as I watched this little documentary on Meister's recording project:

https://www.youtube.com/v/oF0W3w3uCRM

Which leads me to this excellent performance of the Violin Concerto No. 2.  Good to see it getting played by such a prominent artist.

https://www.youtube.com/v/gbaVXbHVhfg

Daverz

Having listened to the Fischer video of the Violin Concerto No. 2 below, the old Suk recording, and now the Isabelle Faust recording, sadly Suk seems a bit weak sounding compared to the two ladies, and then there's the swimmy acoustic of Dvorak Hall. 

[asin]B01GQWV99G[/asin]

I also downloaded the Matousek recording for 5 pounds from Hyperion and will report later.

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA67674

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 04, 2017, 05:55:34 AM
Good to hear, Jeffrey. I have this recording on the way, so I'm chomping at the bit to give it a spin.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it John - a great release.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on November 04, 2017, 07:52:16 AM
Which leads me to this excellent performance of the Violin Concerto No. 2.  Good to see it getting played by such a prominent artist.

https://www.youtube.com/v/gbaVXbHVhfg

Indeed! The attention the composer gets, the happier I am, because I really do feel he deserves it IMHO.

Quote from: Daverz on November 04, 2017, 09:47:56 AM
Having listened to the Fischer video of the Violin Concerto No. 2 below, the old Suk recording, and now the Isabelle Faust recording, sadly Suk seems a bit weak sounding compared to the two ladies, and then there's the swimmy acoustic of Dvorak Hall. 

[asin]B01GQWV99G[/asin]

I also downloaded the Matousek recording for 5 pounds from Hyperion and will report later.

The Josef Suk recording of the VCs does have its' charms, but with amazing violinists like Matousek and Faust performing these concerti, it does bring things into a different perspective. Do yourself a favor and just go ahead and buy that entire Matousek/Hogwood series on Hyperion. :)

vandermolen

I've just heard the first recording of Martinu's 4th Symphony and it is terrific. I actually have it on a previous release in the IMG 'Great Conductors' Series. The discussions here have encouraged me to listen to it. The recording is from 1948 in Prague, not that long after the work was composed and just before Kubelik left Czechoslovakia after the communist coup. The performance (Kubelik/Czech PO) has great urgency, unlike any other I have heard although I shall always remain loyal to Turnovsky. Furthermore the recording includes several bars in the slow movement which Martinu later excised. The set below used to be very expensive, if I remember correctly, but seems to have dropped right down in price (I'm looking on Amazon UK).
[asin]B007AX2UBC[/asin]
Here is the earlier release:
[asin]B000239AMY[/asin]

Mirror Image

Jeffrey, I need to revisit Turnovsky's Martinu. I have this Apex recording:

I'll certainly be listening to this recording at some point today.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 04, 2017, 05:12:15 PM
. Do yourself a favor and just go ahead and buy that entire Matousek/Hogwood series on Hyperion. :)

Enthusiastically seconded. While the Martinu Second is reasonably widely accepted as one of the great lesser-known masterpieces for the violin, the other works for violin and orchestra of Martinu's are also really very good and in fact all Above-Average-Quality Martinu.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on November 06, 2017, 08:19:26 AM
Enthusiastically seconded. While the Martinu Second is reasonably widely accepted as one of the great lesser-known masterpieces for the violin, the other works for violin and orchestra of Martinu's are also really very good and in fact all Above-Average-Quality Martinu.

8) Some real gems in that series for sure.

Daverz

Quote from: Daverz on November 04, 2017, 09:47:56 AM

Having now heard the Matousek recording, I have to give him the edge because he plays in a warm and Romantic way that seems apt given the concerto was written for Mischa Elman.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on November 06, 2017, 10:38:42 AM
Having now heard the Matousek recording, I have to give him the edge because he plays in a warm and Romantic way that seems apt given the concerto was written for Mischa Elman.

Indeed. Matousek is a remarkable violinist and knows this music extremely well.