Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 06, 2017, 07:26:43 AM
Jeffrey, I need to revisit Turnovsky's Martinu. I have this Apex recording:

I'll certainly be listening to this recording at some point today.

That's the one John! Great CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Parsifal

Quote from: vandermolen on November 06, 2017, 12:17:25 PM

I've listened to that recording over the weekend, and although there is much to admire in the performance I find myself somewhat disappointed with the compressed dynamics of the 1967 recording. I'm trying to decide which recording of the Martinu 4th to listen to next as an alternative. I have too many to choose from...

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on November 06, 2017, 12:17:25 PM

Indeed it is! And, unlike Scarpia, I have no problems with the audio quality. Sounded good to my ears. Fantastic performances of Tre Ricercari and Piano Concerto No. 4, "Incantations" as well.

vandermolen

My discovery of Martinu was through the Fourth Symphony in Turnovsky's performance on a Supraphon LP. Undoubtedly this has coloured my fondness for the recording but, in all honesty, I have not heard a better one on CD. The Kubelik, which I heard for the first time today is terrific but the recording is even older than the Turnovsky! I can't think of a modern one which especially stands out although I've always thought highly of Bryden Thomson.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Parsifal

Quote from: vandermolen on November 06, 2017, 02:05:43 PM
My discovery of Martinu was through the Fourth Symphony in Turnovsky's performance on a Supraphon LP. Undoubtedly this has coloured my fondness for the recording but, in all honesty, I have not herd a better one on CD. The Kubelik, which I heard for the first time today is terrific but the recording is even older than the Turnovsky! I can't think of a modern one which especially stands out although I've always thought highly of Bryden Thomson.

I have the Thomson, maybe I'll try that one, or Jarvi.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on November 06, 2017, 02:05:43 PM
My discovery of Martinu was through the Fourth Symphony in Turnovsky's performance on a Supraphon LP. Undoubtedly this has coloured my fondness for the recording but, in all honesty, I have not heard a better one on CD. The Kubelik, which I heard for the first time today is terrific but the recording is even older than the Turnovsky! I can't think of a modern one which especially stands out although I've always thought highly of Bryden Thomson.

If you're looking for a high-voltage performance than you can't go wrong with Thomson or Jarvi. If it's lyricism in abundance you seek, then Neumann and Belohlavek should fit the bill nicely. Personally, I tend to favor the more high-voltage performances, because it's also in these performances where the dramatic tension is quite suitable for the music.

Mirror Image

Compositional Spotlight:

Symphony No. 3, H 299

Martinů composed his Third Symphony during a summer retreat in Ridgefield, Connecticut from 2 May to 14 June 1944. The composition was not the result of a commission, but rather was a spontaneous gesture, and is dedicated to Serge Koussevitzky and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, on the twentieth anniversary of their association. It was premiered in Boston, Massachusetts on 12 October 1945 by the dedicatees.

The second movement is dated 26 May 1944, and so it is very probable that he was working on the finale when news was received of the Allied landing in Normandy on 6 June. Although this has sometimes been interpreted as an influence on the joyful turn taken in this movement, it is also possible that the overall design of the symphony had been established much earlier.

The second movement contains thematic and harmonic material identical to the slow movement of the Piano Quintet No. 2, which had been written immediately before the symphony.

[Information taken from Wikipedia]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a remarkable symphony. The opening of the symphony is one of the most frightening moments in Martinu's music. The Largo is haunting. The last movement ends in an eerie manner. It's a strange symphony, but somehow Martinu is able to make it all work and sound completely natural. What do you guys think of this symphony? Favorite performances of mine are Jarvi and Neumann.

You did it

The Double Concerto is hands down, my favorite piece this week so far  0:)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Le Moderniste on November 06, 2017, 06:54:59 PM
The Double Concerto is hands down, my favorite piece this week so far  0:)

8) Glad you enjoyed it, Josh. It's a hell of a work. A masterpiece.

You did it

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 06, 2017, 07:05:31 PM
8) Glad you enjoyed it, Josh. It's a hell of a work. A masterpiece.

Bloody right!!  :o

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 06, 2017, 04:04:46 PM
Compositional Spotlight:

Symphony No. 3, H 299

Martinů composed his Third Symphony during a summer retreat in Ridgefield, Connecticut from 2 May to 14 June 1944. The composition was not the result of a commission, but rather was a spontaneous gesture, and is dedicated to Serge Koussevitzky and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, on the twentieth anniversary of their association. It was premiered in Boston, Massachusetts on 12 October 1945 by the dedicatees.

The second movement is dated 26 May 1944, and so it is very probable that he was working on the finale when news was received of the Allied landing in Normandy on 6 June. Although this has sometimes been interpreted as an influence on the joyful turn taken in this movement, it is also possible that the overall design of the symphony had been established much earlier.

The second movement contains thematic and harmonic material identical to the slow movement of the Piano Quintet No. 2, which had been written immediately before the symphony.

[Information taken from Wikipedia]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a remarkable symphony. The opening of the symphony is one of the most frightening moments in Martinu's music. The Largo is haunting. The last movement ends in an eerie manner. It's a strange symphony, but somehow Martinu is able to make it all work and sound completely natural. What do you guys think of this symphony? Favorite performances of mine are Jarvi and Neumann.

Yeah! This symphony has stunned me in a very positive way. I really like that dark atmosphere which Martinu knew how to develop  masterfully. My favorite performance is by Thomson: it has dynamics, strength and the sound is so clear.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on November 06, 2017, 07:54:28 PM
Yeah! This symphony has stunned me in a very positive way. I really like that dark atmosphere which Martinu knew how to develop  masterfully. My favorite performance is by Thomson: it has dynamics, strength and the sound is so clear.

Yes, indeed. I've come to really appreciate Jarvi's Martinu symphony cycle. I'd agree that Thomson's is top-notch (certainly one of my favorites, too). I'd say that the 1st, 3rd, and 6th symphonies all share a commonality in terms of creating some almost strange sonorities with each of their own unique uses of chromaticism that just spirals like a flying saucer. I'm not sure how I would classify the 4th and 5th. The 2nd is like his 'pastoral symphony' as it's rather light on it's feet, rather neoclassical sounding almost in the same sense that Honegger's 4th symphony is his own 'pastoral.'

Parsifal

Listened to Thomson's recording of Martinu's 4th symphony. It is thrilling to hear this music is good modern sound, where all the things that Martinu does with the orchestra can be clearly heard. But my earlier impression is confirmed, I feel that Thomson sacrifices some of the grace and rhythmic subtlety of this music to create the greatest possible dynamic impact. The third movement, in particular, suffered from uncontrolled orchestral balances, in my opinion. It made me appreciate what a magnificent job Turnovsky did with this music, despite the limitations of the audio. The rhythmic energy of Turnovsky's second movement is amazing to hear.

In any case, it is wonderful music and a great pleasure to hear it in different interpretations.

vandermolen

Quote from: Scarpia on November 06, 2017, 10:16:52 PM
Listened to Thomson's recording of Martinu's 4th symphony. It is thrilling to hear this music is good modern sound, where all the things that Martinu does with the orchestra can be clearly heard. But my earlier impression is confirmed, I feel that Thomson sacrifices some of the grace and rhythmic subtlety of this music to create the greatest possible dynamic impact. The third movement, in particular, suffered from uncontrolled orchestral balances, in my opinion. It made me appreciate what a magnificent job Turnovsky did with this music, despite the limitations of the audio. The rhythmic energy of Turnovsky's second movement is amazing to hear.

In any case, it is wonderful music and a great pleasure to hear it in different interpretations.
Actually I forgot this one which John (MI) mentioned. Great recording and performance of Symphony 4. Probably my favourite modern recording. A fine disc in my view as I like all three works :
[asin]B000000AR5[/asin]

You did it

The third symphony is an interesting one, the first movement is quite simplistic (rhythmically) but has some really awesome textures created by the orchestration (such as the part with the harp and piano crossing each other). There are some great little crescendos, the 2nd movement is where the true action starts though  :D

You did it

So far the double concerto and the third symphony stand well against Stravinsky and Messiaen, there have been a few lesser interesting pieces but I've still got several dozen to go!   ;D ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on November 06, 2017, 10:54:27 PM
Actually I forgot this one which John (MI) mentioned. Great recording and performance of Symphony 4. Probably my favourite modern recording. A fine disc in my view as I like all three works :
[asin]B000000AR5[/asin]

Yes, that's a fine recording. I think Belohlavek is obviously a fine Martinu conductor, but I seem to turn to him for works that you can't find anywhere else like, for example, the song cycles Nipponari, Magic Nights, the orchestral work Estampes (there's also a Walter Weller performance that's pretty good), ballets like The Butterfly that Stamped, Who is the Most Powerful in the World?, and The Revolt and not to mention operas like The Voice in the Forest and The Miracles of Mary.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Le Moderniste on November 07, 2017, 12:15:10 AM
So far the double concerto and the third symphony stand well against Stravinsky and Messiaen, there have been a few lesser interesting pieces but I've still got several dozen hundreds to go!   ;D ;D

I edited this post for you. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scarpia on November 06, 2017, 10:16:52 PM

I won't argue you with you about Turnovsky. ;) Since revisiting it, it's now my favorite 4th. 8)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 07, 2017, 06:14:33 AM
I won't argue you with you about Turnovsky. ;) Since revisiting it, it's now my favorite 4th. 8)

So happy about all this life in the Martinů thread. Yes, Turnovsky has long been the classic Fourth -- and unlike many classic Martinů recordings, it holds up well. Other Über-Martinů accounts I have found to be at least somewhat overrated. As if only Ancerl et al. were capable of performing these works.