Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jidlomonster

It's always been a great pleasure to see such a lively interest in this music of Martinů on this forum.  As chairman of the International Martinů Circle, (IMC) I want to do what I can to widen the appreciation of his music to the best of my ability - so I hope you don't mind my using some space here to advertise a new initiative.

The IMC  has launched a Facebook Group, open to IMC members and non-members alike. Members of the group will be able to interact with other enthusiasts, share opinions on Martinů's music, draw attention to favourite recordings or videos, advertise performances, arrange to meet other members at Martinů events or even canvas opinions by conducting a poll.  In short, it is an excellent tool for bringing Martinů fans closer together and spreading the word about his extraordinary legacy.

The Facebook Group is called 'Bohuslav Martinů enthusiasts' and can found from outside Facebook by  typing the following address directly into your browser:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/internationalmartinucircle

If there are any questions you want to ask, I am happy to be contacted by email at michael.crump@sky.com

SimonNZ

At the local secondhand record shop there been a good amount of Martinu arrive, including lots of old Supraphon vinyl. Could anyone say if there are some perhaps less obvious purchases that should be snapped up if seen?

Mirror Image

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 31, 2019, 10:36:32 PM
At the local secondhand record shop there been a good amount of Martinu arrive, including lots of old Supraphon vinyl. Could anyone say if there are some perhaps less obvious purchases that should be snapped up if seen?

Well, I'd like to know what has arrived first, because without knowledge of what's there, I can't answer your question.

SymphonicAddict

On the last days some Martinu pieces have struck me in a way that have left me speechless. The Duo No. 1 for violin and viola (Madrigals) and Les Rondes. Brilliant and spellbinding fall short to express the genuine genius of Martinu in these unique pieces. The first work (in three movements) is a continuum of striking ideas for violin and viola cleverly constructed. The composer exploits both instruments to achieve utter inventiveness. It's undoubtedly a masterpiece, one incredibly satisfying for ears. One wonders whether there are really two instruments sounding.

Les Rondes (for oboe, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, 2 violins and piano) has to be one of the most fun and jovial pieces Martinu ever created. Martinu used some jazz rhythms and folksy elements, and the result is just catchy and exhilarating (really EXHILARATING!). There are moments of sheer feast, and others much more pensive but always engaging. If you don't smile by this, I don't know what will be able to do it.  :D

vers la flamme

I'm taking a piecemeal approach to the music of Martinů, whom I just discovered a few weeks ago. I think he is unquestionably extremely talented, but I am afraid of burning myself out on his music completely from overexposure. So I'm taking my time.

The works I've heard thus far are the 5th and 6th symphonies, the Memorial to Lidice, the Sinfonietta Giocosa, the first 4 string quartets, the Madrigals for violin and viola, and... probably something else. My favorite thing that I've heard thus far is that Sinfonietta. Great piece.

One of these days I will get a complete set of his symphonies. I'm thinking of getting the Bryden Thomson cycle on Chandos. Or maybe the Belohlavek (sp?) cycle.

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 16, 2019, 05:29:10 PM
I'm taking a piecemeal approach to the music of Martinů, whom I just discovered a few weeks ago. I think he is unquestionably extremely talented, but I am afraid of burning myself out on his music completely from overexposure. So I'm taking my time.

The works I've heard thus far are the 5th and 6th symphonies, the Memorial to Lidice, the Sinfonietta Giocosa, the first 4 string quartets, the Madrigals for violin and viola, and... probably something else. My favorite thing that I've heard thus far is that Sinfonietta. Great piece.

One of these days I will get a complete set of his symphonies. I'm thinking of getting the Bryden Thomson cycle on Chandos. Or maybe the Belohlavek (sp?) cycle.

You must hear Symphony No.4, possibly his masterpiece. It is a most inspiriting and memorable work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Rinaldo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 16, 2019, 10:45:06 PM
You must hear Symphony No.4, possibly his masterpiece. It is a most inspiriting and memorable work.

*pounds the table to the rhythm of the scherzo*

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vers la flamme

Noted. I think I saw a Naxos CD with Martinů's 4th symphony at a local record store. Might head down there and pick it up today.

kyjo

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 17, 2019, 05:11:47 AM
Noted. I think I saw a Naxos CD with Martinů's 4th symphony at a local record store. Might head down there and pick it up today.

I should warn you that the Naxos recordings of the Martinu symphonies (with the NSO of Ukraine under Arthur Fagen) have usually received negative reviews, though I haven't heard them. Fortunately, there are plenty of fine recordings of the cycle from Jarvi (BIS/Brilliant), Thomson (Chandos), Belohlavek (Onyx), Neumann (Supraphon), and Meister (Capriccio), plus some one-off recordings of individual symphonies.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vers la flamme

I see that. Maybe I'll just hold out for when I can afford to get a complete set. As I might have alluded to, I've sampled and enjoyed the Belohlavek (sp?) set and the Thomson set on Chandos, which is very cheap.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: kyjo on August 17, 2019, 07:51:11 AM
, plus some one-off recordings of individual symphonies.

For a one-off recording of the 4th, you can't go wrong with Turnovsky or Neumann.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

kyjo

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 16, 2019, 05:29:10 PM

Great to hear! Martinu is definitely a composer worth exploring, as there's so much great music in his output. But it's wise that you're trying not to burn yourself out, because there's many similar musical characteristics between his works. Some works of his which I really enjoy that you haven't listened to yet include:

Symphony no. 1 (I know I'm in the minority here, but it's my favorite symphony of his. I love all of them though!)
Double Concerto for 2 String Orchestras, Piano, and Timpani
Concerto for Violin, Piano, and Orchestra
Piano Concerto no. 4 Incantations
Toccata e due canzoni for chamber orchestra
Cello Sonata no. 1
Piano Trio no. 3

And two earlier works not representative of his mature style:

Magic Nights (a gorgeously impressionistic, exotic orchestral song cycle)
Czech Rhapsody for baritone, chorus, organ, and large orchestra (maybe a bit bombastic for some tastes, but utterly thrilling and magnificent music!)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 16, 2019, 11:43:29 AM
On the last days some Martinu pieces have struck me in a way that have left me speechless. The Duo No. 1 for violin and viola (Madrigals) and Les Rondes. Brilliant and spellbinding fall short to express the genuine genius of Martinu in these unique pieces. The first work (in three movements) is a continuum of striking ideas for violin and viola cleverly constructed. The composer exploits both instruments to achieve utter inventiveness. It's undoubtedly a masterpiece, one incredibly satisfying for ears. One wonders whether there are really two instruments sounding.

Les Rondes (for oboe, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, 2 violins and piano) has to be one of the most fun and jovial pieces Martinu ever created. Martinu used some jazz rhythms and folksy elements, and the result is just catchy and exhilarating (really EXHILARATING!). There are moments of sheer feast, and others much more pensive but always engaging. If you don't smile by this, I don't know what will be able to do it.  :D

Well, you've certainly piqued my interest, Cesar! I'm not familiar with either of these works, so I'll certainly be checking them out.

SymphonicAddict

Martinu is firmly in my top 10 favorite composers. Besides other works already mentioned, these are fantastic:

Les Frescoes de Piero della Francesca, Estampes, Les Parables, the 7 string quartets, the Piano Quintet No. 2, The Epic of Gilgamesh, the Nonet No. 2, Legend of the Smoke from the Potato Mountains, La Revue de Cuisine (another sparkling piece), the Oboe Concerto, Bouquet of Flowers, The Opening of the Wells, the whole violin sonatas (these are extraordinary), the String Sextet, Musique de chambre No. 1 and many more.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on August 17, 2019, 08:20:50 AM
Well, you've certainly piqued my interest, Cesar! I'm not familiar with either of these works, so I'll certainly be checking them out.

They shouldn't fail you.

North Star

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 17, 2019, 10:52:26 AM
Martinu is firmly in my top 10 favorite composers. Besides other works already mentioned, these are fantastic:

Les Frescoes de Piero della Francesca, Estampes, Les Parables, the 7 string quartets, the Piano Quintet No. 2, The Epic of Gilgamesh, the Nonet No. 2, Legend of the Smoke from the Potato Mountains, La Revue de Cuisine (another sparkling piece), the Oboe Concerto, Bouquet of Flowers, The Opening of the Wells, the whole violin sonatas (these are extraordinary), the String Sextet, Musique de chambre No. 1 and many more.
That should be Legend of the Smoke from the Potato Fires, and Mikeš of the Mountains, I believe. ;) And yes, all these cantatas are fantastic.

I'd add the Harpsichord Concerto, Memorial to Lidice, and Violin Concerto no. 2 to the list, too. And the solo songs are wonderful - check out the Magdalena Kozena albums (with Dvorak and Janacek among others included, too).
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: North Star on August 17, 2019, 11:16:31 AM
That should be Legend of the Smoke from the Potato Fires, and Mikeš of the Mountains, I believe. ;) And yes, all these cantatas are fantastic.

I'd add the Harpsichord Concerto, Memorial to Lidice, and Violin Concerto no. 2 to the list, too. And the solo songs are wonderful - check out the Magdalena Kozena albums (with Dvorak and Janacek among others included, too).

Oh, you're right! It's Fires indeed. Definitely his vocal music is something to treasure. I've listened to a couple of the songs and turned out very eloquent.

vandermolen

If you want a single, inexpensive, CD featuring Symphony 4 I don't know a better one than this:

I also recommend the Frescoes of Piero della Francesca, the Parables and the Memorial to Lidice as well as all the other symphonies and the Piano Concerto 4 'Incantations'. I especially like the big choral work 'The Epic of Gilgamesh'.

kyjo

Quote from: North Star on August 17, 2019, 11:16:31 AM
Legend of the Smoke from the Potato Fires

What a great name for a piece! :D