Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 04, 2021, 03:41:01 PM
A little but quite interesting interview with Martinu. It's the first time I hear his voice:

https://www.youtube.com/v/YritqHoV_zQ

How interesting!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 04, 2021, 03:41:01 PM
A little but quite interesting interview with Martinu. It's the first time I hear his voice:

https://www.youtube.com/v/YritqHoV_zQ

Yes, very nice, thank you for this. Though Czech does have a slow, peculiarly subdued character, he seems to read out the answers, yet the content - and hearing his voice - is certainly worth it :)

Herman

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 25, 2021, 07:36:17 AM
Thanks and I shouldn't have said anything negative about this Thomson set anyway, because I do still have some sentimental attachment to it --- it was my first Martinů symphony cycle. I will say this and please excuse my profanity, but the Scots play the s*** out of this music! :D

Yet another illustration of "different strokes for different blokes".

I cannot help but hear the usual perfunctoriness in Jarvi's Martinu. I put him well below Neumann.

That doesn't need to take away anything from your enjoyment of the Scots' playing.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Herman on June 27, 2021, 12:20:44 AM
Yet another illustration of "different strokes for different blokes".

I cannot help but hear the usual perfunctoriness in Jarvi's Martinu. I put him well below Neumann.

That doesn't need to take away anything from your enjoyment of the Scots' playing.

Certainly you mean Thomson and not Järvi? Oh and I enjoy Thomson's conducting. So, for me, it's the complete package: great conductor, orchestra and sound quality.

Mirror Image

For those that are interested, this is a fantastic read:

[asin]0907689779[/asin]

It gives a revealing insight into his own life and thinking. One thing that Martinů really struck a chord with me was humble and grateful he was for everything in his life and what a remarkable life it was!

aligreto

Martinu: Symphony No. 4 [Thomson]

I like the lighthearted and playful opening movement of this work which is filled with positive energy and optimism. An element of doubt creeps in around the middle section of the movement which is also very exciting. That is gradually worked through and we end up with an assertive and determined conclusion to the movement. These mixed moods continue into the second movement but things are a little bit more disconcerting and filled with nervous tension here with that wonderful brass, lower register strings and timpani. There is a lyrical and calming trio in the middle section which is an oasis of calm. The third movement is a contrast to the nervous, driven energy but the music is still tension filled and disconcerting; the slower tempo can make it even more so. The final movement opens with a menacing tone. The tension is gradually built up to a positive resolution and conclusion. The scoring is wonderful throughout this terrific work.

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on July 07, 2021, 02:27:57 AM
Martinu: Symphony No. 4 [Thomson]

I like the lighthearted and playful opening movement of this work which is filled with positive energy and optimism. An element of doubt creeps in around the middle section of the movement which is also very exciting. That is gradually worked through and we end up with an assertive and determined conclusion to the movement. These mixed moods continue into the second movement but things are a little bit more disconcerting and filled with nervous tension here with that wonderful brass, lower register strings and timpani. There is a lyrical and calming trio in the middle section which is an oasis of calm. The third movement is a contrast to the nervous, driven energy but the music is still tension filled and disconcerting; the slower tempo can make it even more so. The final movement opens with a menacing tone. The tension is gradually built up to a positive resolution and conclusion. The scoring is wonderful throughout this terrific work.

Excellent description, Fergus! I love the 4th very much --- oh hell, I love them all who am I kidding?!?!? :P Anyway, I've come around to the Thomson set and I appreciate his performances the more I listen to them. I'm still in the midst of going through his cycle, but I've enjoyed every minute of it thus far.

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 08, 2021, 07:28:31 PM
Excellent description, Fergus! I love the 4th very much --- oh hell, I love them all who am I kidding?!?!? :P Anyway, I've come around to the Thomson set and I appreciate his performances the more I listen to them. I'm still in the midst of going through his cycle, but I've enjoyed every minute of it thus far.

Cheers, John, and yes, there are all good.  :)

Mirror Image

aligreto

Martinu: Symphony No. 5 [Thomson]

There is a palpable sense of excitement, tension and ebullience in the opening movement. This is not always extravagantly overt but it is pervasive especially in the build up to the conclusion of the movement. The scherzo-like middle movement is much in the same vein as the first with some interesting episodic passages. The scoring and orchestral textures are also interesting. Clouds appear in the opening of the final movement and change the mood completely. These are ultimately dispelled, however, and the music eventually re-emerges into the sunshine. Once again, the scoring and orchestral textures draw one's attention.

aligreto

Martinu: Symphony No. 6 [Thomson]

Very lyrical in nature, the work is filled with tension, mystery and drama with the occasional piece of magic thrown in. The tone is not oppressive however, but exciting and intriguing. The same could well be said for its musical language. I also really like both the orchestration and the harmonies throughout the work.

Pohjolas Daughter

I found this interview by Chris O'Reilly (PrestoMusic) with Tomáš Netopil on Martinů's Ariane.  https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/articles/1545--interview-tomas-netopil-on-martin-s-ariane

Since I'm not acquainted with the work, I checked out youtube and hope to listen to it later today; the link is for the older recording of the one-act opera on Supraphon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQLkxTv39sk

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 07, 2021, 05:32:51 AM
I found this interview by Chris O'Reilly (PrestoMusic) with Tomáš Netopil on Martinů's Ariane.  https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/articles/1545--interview-tomas-netopil-on-martin-s-ariane

Since I'm not acquainted with the work, I checked out youtube and hope to listen to it later today; the link is for the older recording of the one-act opera on Supraphon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQLkxTv39sk

PD

Yes, but let's not forget about Netopil's new recording:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 07, 2021, 05:55:00 AM
Yes, but let's not forget about Netopil's new recording:

André had told me about Ariane earlier today, so that's what lead to my 'research' into it...that's all.  ;) :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 07, 2021, 09:18:42 AM
André had told me about Ariane earlier today, so that's what lead to my 'research' into it...that's all.  ;) :)

PD

And I just wanted to mention this recording again because I think it's a damn fine one. :)

Mirror Image

I wonder how Fergus is doing with Martinů? He listened to the Thomson set, which is excellent, but I wonder what else he's heard? I hope he continues listening the composer and this goes for anyone who has frequented this thread.

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 07, 2021, 08:42:05 PM
I wonder how Fergus is doing with Martinů? He listened to the Thomson set, which is excellent, but I wonder what else he's heard? I hope he continues listening the composer and this goes for anyone who has frequented this thread.

As that fella once said, John, "I'll be back!" 

Mirror Image

jidlomonster

You might wish to know that Czech television has begun a documentary series on the Martinů symphonies.  Most of the works will be conducted by Jakub Hrůša, but two of the symphonies are conducted by the late and much-missed Jiří Bělohlávek.   The works are given one movement at a time, interspersed with commentary from Hrůša and Aleš Březina, the director of the Bohuslav Martinů Institute.  The commentary is in Czech only but if you don't understand the language I am sure you will still find the performances of interest.  Jakub Hrůša will one day be spoken of as a Martinů interpreter of equal stature to his mentor Bělohlávek, I am sure.  Here is a link, where you will find the two episodes that have been broadcast at the time of my writing this post -

https://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ivysilani/11416641987-sest-symfonii-bohuslava-martinu-symfonie-c-1/

but be warned - you will need to use a VPN to view the content.