Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Scarpia on July 14, 2010, 04:01:32 PM
But, I think it may be useful to explore Martinu outside the symphonies.  Martinu wrote most of his symphonies during a short period of time, and unlike many composers, they are not the defining genre for him.  He wrote many wonderful concerti for diverse groups of instruments, and other types of orchestral music.   Belohlavek is a great conductor of Martinu and this release as some wonderful misic on it:

Hey, Scarpia. I'm sorry you left. Hope you're still reading though. If you don't come back, my bazooka will get rusty and if I ever need it again, it will be useless. So, please come back. I need the target practice  :D  :)

I have some of those pieces on another Belohlavek CD (an earlier incarnation I picked up ten, twelve years ago):

I also have the Mackerras disc with Freques and the Double Concerto. There was a huge hole in my Martinu collection, though: no Parables. But I've plugged that gap with Ancerl's version.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: erato on July 15, 2010, 06:03:45 AM
Please leave something for us!

:D ;D :D

I had to act fast. There was only one or two copies of each of those CDs.

Sarge

mjwal

To me the Turnovsky CD with the best Symphony #4 I know and the stunning Piano Concerto #4 plus the Tre Ricercari is the Martinú disc to get. Then the Ancerl Supraphon CDs plus if you can find it the double CD from Multisonic with Ancerl conducting symphonies 1, 3 and 5. Turnovsky and Ancerl blow Järvi away as Martinú conductors, IMO (I only have the latter's 3&4 - he simply lacks Martinú's Gallic clarity of line). But I am also very taken by other non-symphonic works by this great master: Ariane (CPO Neumann, Supraphon) is a delightful and mysterious neo-baroque surrealist homage to Greek myth, the violin and viola concertos with Suk are essential, and The Epic of Gilgamesh is a great tragic masterpiece about the foundation of civilisation as we know it, Jim. There is/was a older Supraphon version conducted by Belohlávek- I have it on LP, all in Czech, containing a translation of the libretto; but if you can find it the BBC Music Magazine issue with the BBC SO & Chorus (same conductor) is in very good sound, superbly performed & sung (in Czech), and has a narration very well spoken in English (if you can find the original magazine it offers a libretto too).
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mjwal on July 15, 2010, 06:47:46 AM
To me the Turnovsky CD with the best Symphony #4 I know and the stunning Piano Concerto #4 plus the Tre Ricercari is the Martinú disc to get. Then the Ancerl Supraphon CDs plus if you can find it the double CD from Multisonic with Ancerl conducting symphonies 1, 3 and 5. Turnovsky and Ancerl blow Järvi away as Martinú conductors, IMO (I only have the latter's 3&4 - he simply lacks Martinú's Gallic clarity of line). But I am also very taken by other non-symphonic works by this great master: Ariane (CPO Neumann, Supraphon) is a delightful and mysterious neo-baroque surrealist homage to Greek myth, the violin and viola concertos with Suk are essential, and The Epic of Gilgamesh is a great tragic masterpiece about the foundation of civilisation as we know it, Jim. There is/was a older Supraphon version conducted by Belohlávek- I have it on LP, all in Czech, containing a translation of the libretto; but if you can find it the BBC Music Magazine issue with the BBC SO & Chorus (same conductor) is in very good sound, superbly performed & sung (in Czech), and has a narration very well spoken in English (if you can find the original magazine it offers a libretto too).

Thanks for the recommendations. Ariane sounds especially enticing. I already have a Gilgamesh (Kosler/Slovak Phil on Marco Polo). The Belohlávek version is available, though, and cheaply.

Sarge

Luke

Quote from: mjwal on July 15, 2010, 06:47:46 AM

It's a great post, this. Mostly because I agree with every word of it, from beginning to end  ;D  0:)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 15, 2010, 05:56:41 AM
Usually when one asks for a recommendation in this forum, every extant recording will be mentioned at least once plus not a few that have been OOP for fifty years ;D  But there is remarkable consistency in this thread. Don, Velimir, Daverz, MI, Edward all urged me to choose Neumann. Taking Daverz's advice (seconded by MI) I ordered the symphonies separately (the total at Amazon DE coming to the same price as the box anyway). There is unanimity about Ancerl so I also ordered his two gold edition CDs (with the Parables, Lidice and Symphonies 5 & 6). And with a nod to Luke and others who are enthusiastic about Turnovsky's Fourth, I grabbed that too.

Belohlavek and Thomson have their supporters. Future purchases perhaps.

Thanks for the help.

Sarge

Some great choices you made there! ;) I wish I would have bought the Neumann symphony discs individually now, because again the recording of Symphonies Nos. 5 & 6 has a work I haven't heard called Iventions. I might just buy this disc individually, so I can get this work, because it is seldom heard. Anyway, I'm so happy you took the plunge! You're not afraid to take some risks and that is what has to be done sometimes in order to find out for yourself about a specific recording.

Since you already bought the Neumann cycle, allow me to make some follow-up recommendations if I may. Here are some more Martinu recordings you should checkout when you have time:

The new erato

You al seem to forget this remarkable disc with 3 extremely charming chamber cantatas which I've reported on with great enthusiasm before.

No go get it!

Mirror Image

Quote from: erato on July 15, 2010, 11:59:37 AM
You al seem to forget this remarkable disc with 3 extremely charming chamber cantatas which I've reported on with great enthusiasm before.

No go get it!

So does an orchestra accompany these works, erato? I'm pretty unfamiliar with Martinu's vocal and choral works.

The new erato

1. The Opening of the Wells H 354/ 1955 20:43

Cantata for female chorus, soprano, contralto, baritone, recitation, two violins, viola and piano

2. The Legend of the Smoke from Potato Fires H 360/ 1956 20:11

Cantata for mixed chorus, soprano, contralto, baritone, flute, clarinet, French horn, accordion and piano

3. Mikeš of the Mountains H 375/ 1959 21:32

Cantata for mixed chorus, soprano, tenor, two violins, viola and piano

Mirror Image

Quote from: erato on July 15, 2010, 12:03:23 PM
1. The Opening of the Wells H 354/ 1955 20:43

Cantata for female chorus, soprano, contralto, baritone, recitation, two violins, viola and piano

2. The Legend of the Smoke from Potato Fires H 360/ 1956 20:11

Cantata for mixed chorus, soprano, contralto, baritone, flute, clarinet, French horn, accordion and piano

3. Mikeš of the Mountains H 375/ 1959 21:32

Cantata for mixed chorus, soprano, tenor, two violins, viola and piano

Oh okay cool thanks erato.

karlhenning

Very nice! I want to hear them — after I have finished my own cantata! : )

Mirror Image

Listening to Czech Rhapsody right now and what a powerful composition this is! Anybody else heard this recording? If not, then BUY IT NOW!!!!!

Luke

Quote from: erato on July 15, 2010, 11:59:37 AM

No go get it!

Thank you! At last - someone not recommending the orchestral music. This is a stunning disc, I've had it for years, in its original LP release and also recently in this CD reissue. This sort of thing is the very heart of Martinu, these late chamber cantatas full of life and folkmusic and memories of his childhood - they are specifically Polickan, to coin a phrase. Adorable pieces, in a sense more important than the symphonies and operas and so on, if we are wanting to get close to Martinu the man, I think (which isn't to say that the symphonies and operas aren't more sophisticated and important pieces of course)

The new erato

Quote from: Luke on July 15, 2010, 10:40:30 PM
Thank you! At last - someone not recommending the orchestral music. This is a stunning disc, I've had it for years, in its original LP release and also recently in this CD reissue. This sort of thing is the very heart of Martinu, these late chamber cantatas full of life and folkmusic and memories of his childhood - they are specifically Polickan, to coin a phrase. Adorable pieces, in a sense more important than the symphonies and operas and so on, if we are wanting to get close to Martinu the man, I think (which isn't to say that the symphonies and operas aren't more sophisticated and important pieces of course)
I think you got that exactly right. And I've been playing Martinu since the early 70-ies, thanks to a dearth of dead cheap Supraphon recordings he was one of the first 20th century composer I got to know extensively, though this disc is a reasonably recent aquisiton of mine. It's simply gorgeous and will charm your socks off if this kind of thing appeals to you at all.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Mirror,
could you please say a few words about that recording of Spalicek and some other works? This is a part of M's output that I'm not familiar with.

Quote from: erato on July 16, 2010, 12:09:48 AM
It's simply gorgeous and will charm your socks off if this kind of thing appeals to you at all.

How do these works compare to the cantatas on the "companion disc" (Mount of Three Lights etc.)? Are they similar in style?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

The new erato

Quote from: Velimir on July 16, 2010, 12:35:56 AM

How do these works compare to the cantatas on the "companion disc" (Mount of Three Lights etc.)? Are they similar in style?
I cannot say as I don't know them. Let's leave this one to Luke  ;D

Aaahh, a reminder of more want list material.

Luke

You can leave it to me, but I can't answer, as that's one on my wish list! So much Martinu to explore...

BTW, a great great twofer is the Hyperion set of chamber music with the Nonet, the various 'Madrigal' pieces and so on. Again, in the Nonet, we have that late, rustic Martinu of the late cantatas, but married to the more concert-hall instrumental writing of the symphonies, say. It's a marvellous piece, that Nonet - my favourite Martinu chamber work, I think.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Luke on July 16, 2010, 12:42:51 AM
BTW, a great great twofer is the Hyperion set of chamber music with the Nonet, the various 'Madrigal' pieces and so on. Again, in the Nonet, we have that late, rustic Martinu of the late cantatas, but married to the more concert-hall instrumental writing of the symphonies, say. It's a marvellous piece, that Nonet - my favourite Martinu chamber work, I think.

I've got that one, was just listening to it last weekend in fact  :) it was one of my early Martinu purchases, in 1998 or so.

I agree about the Nonet: it's one of my all-time favorite Martinu chamber works, and also one of my favorite pieces of "big" chamber music (I like it even more than Stravinsky's Octet). It's amazing to think he was dying of cancer when he wrote this, it's such a tranquil, idyllic work.

Those instrumental "madrigals" are interesting too, even if rather minor works. The one I keep coming back to is for 3 wind instruments; it makes me think of a baroque trio sonata with the continuo removed. An entertaining, quirky piece.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Luke

Couple that Nonet up Janacek's Mladi (wind sextet) or Pavel Haas's adorable Wind Quintet, or perhaps the Nonets of Alois Haba (they are quite similar to the Martinu - it's an ensemble Czech composers seem to have liked) and you have a rather marvellous little CD of Czech chamber music for wind (or wind+) ensemble

karlhenning

Quote from: Luke on July 15, 2010, 10:40:30 PM

Yes, I knew directly that this is music I want to get to know!  Only, as I have a similar project on my own desk, I want that in the can before I admit these Martinů works to my world : )