Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Thanks for the responses!

I may be a little behind in the recommendations still being somewhat new to GMG, but this disc of Martinu flute music might be my most played disc in my Martinu collection. I highly recommend it.

[asin]B000001490[/asin]

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 06, 2011, 11:13:10 AM
Thanks for the responses!

And here comes another vote in favor  :) like Karl, I was listening to that set only last week; and like Bruce, it was one of the first Martinu recordings I bought.

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

cilgwyn

Haven't listened to Martinu for ages. Used to listen to his music allot when I was younger. I wouldn't mind hearing 'The Epic of Gilgamesh' again,but some of his music is a bit TOO grim for my liking. I notice Naxos have reissued 'Gilgamesh' with a more interesting photo on the front. I might buy this. On the other hand,maybe there is a better recording now,as that one's a few years old?

karlhenning

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 07, 2011, 07:38:05 AM
Haven't listened to Martinu for ages. Used to listen to his music allot when I was younger. I wouldn't mind hearing 'The Epic of Gilgamesh' again,but some of his music is a bit TOO grim for my liking.

Interesting that you give this as an overriding impression. Au contraire, I've found that the larger part of his music which I've come to know is quick-footed, charming, sparkling! 

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 07, 2011, 07:38:05 AM
Haven't listened to Martinu for ages. Used to listen to his music allot when I was younger....but some of his music is a bit TOO grim for my liking.

That's an interesting take on Martinu but one that really isn't true across the board. Pound for pound there's more Martinu which edifies than oppresses...actually, by a wide margin.... :)

QuoteI notice Naxos have reissued 'Gilgamesh' with a more interesting photo on the front. I might buy this. On the other hand,maybe there is a better recording now,as that one's a few years old?

There are only two recordings I know of: one on Supraphon and the other on Naxos (originally on Marco Polo). Both get high marks from the press but I've only heard the Supraphon recording. It's great.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

cilgwyn

Actually,'grim' isn't really the right word. I think 'tragedy' is closer to the mark. Yes, the music is often joyous and uplifting in tone,but there's so much tragedy and suffering there. An artists response to the suffering of his people,of course,but like allot of late Shostakovich it's a bit too much for me. (At the same time,it would be a bit disturbing if Martinu's music didn't reflect this).

Lethevich

Some of Martinů's output does echo with memories of his time, but I feel that he offers more escapism than representation in his works - although he certainly has his darker moments, and the inspiration is there even if it's less overt than Shostakovich.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 07, 2011, 10:23:33 AM
Actually,'grim' isn't really the right word. I think 'tragedy' is closer to the mark.

I agree with this. There's a lot of Martinu that can be described as tragic, tense, or dark (Double Cto., Memorial to Lidice,3rd Symphony, etc.), but what I never hear from him is the sort of hopeless bleakness I get from a lot of Shostakovich, especially his later works.

mjwal

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 07, 2011, 09:13:04 AM
That's an interesting take on Martinu but one that really isn't true across the board. Pound for pound there's more Martinu which edifies than oppresses...actually, by a wide margin.... :)

There are only two recordings I know of: one on Supraphon and the other on Naxos (originally on Marco Polo). Both get high marks from the press but I've only heard the Supraphon recording. It's great.
There is actually a second recording of The Epic of Gilgamesh by Béhlolâvek that was issued by the BBC Music magazine, with the BBCSO, Urbanova and other Czech soloists, rec. 1995, better sound than the Supraphon, with narration in English, which is helpful. Don't suppose it is available now.
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

cilgwyn

Another work I keep thinking of investing in is 'The Miracle of our Lady'. I remember it was broadcast on R3 some years ago & it made some impression on me. Yet, finding any kind of reviews or information about it,on the web,is not easy. Has anyone here been impressed by this work? Have to say,the cover design for the Supraphon cd issue is not one of their best! (Not that I'm buying it for that,of course). I think when I first heard it Lp's were still King of the Hill?!

Archaic Torso of Apollo

RIP Josef Suk

That fine violinist and violist is dead at the age of 81:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/08/arts/music/josef-suk-violinist-dies-at-81.html?_r=1

I will listen to his recording of Martinu's Rhapsody-Concerto for Viola in his memory.

karlhenning

Quote from: Velimir on July 08, 2011, 10:11:50 AM
RIP Josef Suk

That fine violinist and violist is dead at the age of 81:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/08/arts/music/josef-suk-violinist-dies-at-81.html?_r=1

I will listen to his recording of Martinu's Rhapsody-Concerto for Viola in his memory.

Mmm, and a particularly tasty work!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: mjwal on July 08, 2011, 08:14:00 AM
There is actually a second recording of The Epic of Gilgamesh by Béhlolâvek that was issued by the BBC Music magazine, with the BBCSO, Urbanova and other Czech soloists, rec. 1995, better sound than the Supraphon, with narration in English, which is helpful. Don't suppose it is available now.

Ah, thank you for the info. So, one of those BBC music mag one-offs. I wonder what it's like....?

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

mjwal

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 08, 2011, 05:06:28 PM
Ah, thank you for the info. So, one of those BBC music mag one-offs. I wonder what it's like....?
It's very good - unless you find the occasional spoken narration in English jarring: I find it a bit too loud. Of course, I cannot tell how authentic the BBC choir's Czech pronunciation is, but as the conductor is a native speaker... I happened to bring it along to Berlin and am listening to it now.Someone should upload this - but I don't know how to do that and will not learn now.
P.S. rec. (very clearly if without the ultimate degree of presence in the climaxes) at the RFH. 28/01/1995
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Luke

Quote from: mjwal on July 09, 2011, 01:37:24 AM
It's very good - unless you find the occasional spoken narration in English jarring: I find it a bit too loud. Of course, I cannot tell how authentic the BBC choir's Czech pronunciation is, but as the conductor is a native speaker... I happened to bring it along to Berlin and am listening to it now.Someone should upload this - but I don't know how to do that and will not learn now.
P.S. rec. (very clearly if without the ultimate degree of presence in the climaxes) at the RFH. 28/01/1995

I have it and can upload it, but not today.

Re Josef Suk - terrible news. I never heard a recording by him which did not move me with its warmth and humanity. A truly great artist.

cilgwyn

My local cd/tape/lp 'record stall' sometimes has a selection of ex BBC Music Magazine cd's (and cassettes!). I'll have to look. Someone obviously likes a bit of money back on their glossy mag!!! (I don't expect he get's much from her).
I must admit the whole idea of narration in English sounds 'wrong',but if the performance is good & not like Peter Ustinov in 'Hary Janos' (remember all those funny voices?)!!!!
  By the way,regarding my comments about Martinu,above. I obviously hadn't listened to him for a while. I put the Jarvi Bis cd's in my 5 cd changer and was listening very happily ALL night. 'Grim'? I surely meant 'life affirming'.
As to 'The Miracle of our Lady'. I listened to a very generous helping online and I WILL DEFINATELY be buying the Supraphon set. I was right about that R3 broadcast. One of Bohuslav's best! (But Supraphon really should do something about that b***** awful cover design. She looks like Ray Milland in 'The Man with two heads'!

PS: Is any of Martinu's ballet music worth adding to my collection? The list at
      Wikipedia is pretty long!

Lethevich

Quote from: Luke on July 09, 2011, 02:06:06 AM
Re Josef Suk - terrible news. I never heard a recording by him which did not move me with its warmth and humanity. A truly great artist.

Indeed - he even made me almost enjoy Beethoven's VC.

np: Martinů's curious early tone poem for string quartet - my own designation, not his - Tři Jezdci (Three Horsemen).
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

cilgwyn

Beethoven's VC. I had 'Gorgeous Pouter' Ann Sophie Mutter's 'version' on last night. She dropped the old woolly jumpers a while back,I hear!

Luke

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on July 09, 2011, 09:43:46 AM
np: Martinů's curious early tone poem for string quartet - my own designation, not his - Tři Jezdci (Three Horsemen).

I had the first page of that, in Martinu's juvenile best script, on the mystery scores thread - here http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,3125.msg236310.html#msg236310 Wow, nearly three years ago!