Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Luke on July 12, 2011, 11:27:56 AM
Of course I do, and the sentiment is appreciated. I have no hard feelings whatsoever, and when I first posted I kew that this kind of to-and-fro between us would run for a post or two. The point is, as I hope I made clear, I like that disc a lot too; my only misgiving is about whether it is a good choice to recommend it to a newbie.

I also agree with what you say about them having a 'heart' which isn't always as on the surface in Martinu's work as it is here. I guess that is because, as I was hinting at, they haven't yet shed their 19th century heritage as much as his later works would. But though it is not a typical feature of his music, you are right that it is certainly a charming one and one of the pleasures of the disc.

I understood your point loud and clear which is this is not mature Martinu. I knew this going into the recording myself, which I was already familiar with mature Martinu by this time anyway, so, yes, you're certainly right in this regard. But, like you, this doesn't keep me from enjoying the music as it is. I just finished listening to this recording a few moments ago:

I love all of these compositions on this disc. So much fun!

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 12, 2011, 07:57:59 AM
I sent Greg (one of our resident Martinu fanatics) a PM last night and we both shared and compared collections last night, here is my current Martinu collection. Any suggestions of where to go next would be welcome:

Ah, Martinu recs...I feel like a kid in a candy store!

I'd say, without hesitation, go for his cello sonatas next. They're among my favorite of all Martinu.

I have this recording which is stellar (Is the image visible? Can't see it myself...):

[asin]B000003FA6[/asin]
Here it is:

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 12, 2011, 05:48:40 PM
Ah, Martinu recs...I feel like a kid in a candy store!

I'd say, without hesitation, go for his cello sonatas next. They're among my favorite of all Martinu.

I have this recording which is stellar (Is the image visible? Can't see it myself...):

[asin]B000003FA6[/asin]
Here it is:

Thanks for the recommendations, Divertimentian. Have you heard any of his operas? I bought Julietta and The Greek Passion last night, so I look forward to hearing these.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 12, 2011, 06:04:42 PM
Have you heard any of his operas? I bought Julietta and The Greek Passion last night, so I look forward to hearing these.

Yes, I love his operas. I was going to rec some but I noticed you'd already picked up some recordings. Interestingly I've never heard The Greek Passion, but Julietta is at the top of the heap of Martinu recs. I'm hoping one day some company will give us a new, state-of-the-art recording of that piece (Julietta). The current one is in good sound but I'm itching for a recording with clear, rich dynamics to really hear the work to its fullest.

Someone already mentioned Ariane. It's a delight.

I also have these two opera sets - comprising four one act operas - which I think aren't so common anymore (which is sad):

[asin]B00004OCEP[/asin]

[asin]B0000035AO[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 12, 2011, 06:30:36 PM
Yes, I love his operas. I was going to rec some but I noticed you'd already picked up some recordings. Interestingly I've never heard The Greek Passion, but Julietta is at the top of the heap of Martinu recs. I'm hoping one day some company will give us a new, state-of-the-art recording of that piece (Julietta). The current one is in good sound but I'm itching for a recording with clear, rich dynamics to really hear the work to its fullest.

Someone already mentioned Ariane. It's a delight.

I also have these two opera sets - comprising four one act operas - which I think aren't so common anymore (which is sad):

[asin]B00004OCEP[/asin]

[asin]B0000035AO[/asin]

Yes, these recordings are rare and expensive, so I'll have to wait on some reissues. I was really hoping Mackerras would do Julietta seeing as he introduced a recording with three fragments from the opera and the suite, but that dream has sailed. Perhaps a conductor like, and I know I'm dreaming here, like Gergiev would take up the mantle? I'm quite surprised Belohlavek or Pesek hasn't made a recording of it yet. ??? Anyway, here's to dreaming...

Lethevich

Julietta and Ariane definitely stand out for me. Martinů wrote a lot of operas, but as a corpus they are not as memorable as Janáček's. The Miracles of Mary (along with the Greek Passion) stand out as other worthies IMO - the former has a bit of everything, religious mysticism, all kinds of arrangements of dance, rustic and sublime moments wrapped up in a series of powerful vignettes. Not quite like Puccini's Il trittico, there are strands that bind all the seemingly unrelated scenes together into a high-concept sweep. It's very cool, but I can't explain it very well.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on July 12, 2011, 06:41:43 PM
Julietta and Ariane definitely stand out for me. Martinů wrote a lot of operas, but as a corpus they are not as memorable as Janáček's. The Miracles of Mary (along with the Greek Passion) stand out as other worthies IMO - the former has a bit of everything, religious mysticism, all kinds of arrangements of dance, rustic and sublime moments wrapped up in a series of powerful vignettes. Not quite like Puccini's Il trittico, there are strands that bind all the seemingly unrelated scenes together into a high-concept sweep. It's very cool, but I can't explain it very well.

Yes, The Miracles of Mary sounds quite interesting. It'll probably be my next purchase along with Ariane.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 12, 2011, 06:37:38 PM
I was really hoping Mackerras would do Julietta seeing as he introduced a recording with three fragments from the opera and the suite, but that dream has sailed. Perhaps a conductor like, and I know I'm dreaming here, like Gergiev would take up the mantle? I'm quite surprised Belohlavek or Pesek hasn't made a recording of it yet. ??? Anyway, here's to dreaming...

Yeah, I had wondered if Mackerras would record it complete but, well.......

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 12, 2011, 06:52:17 PM
Yeah, I had wondered if Mackerras would record it complete but, well.......

It's a shame I tell ya, a crying shame... :'(

TheGSMoeller

Yes, buy this.

I love this disc, the ending aria is about 9 minutes long for Celina Lindsley, who portrays Ariane, and it is stunning.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 12, 2011, 07:31:50 PM
Yes, buy this.

I love this disc, the ending aria is about 9 minutes long for Celina Lindsley, who portrays Ariane, and it is stunning.

Trust me, Greg, I'm definitely going to buy it, but right now there are no good sellers on Amazon.

cilgwyn

I'm going to buy 'The Miracle of our Lady' NOW!

cilgwyn

cilgwyn

I would like to point out that I'm not turning up my nose at you're suggestions. Quite frankly,I think I would buy every Martinu opera available on cd if I had the budget,but I have fond memories of listening to 'The Miracle of our Lady' on R3  some years ago and I've been saying I'm going to buy it for years so I think I should finally pull my finger out of my **@ and buy it!
'The Greek Passion' is marvellous. The recording I have is the original Supraphon tape set and I wonder whether I should inflict my brand new bargain Pioneer cassette deck on it. For some reason I went off Martinu for a couple of years,but this thread has got the Martinu bug going again. Incidentally,I find it interesting that allot of Welsh composers seem to have been inspired by Martinu. Or are they? Parts of orchestral scores by Mathias and Rhian Samuel for example,but maybe it's just my imagination.
I agree with MI about Julietta. I am personally very keen on those old Supraphon recordings,but the thought of what modern state of the art recording technology could do with those shimmering almost hallucinogenic textures really IS enticing.

TheGSMoeller

These are two discs I always recommend, they are from the cheaper-priced label Arte-Nova Classica, but the quality of the playing is anything but. In fact I've had some luck with Arte-Nova of late, their catalog is huge and contain some top-notch performances. Anyway, here are the two Martinu's that I own from this label...

[asin]B0007X9TSO[/asin]

[asin]B000A2UBT8[/asin]

cilgwyn

I feel a mention should be made for Supraphons interesting.if somewhat eccentric,artwork. Keep the recommendations coming. This is very useful as Martinu was so prolific.
I suppose I have overrated 'The Miracle of our Lady'. It is a long time since I heard it & it is probably uneven;but I also remember some of it was very inspired & it DID 'stay with me' & now I've got the 'Martinu bug' again (not sure about that word) I have a need to hear it again. It is certainly an odd hybrid,but I DO think it deserves a mention & the eccentricity of the construction of piece is another reason,even if it isn't entirely successful,why Martinu,like Janacek, is such an interesting 'opera' (?) composer.
Incidentally,Supraphons reissue policy is nearly as annoying as emi's. I missed out on the Supraphon cd reissue of the (c 80's?) recording of Fibich's Sarka & years later I'm still waiting for that. The Benackova recording of 'The Bartered Bride' was another one. Unavailable for ages.
   By the way,talkng of emi. I managed to procure a relatively cheap cd set of Kienzl's 'Der Evangelimann' on ebay. Listening to this once popular opera reminds me of how some of the major record labels would pull out the stops for a rarity like this,years ago. A fantastic cast. Unimaginable now. Remember CBS's (or was it Sony,I must look) fabulous 'Schwanda'? In German,I know,but it's hard to imagine a better cast. And the late lamented,Lucia Popp,one of my all time favourite singers.  The only downside is I  now want to hear Kienzl's 'Don Quixote' (on cpo) now. More expense! Incidentally,uneven or not,'Der Evangelimann' (The Jelly Man!) is a fun if unsubtle romp,a bit like Hansel & Gretel in lederhosen. I will file it under guilty pleasures!
NB: Those Arte Nova recordings look like good VFM! I wonder what the performances are like though?

cilgwyn

'The Miracle of our Lady' landed today! Marvellous. At least cd 1 was ( I haven't had time to listen to the rest,yet). Can't see anything wrong with it,I'm afraid. I think the important thing with a work like this is to ignore operatic convention,don't worry about the construction of it,or the libretto and just let this wonderfully bizarre,hallucinatory eccentric hybrid drift past you're ear'oles.
Only trouble is,you want to hear more Martinu,and there's SO much (thank goodness,I suppose?).
Supraphon really DO need to sort out their EXTREMELY infuriating reissue policy,though. (They almost give emi a run for their money in that respect).

cilgwyn

I'm afraid I like cd 2,as well. Wonderful,mesmerising. I can't get enough of this. Apologies for disagreeing! I have also ordered the Jilek Supraphon recording of 'The excursions of Mr Broucek' because I feel the bizarre nature & atmosphere of the piece will be an appropriately odd 'companion' for the Martinu cycle in my 5 cd changer.
I did consider the newer recording,which I know has been praised & I have heard on the radio,but I fancied hearing the old Supraphon recording. Oh,and the price was VERY low!!!!

NB: Nearly posted a real howler. I typed the 'Sexcursions of Mr Broucek' by mistake.
      Luckily, I caught the blooper in time. (What's happening to me?!!!).

Archaic Torso of Apollo

heads up!

Now this is interesting. A brand new Martinu symphony cycle on CD, taken from the Belohlavek/BBCSO concerts last season:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jul/24/martinu-six-symphonies-belohlavek-review
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

cilgwyn

Good! I had noticed that somewhere else. I didn't hear the concerts I'm afraid. Reading this thread has re-ignited my enthusiasm. I may get the Neumann cycle later in the year too,for old times sake. It's not top of the list of recommendations list these days,but it was my introduction to this composer (as a teenager) and there's a sort of 'pioneering spirit' there,which I rather like.
The more Martinu cycles the better.