Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Quote from: Drasko on February 22, 2012, 11:53:36 PM
Sound on Valek set isn't ideal, but no two people yet agreed why. To me sounds close, dry with somewhat recessed brass.

Hmm, this sounds curiously like his Dvořák cycle - the music somehow came across as bland, but hard to pin down why.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Luke

Quote from: eyeresist on February 23, 2012, 05:09:00 PM
Apart from Hurwitz's review, I can only find ONE review of Valek's set online:

Prior to this 2008 release, Vladimir Válek had not always delivered particularly exciting performances. His 1980 disc of Suk's Fairy Tale and Praga was thick and dull, while his 1994 disc of Fibich's overtures and symphonic poems was bland and turgid. But his 2008 set of Martinu's six symphonies must stand with the most convincing complete cycles of the works. These performances have the luminous colors, buoyant tempos, and tensile strength the music requires, but more significantly, they have a depth and maturity that Válek's earlier interpretations often lacked. His Fifth's Larghetto has tremendous emotional power, while the tragic sorrow of his Third's central Largo and the blissful joy of his Sixth's closing Lento have rarely been so persuasively expressed. The Prague Radio Symphony is a tight, responsive ensemble that gives Válek the alert and energetic playing he asks for, and Supraphon's wide-ranging digital sound captures them in a clear, natural acoustic. While there have been great recordings of individual symphonies from Karel Ancerl and Jirí Belohlávek
and great complete cycles from Bryden Thomson and Arthur Fagen, this cycle should be on the short list for anyone interested in Martinu's symphonies. ~ James Leonard, Rovi

http://entertainment.sears.com/martinu-prague-radio-sym-orch-valek-martin-symphonies-nos-1-6/099925394028#!?tabnum=1

The bit I highlighted tells me what I need to know about the value of this reviewer's opinions on Martinu symphonies - the Fagen set is a total travesty, a horrible, horrible joke in every way.

It's simple really - for a great Martinu symphony set, go for Neumann. For a single disc of Martinu, if you've never heard any before, go for the disc that has AFAIK converted more to the cause than any other - the Turnovsky 4th, with the Tre Ricercare  (there was a long period in my life when practically every person I talked with about Martinu turned out to have heard this disc first, and have fallen in love immediately; that was the case with me too).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Luke on February 23, 2012, 09:49:16 PMIt's simple really - for a great Martinu symphony set, go for Neumann.

Which I already warmly recommended. Good to see somebody likes the Neumann as much as I do. 8)

eyeresist

Quote from: Luke on February 23, 2012, 09:49:16 PMThe bit I highlighted tells me what I need to know about the value of this reviewer's opinions on Martinu symphonies - the Fagen set is a total travesty, a horrible, horrible joke in every way.

Oddly, Hurwitz lambasted Valek but praised Fagen's set too, calling it a "sleeper".

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on February 23, 2012, 09:58:28 PM
Oddly, Hurwitz lambasted Valek but praised Fagen's set too, calling it a "sleeper".

I never bothered with Fagen's set because of just how negative all the reviews were and Luke only reaffirmed this for me. 8)

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Luke on February 23, 2012, 09:49:16 PM
The bit I highlighted tells me what I need to know about the value of this reviewer's opinions on Martinu symphonies - the Fagen set is a total travesty, a horrible, horrible joke in every way.

I've read some extreme opinions on Fagen. A lot of people trash it, condemning it to the 9th Circle of Hell of Recordings, from which it should never be allowed to emerge again, lest it poison an entire generation against Martinu. Others rather like it; and to my surprise, Hurwitz was full of praise for it recently (in his Belohlavek review), which is weird, because his initial response to it was rather cool.

QuoteIt's simple really - for a great Martinu symphony set, go for Neumann.

While I like Neumann a lot, his is not the only or even the preferred approach. It depends what you're looking for. To expand on my brief comment above, Neumann presents Martinu as a successor of Dvorak: romantic, somewhat folksy, fairly relaxed overall, a bit soft-edged at times. If you want to hear the snap of the rhythm, and the bite of piano and percussion which forms part of Martinu's unique soundworld, you're not going to hear much of it from Neumann. There are important percussion parts (for instance, in the scherzo of the 4th) that I didn't even know existed until I heard performances other than Neumann's.

If you want a more modernist, neo-classical Martinu, linking him to the likes of Stravinsky and Janacek, I recommend the new Belohlavek (see my review on the previous page). What the hell, get both Belohlavek and Neumann and you'll have the best of both worlds.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

eyeresist

Quote from: Velimir on February 23, 2012, 10:03:31 PMTo expand on my brief comment above, Neumann presents Martinu as a successor of Dvorak: romantic, somewhat folksy, fairly relaxed overall, a bit soft-edged at times. If you want to hear the snap of the rhythm, and the bite of piano and percussion which forms part of Martinu's unique soundworld, you're not going to hear much of it from Neumann. There are important percussion parts (for instance, in the scherzo of the 4th) that I didn't even know existed until I heard performances other than Neumann's.

Yes, from what I've heard of Martinu, his music really needs the clearest and most detailed sound. I plan to order the Belohlavek set in a week or two.

Mirror Image

I'm starting to get bit by the Martinu bug again, which, if I remember correctly, I went through a huge Martinu phase right around the time I joined this forum. I just love his music and he was one of those composers like so many I've encountered where their music didn't make much of an impression on me at first but the more I listened, the more I liked what I heard.

I own five Martinu symphony cycles and I've praised Neumann's cycle here to high heaven, but I do want to say I enjoy Bryden Thomson's cycle a lot as well. Jarvi's is quite good too, but I think Neumann and Thomson convinced me the most of these symphonies. Thomson's is more driven while Neumann's is more texturally detailed. Many have said with Martinu you want that rhythmic punch because of the all the syncopations in these symphonies, but you also don't want to loose detail either. His harmony is lush while his rhythms are lean. It's certainly a fascinating sound.

Edit: I thought I would never say this but I'm preferring Thomson's high energy to Neumann's more textural approach now. There's something about Thomson's performances that just seem like sunlight bursting out of the clouds to me. His approach may not be to everyone's liking, but Martinu's music needs this kind of rhythmic edge that Neumann's simply does not have. You can't even hear the piano in the second movement of Neumann's 4th! How frustrating! Anyway, I do like Neumann but Thomson's cycle is sounding better and better to me. This was my first Martinu symphony cycle too, but I've heard Neumann's and Jarvi's cycles many, many times. I have yet to hear the new Belohlavek cycle (on Onyx) which I seriously need to remedy.

Catison

I agree with you Mirror, except for the 6th, which seems to be played oppositely between Thomson and Neumann.  Neumann is rhythmically aggressive while Thomson is more moody.  I like the Neumann 6th better.
-Brett

Mirror Image

Quote from: Catison on May 07, 2012, 02:47:17 AM
I agree with you Mirror, except for the 6th, which seems to be played oppositely between Thomson and Neumann.  Neumann is rhythmically aggressive while Thomson is more moody.  I like the Neumann 6th better.

You're probably right, Catison. I haven't done any comparisons in awhile, but I was pretty disappointed in Neumann's 4th, especially since I couldn't hear the piano at all, which is a key part to that second movement's.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 07, 2012, 07:04:33 AM
You're probably right, Catison. I haven't done any comparisons in awhile, but I was pretty disappointed in Neumann's 4th, especially since I couldn't hear the piano at all, which is a key part to that second movement's.

That's the downside of Neumann's cycle: it's kind of soft-edged, and a lot of details get drowned in the rather distant, resonant recording. For the percussive side of Martinu, I haven't heard better than the new Belohlavek.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Velimir on May 07, 2012, 07:07:34 AM
That's the downside of Neumann's cycle: it's kind of soft-edged, and a lot of details get drowned in the rather distant, resonant recording. For the percussive side of Martinu, I haven't heard better than the new Belohlavek.

I heard Belohlavek's new cycle is kind of dry sonically. I have yet to hear it, but this kind doesn't sit too well with me.

snyprrr

Does anyone have that EMI 2cd with the old Hickox/Virgin cd coupled with Kubelik's 4th?

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on May 07, 2012, 07:36:04 AM
Does anyone have that EMI 2cd with the old Hickox/Virgin cd coupled with Kubelik's 4th?

Nope, I've purposely stayed away from for fear of disappointment.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: snyprrr on May 07, 2012, 07:36:04 AM

No, but I've got the Hickox CD coupled with something else. Are you interested in one, the other, or both?

not edward

Quote from: Velimir on May 07, 2012, 08:14:19 AM
No, but I've got the Hickox CD coupled with something else. Are you interested in one, the other, or both?
I have heard the Kubelik, and found it rather underwhelming. I don't think it adds anything to the work that you wouldn't get from Turnovsky, Neumann and Belohlavek, which makes it superfluous in my eyes.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

cilgwyn

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2012, 09:58:15 PM
Which I already warmly recommended. Good to see somebody likes the Neumann as much as I do. 8)
And me! ;D
I like his underrated recordings of the Dvorak Symphonic poems,too;but that's for another thread!
Of course,like allot of other people in my age group :o,the Neumann cycle was my introduction to these wonders! I still have fond memories of 'discovering' those Supraphon Lps,with those wierd heads (on the sleeves),in Haverfordwest library & thinking.'Hm! I think I'll borrow this!' (You were only allowed two at a time,of course).
  Great to see Supraphon have revived the wierd heads! :o ;D Oh,the nostalgia!!!! :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 07, 2012, 10:25:37 AM
And me! ;D
I like his underrated recordings of the Dvorak Symphonic poems,too;but that's for another thread!
Of course,like allot of other people in my age group :o,the Neumann cycle was my introduction to these wonders! I still have fond memories of 'discovering' those Supraphon Lps,with those wierd heads (on the sleeves),in Haverfordwest library & thinking.'Hm! I think I'll borrow this!' (You were only allowed two at a time,of course).
  Great to see Supraphon have revived the wierd heads! :o ;D Oh,the nostalgia!!!! :)

Yeah, Neumann's Martinu recordings (including the ones of the concerti) are all uniformly great. Good to see another admirer of his approach to this music.

Karl Henning

Caught up in the fever of the Weird Head Revival . . . I've found the Neumann set at a good price . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 07, 2012, 11:22:28 AM
Yeah, Neumann's Martinu recordings (including the ones of the concerti) are all uniformly great.

But . . .

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 07, 2012, 07:04:33 AM
. . . I was pretty disappointed in Neumann's 4th.

I perceive a disharmony here . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot