Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Always something new to discover with this composer. I was driving home listening to the radio, and something with the rather generic title Chamber Music No. 1 came on. It was definitely Martinu-sounding, but jazzier than usual and even a bit avant-gardish. Anyone know this piece?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on January 08, 2013, 07:56:24 AM
Nonet, Sonatina for 2 violins & piano H. 198, Double Concerto and Julietta. The symphonies, too, but I need to revisit them.

What about you?

Sinfonietta la Jolla, Cello Concerto No. 2, Symphonies 3-6, Piano Concerto No. 4 "Incantations", Double Concerto, The Parables, Magic Nights, Violin Concerto No. 2, Rhapsody-Concerto, Concerto da camera, La Revue de cuisine, On tourne!, and the list goes on and on...

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Velimir on January 08, 2013, 08:18:53 AM
Always something new to discover with this composer. I was driving home listening to the radio, and something with the rather generic title Chamber Music No. 1 came on. It was definitely Martinu-sounding, but jazzier than usual and even a bit avant-gardish. Anyone know this piece?

I wonder if it isn't from this disc, Velimir (last piece):

[asin]B001AYAL2C[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Yeah, that's gotta be it. I'll pass on that disc, since I have the other pieces already. My next investment should be the oboe and harpsichord ctos. on Supraphon.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Velimir on January 08, 2013, 09:50:56 AM
My next investment should be the oboe and harpsichord ctos. on Supraphon.

I won't argue there! ;D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on January 08, 2013, 10:00:57 AM
I won't argue there! ;D

I knew you wouldn't. ;) By the way, what do you think about the Harpsichord Concerto? I personally don't like the instrument that much, but have been impressed with what Poulenc and Falla have done with their concerti for it.

Brian

Quote from: Velimir on January 08, 2013, 08:18:53 AM

According to the liner notes to this Naxos disc -

- the title Chamber Music No. 1 is an intentional misdirection. It's the last chamber music he wrote before he died, dating from 1959. He was originally going to call it "Les fêtes nocturnes".

I am listening to this CD now, but am on the Harpsichord Concerto, which comes first. The concerto is most notable because the chamber ensemble also includes a piano, leading the harpsichord and piano to interesting dialogues.

Mirror Image

Bought one more Martinu recording that I didn't own:

I'm done for awhile now. :) I bought this for $15, which is a great bargain.

Mirror Image

To recap, here's what I have on the way...

Mirror Image

The opera Julietta seriously needs to be performed and recorded again, especially given the technological advances since that Supraphon recording. I wish Belohlavek or even Hrusa would record this opera. It's such an atmospheric work that I'd love to be able to finally hear all the nuances in the music. Speaking of Martinu's opera, The Greek Passion is one I enjoy as well.

not edward

Could also be from this fine disc:

[asin]B00005AMLI[/asin]

It's another of his fine late works--the slow movement is particularly impressive, a great example of the vein of lyrical melancholy that appears often in Martinu's late work.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Mirror Image

I'm digging this performance of Spalicek a lot:

It certainly points at Stravinsky's Les noces, but has it's own distinctive character. This is an earthy ballet and has this wonderful folk feeling throughout. Kind of reminds of Bartok's works like Hungarian Peasant Songs or Szymanowski's Harnasie. Great stuff.

cilgwyn

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2013, 10:59:55 AM
Bought one more Martinu recording that I didn't own:

I'm done for awhile now. :) I bought this for $15, which is a great bargain.
I must say I've liked 'The Miracle of our Lady' cycle ever since hearing a broadcast of the set on R3,quite a few years ago,now! It made an impression on me & not everything I hear,while I'm 'casually' listening to the radio,does that for me! Anyway, I finally got around to buying the set about a year or so,ago & I still like it. The performances are marvellous & the music has a wonderfully strange atmosphere,no wonder it stuck in my mind. I find it strange that some people here don't think too highly of it? Oh,well!!! ::) Anyway,that aside,I have been curious about 'Spalicek' for a while,so you're post may be the clincher,Mirror Image! It strikes me as one of his less well known works..... out of quite allot of music!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 08, 2013, 12:31:11 PM
I must say I've liked 'The Miracle of our Lady' cycle ever since hearing a broadcast of the set on R3,quite a few years ago,now! It made an impression on me & not everything I hear,while I'm 'casually' listening to the radio,does that for me! Anyway, I finally got around to buying the set about a year or so,ago & I still like it. The performances are marvellous & the music has a wonderfully strange atmosphere,no wonder it stuck in my mind. I find it strange that some people here don't think too highly of it? Oh,well!!! ::) Anyway,that aside,I have been curious about 'Spalicek' for a while,so you're post may be the clincher,Mirror Image! It strikes me as one of his less well known works..... out of quite allot of music!!

I think I recall seeing your post about this particular work, so I looked over my Martinu collection and I didn't own it, so I had to have it, especially since it's not a well-known work. I'm certainly proud that you still enjoy it. I feel the same way about The Greek Passion (Mackerras/Supraphon). It's a fine opera and contains plenty of fine music. Spalicek should appeal to you if you like any of the works I mentioned above by Stravinsky, Bartok, and Szymanowski. I'm not sure why this ballet isn't well-known, but one possibility could be the length of the work. I believe the suites have been recorded by Mackerras. I could be wrong, but I would definitely snap up this recording. The Spectre's Bride is another work worth hearing in this set.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2013, 10:14:25 AM
I knew you wouldn't. ;) By the way, what do you think about the Harpsichord Concerto? I personally don't like the instrument that much, but have been impressed with what Poulenc and Falla have done with their concerti for it.

I think you'll like the harpsichord concerto, MI. It's another highly individual work, very characterful and again written with an ear towards integration (like the oboe concerto). The harpsichord may be the solo instrument but the music as a whole is so well written that you'll hardly notice there's an instrument present you don't really care for. :) The music overall carries the day.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on January 08, 2013, 01:08:47 PM
I think you'll like the harpsichord concerto, MI. It's another highly individual work, very characterful and again written with an ear towards integration (like the oboe concerto). The harpsichord may be the solo instrument but the music as a whole is so well written that you'll hardly notice there's an instrument present you don't really care for. :) The music overall carries the day.

Thanks, DD. I look forward to hearing it. Do you own any of the ballets I bought (i. e. Checkmating The King, The Butterfly That Stamped)?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2013, 01:12:56 PM
Thanks, DD. I look forward to hearing it. Do you own any of the ballets I bought (i. e. Checkmating The King, The Butterfly That Stamped)?

The ballets are as of yet unexplored territory for me in Martinu. I've tried to collect as broad a range of music as I can of his over the years but I haven't quite made it to these works yet. Hmm...I do have something left on my Christmas Amazon gift card.... ;D Any suggestions?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on January 08, 2013, 01:28:53 PM
The ballets are as of yet unexplored territory for me in Martinu. I've tried to collect as broad a range of music as I can of his over the years but I haven't quite made it to these works yet. Hmm...I do have something left on my Christmas Amazon gift card.... ;D Any suggestions?

Either one of these recordings:

Dancing Divertimentian