Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fafner

Quote from: Leo K. on January 15, 2013, 11:06:06 AM
John (Mirror Image) and all the rest in this thread, you have convinced me to try Martinu.  8)

I now have the Neumann account of the symphonies, violin concertos (with josef Suk), and a disk of the complete quartets (I'm at work and can't remember the artists). Can't wait!

Welcome!
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on January 15, 2013, 11:06:06 AM
John (Mirror Image) and all the rest in this thread, you have convinced me to try Martinu.  8)

I now have the Neumann account of the symphonies, violin concertos (with josef Suk), and a disk of the complete quartets (I'm at work and can't remember the artists). Can't wait!

Excellent news, Leo! Please don't hesitate to come back to this thread and share your thoughts. :) I hope you got the Panocha Quartet's set of Martinu's SQs on Supraphon. That one is fantastic.

Leo K.

I definitely will John, Thanks! (I'm also trying out Delius too, your avatar intrigued me.)

Yup! The Panocha set is the one I have  8)

Leo K.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on January 15, 2013, 01:28:11 PM
I definitely will John, Thanks! (I'm also trying out Delius too, your avatar intrigued me.)

Yup! The Panocha set is the one I have  8)

You're welcome. Delius is a harder sell than Martinu, but I hope you find at least one work you enjoy.

I found Delius by complete mistake. Many years ago, I was searching for Delibes via Google and I must have misspelt Delibes' name and when I clicked search it came up with the question: "Did you mean Delius?" I never heard of Delius, so that's when I discovered his music. The rest is history. :) Kind of a lame story, but it's certainly true.

snyprrr

What of the 3 Piano Trios?

I was just listening to the Angell trio, the one that's been available on ASV Quicksilva for years. All of a sudden I felt that the performance wasn't up to par. I looked on Amazon, and Lo!, the PTs aren't very well represented (no Hyperion, for one). The Bekova Sisters on Chandos appear to be the closest competition, but ugh!, they are stretched over two cds, with Ravel.

Anyone got a recommends for PT 3 'The Great'? This one is particularly underrepresented.

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on January 15, 2013, 06:27:22 PM

I was just listening to the Angell trio, the one that's been available on ASV Quicksilva for years. All of a sudden I felt that the performance wasn't up to par. I looked on Amazon, and Lo!, the PTs aren't very well represented (no Hyperion, for one). The Bekova Sisters on Chandos appear to be the closest competition, but ugh!, they are stretched over two cds, with Ravel.

Anyone got a recommends for PT 3 'The Great'? This one is particularly underrepresented.

anyone?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: snyprrr on January 15, 2013, 06:27:22 PM

I don't have a recording of the piano trios yet but I've been eyeing this disc very intently the past several weeks. Online samples (here at JPC) sound enticing.

[asin]B0025YZ87O[/asin]

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

snyprrr

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on January 16, 2013, 08:34:14 AM
I don't have a recording of the piano trios yet but I've been eyeing this disc very intently the past several weeks. Online samples (here at JPC) sound enticing.

[asin]B0025YZ87O[/asin]

PT 3 is the 'Great' one (in C major/minor), and quite a modern delight, and yet is the one neglected by all except the completists. I'm curious why the new Naxos isn't tingling your spider senses? Anyway, it does seem like we have the Angell, Naxos, and the Kinsky there, as the only Complete surveys?

But here's the thing. You can get the 5 Pieces as a filler to many PT recital cds. And, if they do play one of the bigger ones, it's always the D-minor. As I said, I was beginning to question the Angell's competency all of a sudden, making me think that the Domus folks had put out a Martinu disc, but, no, we are pretty thin.

I'm gonna ask you to check out the Naxos also. Meetcha back here at 21:00. Roger out.

I'm really hoping we have more fans here! ???

Leo K.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 15, 2013, 02:14:25 PM
You're welcome. Delius is a harder sell than Martinu, but I hope you find at least one work you enjoy.

I found Delius by complete mistake. Many years ago, I was searching for Delibes via Google and I must have misspelt Delibes' name and when I clicked search it came up with the question: "Did you mean Delius?" I never heard of Delius, so that's when I discovered his music. The rest is history. :) Kind of a lame story, but it's certainly true.

Thanks for sharing that, Delius came to you first!

Brian

Quote from: snyprrr on January 16, 2013, 09:41:01 AM
I'm gonna ask you to check out the Naxos also. Meetcha back here at 21:00. Roger out.

When the Naxos version came out, I listened to a few tracks having never heard the Martinu piano trios before. I didn't make it through the CD; the playing was rather suspect.

snyprrr

Quote from: Brian on January 17, 2013, 04:45:26 AM
When the Naxos version came out, I listened to a few tracks having never heard the Martinu piano trios before. I didn't make it through the CD; the playing was rather suspect.

Aaargh! :( That makes TWO. >:( Hopefully, then, the Kinski group is better. Why no Hyperion??

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: snyprrr on January 16, 2013, 09:41:01 AM
I'm curious why the new Naxos isn't tingling your spider senses?

I'm gonna ask you to check out the Naxos also. Meetcha back here at 21:00. Roger out

Hey, snyps.

Well, not owning either disc (Praga or Naxos) I'm not sure I can offer anything of substance beyond what I glean from internet sampling. I've long enjoyed Martinu's music so I do have clear preferences and one thing I've learned is for me Czech performers are most able (but not exclusively) to capture that elusive "folksy" element in Martinu's music, which is essential for buoyancy and lift.

Just from the JPC samples alone this is precisely what I hear in the Kinsky performances, along with ample color, which shouldn't be downplayed!

Totally unscientifically (sampling only) I'm not so sure I hear any of this in the Arbor samples (again on JPC). But this is of course only an impression as I haven't given either full listens.

This is tough since it's not exactly fair to denounce a recording based on sampling alone but in the "sampling game" between these two sets I have no doubt I'd sooner plunk down for the Kinsky.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Daverz

eclassical has the Czech Trio (on Arco Divo) and the Schubert Ensemble in Piano Trio 3.  Maybe I'll just try one.

snyprrr

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on January 17, 2013, 09:50:08 AM
Hey, snyps.

Well, not owning either disc (Praga or Naxos) I'm not sure I can offer anything of substance beyond what I glean from internet sampling. I've long enjoyed Martinu's music so I do have clear preferences and one thing I've learned is for me Czech performers are most able (but not exclusively) to capture that elusive "folksy" element in Martinu's music, which is essential for buoyancy and lift.

Just from the JPC samples alone this is precisely what I hear in the Kinsky performances, along with ample color, which shouldn't be downplayed!

Totally unscientifically (sampling only) I'm not so sure I hear any of this in the Arbor samples (again on JPC). But this is of course only an impression as I haven't given either full listens.

This is tough since it's not exactly fair to denounce a recording based on sampling alone but in the "sampling game" between these two sets I have no doubt I'd sooner plunk down for the Kinsky.

You're right. I just can't believe their wasn't an old Supraphon/Panton/Praga PT recital floating around. But, the new generation of Czech artists hopefully will fulfill expectations and beyond.

I mean, really, Martinu's contribution to the Piano Trio IS, if we look, the Greatest of his generation (maybe Villa-Lobos?),... again, none by Hindemith, Bartok, Stravinsky, Vienna, etc.,... Martinu IS The Man here, and it does seem high time to have a Master Key Performance (btw-the name of my Recording Company, back off!!) of at least the 3rd.

Does anyone else have the Angell Trio on ASX Quicksilva? They just made me want the TOTALITY,... MOOOOOORE!!!, I WANT MORE!!! :'( :'( waaah,... how much to hire a trio from Peabody?? I smell Grammy!!

Leo K.

Listening to my new Neumann/CzPO - complete set of symphonies on Supraphon - from late '70s.

Starting at the beginning with the 1st symphony.

Martinu was 51 - a late age for starting down the symphonic route - although Brahms was also a late starter. Koussevitsky commissioned the symphony (alongside Bartók's Concerto for Orchestra and Stravinsky's Ode) in memory of his wife, Natalie. The First is romantically inclined - thick with images of seas thriving with swirling plankton, effervescently irrepressible, the stamp of the Rite of Spring, the chuckle of Petrushka, the third movement a funereal reflection rising to a great string anthem - the equipoise of the whole work. The Supraphon notes (they seem to have been written in 1989) by Jaroslav Mihule (an expert on the composer who has written several books on the subject - sadly not translated into English) are exemplary. They buck the Czech trend of years gone by when Supraphon LPs were usually 'blessed' with hilarious translations into quasi-English. Mihule's information is date, place and person specific. Musical analysis is left on the sidelines. Biographical backdrop is carefully placed alongside artistic cross-reference. Rhythm is the key of this work it seems, reminding me of the psychological Models for imitation in the brains of everyone in the room hearing the same rhythm, forcing them to operate simultaneously and perform the same behaviors in synchrony

The First Symphony was written within a year of the composer's dispossessed arrival in the USA. It was begun in May 1942 in Jamaica and finished quite quickly in 15 weeks - this the longest synchrony. This Martinu driving rhythm is addictive. How is this possible? Is this unconscious mind control by rhythmic sound only driving our bodily motions, or could it be affecting deeper mental processes? The mystery runs deeper than previously thought, according to psychologist Annett Schirmer reporting new findings today at the Society for Neuroscience meeting in New Orleans. Rhythmic sound "not only coordinates the behavior of people in a group, it also coordinates their thinking—the mental processes of individuals in the group become synchronized." Within a few measures of music your brain waves start to get in synch with the rhythm. The Martinu First is cast on an epic scale, and features a lilting, melodic first movement, a haunting, soulful Largo, a peppery scherzo, and a rhapsodic finale. You walk into a bar and music is thumping. All heads are bobbing and feet tapping in synchrony. Somehow the rhythmic sound grabs control of the brains of everyone in the room forcing them to operate simultaneously and perform the same behaviors in This region of the brain processes the earliest steps in vision, the circuits that detect visual input. This means that our perception of the external world entering our mind through our eyes is affected by the rhythm of what we hear. Something seen at a point precisely in beat with an auditory rhythm is more likely to be perceived than if it appears out of synch with the rhythm.

Conor71

Quote from: snyprrr on January 17, 2013, 07:05:54 PM
You're right. I just can't believe their wasn't an old Supraphon/Panton/Praga PT recital floating around. But, the new generation of Czech artists hopefully will fulfill expectations and beyond.

I mean, really, Martinu's contribution to the Piano Trio IS, if we look, the Greatest of his generation (maybe Villa-Lobos?),... again, none by Hindemith, Bartok, Stravinsky, Vienna, etc.,... Martinu IS The Man here, and it does seem high time to have a Master Key Performance (btw-the name of my Recording Company, back off!!) of at least the 3rd.

Does anyone else have the Angell Trio on ASX Quicksilva? They just made me want the TOTALITY,... MOOOOOORE!!!, I WANT MORE!!! :'( :'( waaah,... how much to hire a trio from Peabody?? I smell Grammy!!

I have owned the Angell Trio recording for a couple of years - it was my introduction to this Composer. I have always been very satisfied with this recording and never felt the need to seek out further performances. I have listened to them a fair bit (I think play count is about 15 at the moment).
I am not much of a critic if i am being honest - can you explain a bit more about what you found not up to scratch on this recording? :)

Leo K.

I am listening to Symphony no.3 from my Neumann set. Wow!!! What a shattering emotional experience.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Leo K. on February 02, 2013, 12:25:51 PM
I am listening to Symphony no.3 from my Neumann set. Wow!!! What a shattering emotional experience.

Yes, the symphonies rock!

Daverz

Quote from: Leo K. on February 02, 2013, 12:25:51 PM

I think his digital 3rd is even more shattering.

(Because what what a GMG thread be without a mention of an obscure OOP recording...)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=neumann+martinu+3+6&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aneumann+martinu+3+6