Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)

Started by bhodges, October 04, 2007, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Velimir on April 06, 2014, 02:30:44 PM
My favorites include:

Cello Sonatas (all 3 of 'em)
Nonet (1959)
Piano Quintet No. 2 (No. 1 is good, but No. 2 is stellar)
String Quartet No. 5
La Revue de Cuisine suite (just 5 instruments here, and a lot of fun)

Many thanks Velimir and John.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

North Star

Quote from: vandermolen on April 06, 2014, 02:12:32 PM
Thanks for advice.

Which chamber music score by Martinu would you recommend for starters?
Nonet No. 2 (1959), La Revue de Cuisine, Sonatina for two vlns & pf (1930), the madrigals - all handily in this set:
[asin]B000007NE9[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Quote from: North Star on April 09, 2014, 01:37:36 AM
Nonet No. 2 (1959), La Revue de Cuisine, Sonatina for two vlns & pf (1930), the madrigals - all handily in this set:
[asin]B000007NE9[/asin]

Thanks very much.  :)

Have ordered this CD which includes the Nonet. Mainly because it was inexpensive.
[asin]B000S6NSF0[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brian

People referring to the Nonet as Nonet No. 2 - where is Nonet No. 1? I didn't know there were two.

North Star

Quote from: Brian on April 09, 2014, 04:50:06 AM
People referring to the Nonet as Nonet No. 2 - where is Nonet No. 1? I didn't know there were two.
Wikipedia:
QuoteNonets
Nonet No. 1 (wind quintet, string trio and piano), H. 144 (1925 Paris), fragment
Stowe pastorals (five recorders, clarinet, two violins and cello), H. 335 (1951 New York), 10'
Nonet No. 2 (wind quintet, string trio and double bass), H. 374 (1959 Schönenberg-Pratteln), 16'

My photographs on Flickr

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I think if something is labeled "fragment," it shouldn't be given a number as if it were a completed piece. For me there's only one Nonet.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Brian

Quote from: Velimir on April 09, 2014, 06:23:04 AM
I think if something is labeled "fragment," it shouldn't be given a number as if it were a completed piece. For me there's only one Nonet.
For us, and also for most performers; I had never seen the work called "Nonet No. 2" on any CDs.

Thanks, North Star!

North Star

Quote from: Velimir on April 09, 2014, 06:23:04 AM
+1, I've only used the numbering to make it clear that the one from 1959 is the one I mean, or if someone else has referred to it thusly.

My photographs on Flickr

snyprrr

Music for Violin, Viola, or Cello, with Orchestra

Violin Concerto 1: in the scrappy '30s style, not my favourite

Violin Concerto 2: in the very serious '40s style, also not my favourite

Suite Concertante: in the scrappy '30s style, very scrappy, not my favourite

Duo Concertante: I enjoyed the violin interplay a lot more in this one, even though it's kind of scrappy- still...

Concerto for 2Violins: in the scrappy '30s style, not my favourite

Concerto for Flute & Violin: somewhat scrappy, but some really nice flute and violin passages (somewhat on the 'Duo' level of enjoyment)

Concerto for Violin and Piano: didn't hear

Concerto da Camera: this is in 'War' mode- not the drama of VC2, but like the Double String Orchestra. This, for me, was the hidden gem, though I'd still like to hear the previous Concerto for Violin & Piano that people have been raving about. Still, there's lots of Martinu fun to be had in this piece. Any fans?

Rhapsody-Concerto: in his later, smoother style, very nice. It's a lovely piece regardless of how I feel about it.

Cello Concerto 1: in the scrappy '30s style- still more enjoyablet to me than its violin counterparts

Cello Concerto 2: the Masterpiece! Is this Martinu's actual best Concerto? Maybe?

Cello Concertino: this is a comedy piece, scrappy, but I still like it better than its violin counterparts

It still seems that the Wallfisch/Chandos disc is still the way to go here, huh? Then, hurry to discover the 'Concerto da Camera', and feel free to wallow in the 'Rhapsody-Concerto'! There, did that help? Ha! ;) :D ;D

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: snyprrr on April 15, 2014, 08:41:54 AM
Music for Violin, Viola, or Cello, with Orchestra

Violin Concerto 1: in the scrappy '30s style, not my favourite

Agree.

QuoteViolin Concerto 2: in the very serious '40s style, also not my favourite

Strongly disagree. This is one of my favorite Martinu concertos - showed that he could write in a somewhat heavy Romantic style and still retain his best voice.

QuoteConcerto for Violin and Piano: didn't hear

You're missing out, it's one of his best. Strangely, it sounds like it was written about 10 years earlier than it actually was.

QuoteConcerto da Camera: this is in 'War' mode- not the drama of VC2, but like the Double String Orchestra. This, for me, was the hidden gem, though I'd still like to hear the previous Concerto for Violin & Piano that people have been raving about. Still, there's lots of Martinu fun to be had in this piece. Any fans?

Yes, excellent piece in his more relentless mode.

QuoteRhapsody-Concerto: in his later, smoother style, very nice. It's a lovely piece regardless of how I feel about it.

Sure is!

QuoteCello Concerto 1: in the scrappy '30s style- still more enjoyablet to me than its violin counterparts

I rank this one highly. It exists in 3 different versions; I think I have the last one (Walfisch recording).

QuoteCello Concerto 2: the Masterpiece! Is this Martinu's actual best Concerto? Maybe?

Nope! It has some nice bits, but it's too meandering and unfocused for my taste.

snyprrr

Quote from: Velimir on April 15, 2014, 11:04:49 AM
Agree.

Strongly disagree. This is one of my favorite Martinu concertos - showed that he could write in a somewhat heavy Romantic style and still retain his best voice.

You're missing out, it's one of his best. Strangely, it sounds like it was written about 10 years earlier than it actually was.

Yes, excellent piece in his more relentless mode.

Sure is!

I rank this one highly. It exists in 3 different versions; I think I have the last one (Walfisch recording).

Nope! It has some nice bits, but it's too meandering and unfocused for my taste.

VC 2: I meant what you said,- I appreciate it, but, as you said, it is "heavy" Romantic- serious- that's why I like the CC 2 better, for the easy-going meandering style.

The Violin/Piano one is on the same Hyperion disc as the 'Camera', so, that seems to be the one to get.

Who do you like in VC 2?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: snyprrr on April 15, 2014, 04:34:29 PM
The Violin/Piano one is on the same Hyperion disc as the 'Camera', so, that seems to be the one to get.

Yep, an essential disc, that one  :)

QuoteWho do you like in VC 2?

I have the classic Suk/Neumann. There are other recordings, but I haven't heard  them.

snyprrr

And who do we like in the 'Rhapsody-Concerto'?

Mvmt 1: @9:30-10:30

Mvmt. 2:: 11:00-12:00

Only one had a longer second movement- is that too long or can it handle it?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: snyprrr on April 16, 2014, 07:02:30 AM
And who do we like in the 'Rhapsody-Concerto'?

The same crew as on

Quote from: Velimir on April 15, 2014, 07:13:24 PM
the classic Suk/Neumann.

, which also comes with the not-so-great VC 1. Another essential disc.

pjme

I love some vocal works by Martinu:

The very early Czech rhapsody (1918!) - a big romantic-patriotic cantata

Kytice - a setting of folk poems for soloists, chorus and small orch.

The "Plays of Mary" - 3 shortish operas. "The nativity" is very lovely.

P.

pjme

And this, of course!

http://www.youtube.com/v/2_LEfvCwIdQ

Symphonietta giocosa. An old recording - but very stylish! The conductors name should be "Krombholc".

Germaine Leroux, Martinu and conductor Léon Barzin

snyprrr

Quote from: Velimir on April 16, 2014, 08:08:40 AM
The same crew as on

, which also comes with the not-so-great VC 1. Another essential disc.

I mean, I did used to have that disc- I'm just being difficult! ;)

However, I did survey that CC2, and, yea, I was like, woah dude, it goes on for 38 minutes, and I just KNOW Martinu doesn't have the invention to sustain the length. I used to have the Wallfisch disc (and was planning on retrieving it), and now I can somewhat recall it just going on for ever- even though, it really IS the most Hollywood Concerto (and I mean that in the best way!)! So, thanks for alerting me, I think I may be able to hold off on that disc after all (any reason NOT to Buy is a Good Reason!)!

snyprrr

Well, I found what I was looking for, a hidden Martinu gem, and I will now go and gloat over my new found maneuverability(spell check won't correct!) in the Martinu swamp! If there are any more Masterpieces to be discovered, they are elsewhere.

Do you like the 4th, or 5th, Piano Concerto better?

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: snyprrr on April 16, 2014, 06:31:44 PM
Well, I found what I was looking for, a hidden Martinu gem,

Hey, aren't you gonna tell us what it is? Don't keep us in suspense  >:(

QuoteDo you like the 4th, or 5th, Piano Concerto better?

Right now the 4th, which I think is one of his best last-decade inspirations. But I know it a lot better. I've only heard the 5th a couple of times - a positive experience, but I must explore it further.

snyprrr

Quote from: Velimir on April 16, 2014, 07:46:32 PM
Hey, aren't you gonna tell us what it is? Don't keep us in suspense  >:(

Right now the 4th, which I think is one of his best last-decade inspirations. But I know it a lot better. I've only heard the 5th a couple of times - a positive experience, but I must explore it further.

I haaave to be hush hush until i buy- considering I don't want anyone else to snap up the deal, and I have to wait. I knbow, I know, I do this all the time, when I should do my research in quiet and then present findings, buuut, it's Spring, I'm buying CDs like junkies line up rails- ahhh- make it stop!! (oh- it surely will- haha)-

Surely it's one of the same discoveries that were recently discovered here, hmm??