Author Topic: What's your favorite Parsifal DVD?  (Read 3082 times)

Offline choppin

What's your favorite Parsifal DVD?
« on: October 04, 2007, 02:24:01 PM »

Offline Anne

• Veteran member
Re: What's your favorite Parsifal DVD?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 08:21:28 AM »
I don't have it but noticed it received 5 stars at amazon.  Since I don't have a favorite Parsifal nor like that opera much, I ordered the Stein one in hopes it will help me like that opera.

Offline Wendell_E

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    mostly opera and chamber music
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 08:31:10 AM »
I haven't seen the Stein.  I've got the DVDs of the Syberberg film and Nikolaus Lehnhoff's Baden-Baden production with Christopher Ventris, Thomas Hampson, Waltraud Meier, and Matti Salminen, Kent Nagano conducting.  I really like the latter.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

uffeviking

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 02:15:32 PM »
Parsifal is at the bottom of my Wagner favorites, but this one is preferable to the NY Met Levine, Otto Schenk production having Siegfried Jerusalem sitting in his nightie among a meadow studded with illuminated plastic posies!

It's new only as a DVD, I have had it on LVD for years.  There is a much better Parsifal DVD available, mentioned by Wendell, the Kent Nagano conducted one. Thomas Hampson in one of his best performances.

Michel

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 10:33:07 PM »
Don't buy Levine, it sucks. Silly old costumes and crap quality film - looks ancient. The one in Germeny easily available is the best; thats the Nagano isn't it?

I saw it on Sky Arts once, really cool.

Offline yashin

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 07:05:24 PM »
I am bringing this one back as i am looking into this opera more.

I don't have any cd recordings-just the DVD from the Met with Jerusalem. I don't care for it much to be honest.

I have been looking into the DVD with Hampson, Ventris and Meier.  It looks good.

Also on Youtube i have seen Doris Soffel singing from the La Fenice production on DVD with Richard Decker as Parsifal and Matthias Holle and Wolfgang Schone.

I really like Soffel in this.  Unfortunately there is only one clip.  Anyone got this one?  How does it compare to the Nagano DVD?

I guess it will come down to what is available in the shop when i travel this weekend.

Haffner

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 02:10:29 AM »
I have the Horst Stein-conducted dvd and I think it's tremendous. But then, Parsifal is one of my three favorite operas. The only performance which gave me doubts on that cd was that of Kundry, the singer seemed to be straining both her voice and her acting abilities.

An exhilirating flower maiden scene, triumphant fall of Klingsor, a young heroic and top-of-his-game Siegfried Jerusalem playing Parsifal; I love this dvd and opera.