Reissued Operas at Arkivmusic.com

Started by Anne, September 27, 2007, 07:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anne

I believe their sale on operas ends with the end of September.

However, from their reissued opera section, I could not resist this:

Il Trovatore

Date: 04/10/2007
Label:  Decca   Catalog #: 000829702   Spars Code: ADD 
Composer:  Giuseppe Verdi
Performer:  Dame Joan Sutherland,  Norma Burrowes,  Graham Clark,  Peter Knapp,  Wynford Evans, 
Ingvar Wixell,  Marilyn HorneNicolai GhiaurovLuciano Pavarotti
Conductor:  Richard Bonynge
Orchestra/Ensemble:  National Philharmonic Orchestra London,  London Opera Chorus

Number of Discs: 2
Recorded in: Stereo
Length: 2 Hours 19 Mins.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Anne on September 27, 2007, 07:16:15 PM
I believe their sale on operas ends with the end of September.

However, from their reissued opera section, I could not resist this:

Il Trovatore

Date: 04/10/2007
Label:  Decca   Catalog #: 000829702   Spars Code: ADD 
Composer:  Giuseppe Verdi
Performer:  Dame Joan Sutherland,  Norma Burrowes,  Graham Clark,  Peter Knapp,  Wynford Evans, 
Ingvar Wixell,  Marilyn HorneNicolai GhiaurovLuciano Pavarotti
Conductor:  Richard Bonynge
Orchestra/Ensemble:  National Philharmonic Orchestra London,  London Opera Chorus

Number of Discs: 2
Recorded in: Stereo
Length: 2 Hours 19 Mins.

I wouldn't place it high on the list of reccomendable versions, though. In stereo Mehta (with Price, Cossotto, Domingo and Milnes) and Giulini (with Plowright, Fassbaender, Domingo and Zancanaro) are both superior; and the classic mono Karajan set (with Callas, Barbieri, Di Stefano and Panerai) remains one of the greatest of Verdi recordings. Karajan's conducting here (as so often in the 1950s) feels somehow just right for the piece, not shrinking from the occasional vulgarity in the score, but also bringing out its lyricism.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Que

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on September 29, 2007, 01:58:38 AM
I wouldn't place it high on the list of reccomendable versions, though. In stereo Mehta (with Price, Cossotto, Domingo and Milnes) and Giulini (with Plowright, Fassbaender, Domingo and Zancanaro) are both superior; and the classic mono Karajan set (with Callas, Barbieri, Di Stefano and Panerai) remains one of the greatest of Verdi recordings. Karajan's conducting here (as so often in the 1950s) feels somehow just right for the piece, not shrinking from the occasional vulgarity in the score, but also bringing out its lyricism.

I would add the one conducted by Cellini, with Björling, Milanov and Warren (RCA or Naxos).

Q

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: Que on September 29, 2007, 03:09:35 AM
I would add the one conducted by Cellini, with Björling, Milanov and Warren (RCA or Naxos).

Q

Agreed.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Anne

Thank you both for your suggestions and I will save them.  Sometimes though, it is not the final result that is the appeal but the singers who made the attempt.