Author Topic: Bach-Busoni Chaconne  (Read 342 times)

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
Bach-Busoni Chaconne
« on: December 19, 2019, 03:47:32 AM »
The Chaconne is one of the major works in the violin repertoire, but it also figures prominently in transcription for other instruments, notably the piano. Yet as far as I know, I do not have any recording of the famous Busoni piano transcription in my library. What are some of our favorite recordings of this work? I know there are famous recordings by Rubinstein, Michelangeli, etc.

Furthermore, what are some good recordings of the Bach-Brahms Chaconne, for the left hand alone? Another monstrously virtuosic work... I've seen a great video performance by Igor Levit, but that's it.

Offline Roasted Swan

Re: Bach-Busoni Chaconne
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 05:10:18 AM »
The Chaconne is one of the major works in the violin repertoire, but it also figures prominently in transcription for other instruments, notably the piano. Yet as far as I know, I do not have any recording of the famous Busoni piano transcription in my library. What are some of our favorite recordings of this work? I know there are famous recordings by Rubinstein, Michelangeli, etc.

Furthermore, what are some good recordings of the Bach-Brahms Chaconne, for the left hand alone? Another monstrously virtuosic work... I've seen a great video performance by Igor Levit, but that's it.

Ahhh - a work with which I have a minor obsession!  So many fine versions (there is also a transcription of the Busoni transcription for string quartet which has not been recorded as far as I know).  Versions of the piano original(!?) that I enjoy include; Thomas Labe (Dorian), Peter Rosel (Capriccio - one of my favourites), Maria Tipo, Artur Rubinstein, Alessio Bax (on Signum).  There's also a version by Shura Cherkassky at his 80th birthday recital.  He has no right to play this well at that age - perhaps the edge has gone from his supreme technical address but this is such a wise performance and one I find very moving. 

As a complete tangent I enjoy Robert Schumann's addition of a piano part top the violin original - played with huge commitment by Jean Jacques Kantorow and Gordon Back.   Quite probably if I was allowed only one piece of Bach I would choose the Chaconne.....
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 05:12:37 AM by Roasted Swan »

Online Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 10:26:20 AM »
There is a disc with Edna Stern playing Busoni, Brahms and another transcription by Rudolf Lutz, in addition you get the original played by Amandine Beyer. Tbh I am not the greatest fan of keyboard transcriptions of that piece (I prefer the c minor organ passacaglia for that).
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 10:27:51 AM »
Another vote for Cherkassky, I have this on CD and the 80th birthday is very good too

The birthday concert is here

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 12:55:14 PM »
Perhaps an unlikely candidate, but for me it's Arthur Rubinstein, hands down....  :)

I also like Edna Stern, great recording.

Q