The 1230 Carmina Burana (Not Orff)

Started by Mandryka, September 20, 2013, 09:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeus

"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Mandryka

I've been very impressed by Thomas Binkley's Landini recently, so I intend to revisit more of their recordings. I've been listening to the first CD of their Carmina Burana, which according to Discogs dates from 1964. It was their second recording, their first was made the year earlier, and was called Frühe Musik In England, Flandern, Deutschland Und Spanien. Does anyone have a transfer?

Anyway I like what I'm hearing not just for the singing style (which seems to me to be very laid back and modest) and the recording quality (which seems to me intimate, domestic living room sized.) I like most the way they use instruments. There's interesting instrumental sounds of course, sometimes exotic but I'm less put off  by that than I used to be. More importantly, there's a genuinely interesting level of instrumental polyphony supporting the sung music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 19, 2019, 12:09:34 PM

I've been very impressed by Thomas Binkley's Landini recently, so I intend to revisit more of their recordings. I've been listening to the first CD of their Carmina Burana, which according to Discogs dates from 1964. It was their second recording, their first was made the year earlier, and was called Frühe Musik In England, Flandern, Deutschland Und Spanien. Does anyone have a transfer?

Unfortunately I didn't purchase "Frühe Musik in England, Flandern et.c." along with the contemporary "Frühe Musik in Italien, Frankreich und Burgund" (I wasn't but a poor student). Some years later I found it at a public library, but the LP was in a rather bad condition. However I copied a few of the "songs" to tape (the ones which weren't too worn and scratched), and some years later I digitized them. I shall upload the ones, I have, to you.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

This seems very good to me, it's only just arrived, in fact I didn't know it existed until a couple of weeks ago. I haven't compared what he's doing with Marcel Pérès's recording.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on November 06, 2019, 08:39:01 PM

This seems very good to me, it's only just arrived, in fact I didn't know it existed until a couple of weeks ago. I haven't compared what he's doing with Marcel Pérès's recording.

Thanks for drawing attention to this recording, which I have ordered now.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

https://norbertrodenkirchen.bandcamp.com/album/carmina-burana-today

I missed this when it came out last year - sounds good to me, all star cast (Sabine Lustenberger)  A fresh perspective, much less raucous.