The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Bach Cello Suites

<< < (2/136) > >>

Valentino:
I must say you look young and handsome these days. Q!

DavidW:
Yeah I'm going to put that Beschi set on my short list, I guess the October orders along with the Haydn Masses and the Clementi Symphonies. :)

Dancing Divertimentian:
Just noticed you guys carried that Bach cello suites tangent from the WAYLT thread here. Here's my contribution copied from that thread:

--- Quote from: Que on September 13, 2007, 11:46:47 PM ---

--- End quote ---

This is a great one, Q. And speeds - they do the trick for me. In fact, other 'notables' from the past have tended to sound too slow to me.

Another favorite (perhaps tops) is Ophélie Gaillard on Ambroisie. Hers is a lyrical approach which plays up the flowing, rhythmic pulse of the music while giving ample room for the playful angularity of the writing to sound out.

George:

--- Quote from: donwyn on September 14, 2007, 04:35:19 PM ---
This is a great one, Q. And speeds - they do the trick for me. In fact, other 'notables' from the past have tended to sound too slow to me.

Another favorite (perhaps tops) is Ophélie Gaillard on Ambroisie. Hers is a lyrical approach which plays up the flowing, rhythmic pulse of the music while giving ample room for the playful angularity of the writing to sound out.

--- End quote ---

Just checked amazon for a price: http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Suites-Violoncello-senza-Basso/dp/B00008OTMQ/ref=sr_1_4/002-1502309-0092050?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1189820209&sr=8-4

:o :o :o

Que:

--- Quote from: donwyn on September 14, 2007, 04:35:19 PM ---Another favorite (perhaps tops) is Ophélie Gaillard on Ambroisie. Hers is a lyrical approach which plays up the flowing, rhythmic pulse of the music while giving ample room for the playful angularity of the writing to sound out.
--- End quote ---

Ah yes, she is a new rising star - didn't know she already did the Bach cello suites!
Thanks, donwyn, I'll check her out when the opportunity arises. Though I'm very satisfied with Bijlsma & Beschi.

EDIT: Just checked available online clips. My first impression is that this lovely lady is not for me. 8) Yes, I recognised why you said lyrical & flowing - but is much too fluid and smooth for me, with a "soft voice". I like more articulation (expression), and her take on rhythms doesn't feel "right" to me. It feels "off balance"/ not coherent enough for me - I personally like a player with a very firm grip on musical structure. To sum up: I'm missing some profundity.

Q

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version