Author Topic: Bach Cello Suites  (Read 162937 times)

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
Re: Bach Cello Suites
« Reply #720 on: May 10, 2022, 02:13:48 PM »
I’ve already referenced the practical: live performances are different to recordings.

Honestly, if orchestras started reassigning parts to different instruments we'd never hear the end of it. But for some reason when it comes to music for only 1 or 2 performers, people start acting as if the words at the front of the stave aren’t part of the score anymore.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #721 on: May 10, 2022, 02:52:49 PM »
As to the other point, a “modern cello” is still a cello. The clue is in how people kept the name as the instrument developed. But more generally, the question of replacing obsolete instruments with modern ones (while interesting) is quite a different question to replacing a cello with a lute. Bach knew what a lute was.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Online San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #722 on: May 10, 2022, 04:33:55 PM »
I’ve already referenced the practical: live performances are different to recordings.

A performance is a performance.  I must have missed how you arrived at this distinction, I came late to this thread.  But if you don't want to clarify it, that's probably better at this point.

Honestly, if orchestras started reassigning parts to different instruments we'd never hear the end of it. But for some reason when it comes to music for only 1 or 2 performers, people start acting as if the words at the front of the stave aren’t part of the score anymore.

Whatever the reason, the Bach cello suites have been performed in transcription often and over a long period of time.  I don't make a habit of railing against reality.  I simply choose to listen to these performances or ignore them - but I happen to enjoy some of them.

As to the other point, a “modern cello” is still a cello. The clue is in how people kept the name as the instrument developed. But more generally, the question of replacing obsolete instruments with modern ones (while interesting) is quite a different question to replacing a cello with a lute. Bach knew what a lute was.

Good.  At least your philosophical argument does have limits.   ;)    I did stipulate, "taken to the extreme."

Offline Yabetz

« Reply #723 on: May 14, 2022, 06:39:05 AM »
I don't have any objection in principle to transcriptions of the cello suites, since Bach himself was hardly averse to adapting his and other music to various instruments and combinations. However I've never heard a transcription of the suites that's very compelling at all. I find comparisons between "modern" and HIP performances (gut vs steel, Baroque vs modern) to be far more interesting and worthwhile.
Ma con BACH, comunque, tutto diventa facile per chi ha la fede.

-- a YouTube commenter

Offline Ras

« Reply #724 on: May 15, 2022, 08:02:15 AM »
I don't have any objection in principle to transcriptions of the cello suites, since Bach himself was hardly averse to adapting his and other music to various instruments and combinations. However I've never heard a transcription of the suites that's very compelling at all. I find comparisons between "modern" and HIP performances (gut vs steel, Baroque vs modern) to be far more interesting and worthwhile.

I like Rachel Podger's arrangement for solo violin of Bach's Cello Suites.

"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen