Bach Cello Suites

Started by Que, September 14, 2007, 07:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Dave

Yes, it's a nice addition to my Casal and Schiff. Must listen to it more.

Grazioso

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 21, 2010, 05:46:27 AM

Well, I am lucky, and no mistake:  BRO has the Queyras back in stock.

And, yes, I done pulled the trigger.

I started listening to his traversal recently, and man is it wonderful! I think I may have a new favorite. Nice that the set comes with a bonus DVD, too.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Peregrine

For those interested, someone has posted a recent live performance of Queyras playing all of the Bach Cello Suites over at symphonyshare:

http://bit.ly/cTvoAO
Yes, we have no bananas

Maciek

You can also listen to Queyras' Bach on France Musique (for another 2 weeks, roughly) here (click on the headphones icon). With a few cantatas tucked in between.

james66

Jaap ter Linden has recorded the Cello Suites twice, first for Harmonia Mundi and then Brilliant Classics. Which would be the better recording to acquire?

Bulldog

Quote from: james66 on May 18, 2010, 01:15:57 AM
Jaap ter Linden has recorded the Cello Suites twice, first for Harmonia Mundi and then Brilliant Classics. Which would be the better recording to acquire?

Very interesting.  I assumed that the set on Brilliant was the same as on Harmonia Mundi; I was way off on that one.  Will have to check it out - thanks for the heads-up.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: james66 on May 18, 2010, 01:15:57 AM

I have both of them and Brilliant Classics is clearly prefereable for sound quality reasons. The HM version is beautiful, but notoriously damaged for its over-reverberant sound.

james66

Your welcome, Don. I believe you gave a favourable review of the first set, look forward to reading your views on the second.

Antoine, after trying samples from jpc and amazon, I readily agree with you about the sound quality of both recordings. How do you find interpretation though? Are they similar or are there marked differences? From what I heard, they seem quite similar, introspective and almost meditative. But even from the samples the cello on the Brilliant Classics recording sounds absolutely gorgeous.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: james66 on May 18, 2010, 07:01:31 PM
Antoine, after trying samples from jpc and amazon, I readily agree with you about the sound quality of both recordings. How do you find interpretation though? Are they similar or are there marked differences? From what I heard, they seem quite similar, introspective and almost meditative. But even from the samples the cello on the Brilliant Classics recording sounds absolutely gorgeous.

IMO you are totally right, James.

Both interpretations are quite similar, but the sound quality is a decisive aspect in favour of the Brilliant set. Besides, the 1703 Giovanni Grancino used there sounds gorgeous (different cellos are used in the HM set).

Jaap ter Linden is generally a sober, meditative artist and his performances in these works are full of what I would call certain beautiful autumnal spirit.  :)   

james66

Thanks, Antoine, will be getting Linden's Brilliant Classics recording. So far, I have three sets (all on modern cellos), Ralph Kirshbaum (beautiful singing interpretation, although occasionaly a bit romanitized), Paul Tortelier (1961, which I find more spontaneous and enjoyable than his 1983 recording) and Heinrich Schiff (sprightly and vigorous in nature). The next sets will hopefully feature baroque cellos, and besides Linden, I also have my eye on Paolo Beschi, Ophelie Gaillard and Bruno Cocset.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: james66 on May 19, 2010, 06:34:33 PM
The next sets will hopefully feature baroque cellos, and besides Linden, I also have my eye on Paolo Beschi, Ophelie Gaillard and Bruno Cocset.

... and currently the violoncello da spalla is also an option on period instruments:

Que

And there is an option on viola da gamba. :)

Though your eye on Beschi, Gaillard and Cocset seem to be right on target IMO. :)

Q

karlhenning

Even though I had pulled the trigger on the Queyras as soon as BRO had notified me they had it back in . . . they were out of it when time came to prepare my shipment.

Who knows? They may get it back in next month.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Que on May 19, 2010, 10:43:49 PM

Yes, but that is a transcription for viola da gamba.

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on May 19, 2010, 10:43:49 PM

Though your eye on Beschi, Gaillard and Cocset seem to be right on target IMO. :)

Q

I have this twofer and thought the performance was quite refreshing on my first and only listen.  I will have to find time to relisten.  How do you like this set, Q?

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 20, 2010, 04:03:37 AM
Even though I had pulled the trigger on the Queyras as soon as BRO had notified me they had it back in . . . they were out of it when time came to prepare my shipment.

Who knows? They may get it back in next month.

You do know you can get it any time you want for less than 13 quid at MDT?

karlhenning

Thanks for the suggestion!

Scarpia

karlhenning

Well, my curiosity for the Queyras set easily extends to the $12 that BRO listed it at.  I don't think it quite runs to £13 plus shipping.

Josquin des Prez

Sometimes the boring choices are the best: