Bach Cello Suites

Started by Que, September 14, 2007, 07:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: bumtz on December 28, 2011, 02:18:23 PM
I enjoy a lot Maurice Gendron's 1964 recordings on Philips. Light and elegant.

[asin]B00000419C[/asin]

One of my faves in the non-HIP league. Very good sound quality, too.

Leo K.

Quote from: Marc on January 03, 2012, 11:07:37 AM
One of my faves in the non-HIP league. Very good sound quality, too.

I agree wholeheartedly.

;D

PaulSC

A new recording of the Suites played by Richard Tunnicliffe, probably best known as principal cellist of the Avison Ensemble, is due out in mid-March on Linn Records. The previews sound enticing to me...

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-j-s--bach-cello-suites.aspx

http://amzn.com/B0072X056C

Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

Leo K.

Incredible! After the playing the first disk (first time) I am hooked.

8)

jlaurson

Quote from: Leo K on February 25, 2012, 10:46:54 AM

Incredible! After the playing the first disk (first time) I am hooked.

8)

Ah!  :) Welcome to the mother of Cello Suites.

Can't say it's the best, but it certainly is the one that has done most to form my tastes and it's the one I inevitably compare others to. Musicality, patrician... gorgeous. And great sound for its time.

Kontrapunctus

For those who like no-nonsense, straightforward interpretations, I can recommend Martin Ostertag, particularly if you want an SACD version. He is much less mannered than Gavriel Lipkind, but at times I prefer the latter's more dramatic readings.  I suppose the covers might symbolize their differing approaches!

DieNacht

Got the melodiya 3LP Bach suites with Daniel Shafran yesterday (price 0,8 Euro  8)).

Heard the 1st Suite but was disappointed - very slow and dignified tempi, which can be all-right, but not any feeling of tension, build-up or relief through livelier moods. Any pros as regards his recording ?

Scion7

I have Truls Mork on CD, but I always seem to come back to:

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

prémont

Quote from: DieNacht on February 27, 2012, 02:12:32 AM
Got the melodiya 3LP Bach suites with Daniel Shafran yesterday (price 0,8 Euro  8)).

Heard the 1st Suite but was disappointed - very slow and dignified tempi, which can be all-right, but not any feeling of tension, build-up or relief through livelier moods. Any pros as regards his recording ?

I only know a live recording by him of the suites 1,2,3,4 & 5 IIRC. I was disappointed by his slow and laboured playing and his unashamed romantic style and lack of formal awareness.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on February 26, 2012, 07:43:23 AM
For those who like no-nonsense, straightforward interpretations, I can recommend Martin Ostertag, particularly if you want an SACD version. He is much less mannered than Gavriel Lipkind, but at times I prefer the latter's more dramatic readings.  I suppose the covers might symbolize their differing approaches!

I feel like needing another set of the cello suites, and now that Lipkind´s recording has been rereleased and is affordable, I think I will acquire it just for the interest, even if I may not like it. I would rather acquire Mørk´s recording and Ma´s first recording which Scon7 mentiones above or even Ostertag´s recording, but that would be silly, as I own them already.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mahler10th

I bought this on offer for only £3 about three years ago.

It is quite bold, the Cello is weighted, deep and resonant playing.  Does anyone have any thoughts on it?

PaulSC

Quote from: PaulSC on January 31, 2012, 12:06:40 PM
A new recording of the Suites played by Richard Tunnicliffe, probably best known as principal cellist of the Avison Ensemble, is due out in mid-March on Linn Records. The previews sound enticing to me...

Previews notwithstanding, this has turned out to be a bit of a disappointment — not bad, but unremarkable. The performances seem careful and a bit uninvolved. RT takes all of the repeats, nearly always without any ornamentation or other appropriate variation, although the repeats of the D major Sarabande take the form of elaborate "doubles." The five-string cello piccolo on which this six suite is performed has an unusually thin (but not unpleasant) voice.

All in all, this doesn't add much for those who have already accumulated multiple recordings of the suites, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a first purchase for this repertoire.

Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

Karl Henning

Thanks for the word, Paul
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

prémont

Quote from: PaulSC on April 08, 2012, 02:33:19 PM
Previews notwithstanding, this has turned out to be a bit of a disappointment — not bad, but unremarkable. The performances seem careful and a bit uninvolved. RT takes all of the repeats, nearly always without any ornamentation or other appropriate variation, although the repeats of the D major Sarabande take the form of elaborate "doubles." The five-string cello piccolo on which this six suite is performed has an unusually thin (but not unpleasant) voice.

All in all, this doesn't add much for those who have already accumulated multiple recordings of the suites, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a first purchase for this repertoire.

Thanks for the warning. Maybe I can play down my completistic tendencies. Actually I regretted the purchase of another recent Linn recording (Pavlo Beznosiuk´s Bach sonatas and partitas), so who knows?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: (: premont :) on April 09, 2012, 02:20:03 PM
Actually I regretted the purchase of another recent Linn recording (Pavlo Beznosiuk´s Bach sonatas and partitas), so who knows?

I made the same mistake! I'd like to think that violinists back in the day played with a bit more feeling than Pavlo does!

Brian

I'm a big fan of the suites as played on viola, and noticed this new release:

Based on two or three minutes of listening before I head off to grab lunch, Antoine Tamestit's sonority is lighter and sprightlier than Maxim Rysanov's on BIS. Track timings are similar, but Tamestit is playing a Stradivarius viola with a baroque bow (or rather, a modern replica), which explains the fuller-bodied and consequently more romantic sound from Rysanov. Both rank among our best violists. I look forward to hearing more of the album.

aukhawk

Looks interesting.
I'm new to this thread but I have the McCarty set on viola and it's one of my 2 or 3 favourites for the Cello Suites.

My 'safe' recommendable set would be Mork.
If I could only have one set it would probably be Zelenka - very good recording, vivacious playing.
However the one I usually turn to is Angela East - definitely wayward not to say weird - but never dull.

Que

Has anyone heard Wispelwey's third take yet? :)

[asin]B008TUDI2A[/asin]

Q

Sammy

Quote from: aukhawk on November 26, 2012, 03:29:38 PM
Looks interesting.
I'm new to this thread but I have the McCarty set on viola and it's one of my 2 or 3 favourites for the Cello Suites.

I wasn't aware that anyone else had the McCarty viola set.  If I remember right, it's on a label named Ashmont; whether it's still in print I don't know.  Anyways, it is a romantically inclined set that's very fine.  The only other viola set I have is from Barbara Westphal on the Bridge label; also very fine and with more "edge" than McCarty's version.

aukhawk

Quote from: Sammy on November 26, 2012, 09:47:28 PM
... the McCarty viola set.  If I remember right, it's on a label named Ashmont; whether it's still in print I don't know. 

"Currently unavailable" at Amazon UK but they do still offer it as downloads.  I got a used CD when it popped up there.  The 2nd suite is particularly good I think.  As you suggest, creamy-smooth and a complete contrast to the 'wrestling with a bear' approach typified by Angela East.  I like both.