Bach Cello Suites

Started by Que, September 14, 2007, 07:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liuzerus87

Quote from: Brian on November 26, 2012, 09:37:59 AM
I'm a big fan of the suites as played on viola, and noticed this new release:

Based on two or three minutes of listening before I head off to grab lunch, Antoine Tamestit's sonority is lighter and sprightlier than Maxim Rysanov's on BIS. Track timings are similar, but Tamestit is playing a Stradivarius viola with a baroque bow (or rather, a modern replica), which explains the fuller-bodied and consequently more romantic sound from Rysanov. Both rank among our best violists. I look forward to hearing more of the album.

If you like the suites played on viola, have you heard Lillian Fuchs? Definitely old-school interpretation, committed and musical. My second favorite set of the suites after Casals (on cello of course!)

[asin]B00079W8PY[/asin]

George

Quote from: Que on November 26, 2012, 09:34:54 PM
Has anyone heard Wispelwey's third take yet? :)

I haven't, but I love his second one so much, I won't likely bother.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

Thanks for that recommendation, liuzerus. I'll absolutely find that recording if I can: I haven't heard Lillian Fuchs play, but I've heard her compositions on Naxos and found them most enjoyable.

Sammy

Quote from: George on November 27, 2012, 04:14:07 AM
I haven't, but I love his second one so much, I won't likely bother.

I also won't likely bother with Wispelwey's  third take because my reaction to his second one was unfavorable. 

Wakefield

Quote from: Sammy on November 27, 2012, 09:25:12 AM
I also won't likely bother with Wispelwey's  third take because my reaction to his second one was unfavorable.

Do you like his first recording? It's quite more "Baroque" than the second one.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Sammy

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on November 27, 2012, 09:47:18 AM
Do you like his first recording? It's quite more "Baroque" than the second one.

I never heard Wispelwey's first version.  Is it more assertive than his second.  Frankly, I found the second version quite subdued and irritating.

Wakefield

Quote from: Sammy on November 27, 2012, 02:13:20 PM
I never heard Wispelwey's first version.  Is it more assertive than his second.

Yes, it is and better articulated, too.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

milk

I'm not sure I'm in the right thread for this, but I believe these are new. I only found the image for the second CD. These are the cello suites.

Karl Henning

As right a thread as any.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

milk

Quote from: karlhenning on February 10, 2013, 07:37:33 AM
As right a thread as any.
Thanks! I often have the feeling that I'm in the wrong place.

jlaurson

Quote from: milk on February 10, 2013, 07:23:23 AM
I'm not sure I'm in the right thread for this, but I believe these are new. I only found the image for the second CD. These are the cello suites.

Really? Could well be, of course... but it might be worth checking if they aren't just re-releases of his earlier set on the same label.

So they are... huh. Interesting labeling job on their part... one might almost be confused.
Well... here are the previous Luth releases anyway, now that I've typed them up...

J.S. Bach
Sonatas & Partitas BWV 1001-1006
Hopkinson Smith

naïve

German link - UK link

J.S. Bach
Works for Luth
BWV 995 - 1000
+ BWV 1006a
Hopkinson Smith

naïve

German link - UK link

J.S. Bach
Works for Luth
BWV 995 - 1000
+ BWV 1006a
Hopkinson Smith

naïve

German link - UK link

J.S. Bach
Suites BWV 1007 - 1009
Hopkinson Smith

naïve

German link - UK link

Wakefield

Great news, milk!

It's curious: Naïve will release both discs at the same date, but separately, not as a 2-CD set.

The different concept of the artwork, it's also eye-catching.
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: jlaurson on February 10, 2013, 08:16:00 AM
Really? Could well be, of course... but it might be worth checking if they aren't just re-releases of his earlier set on the same label.

So they are... huh. Interesting labeling job on their part... one might almost be confused.
Well... here are the previous Luth releases anyway, now that I've typed them up...

J.S. Bach
Hopkinson Smith

naïve

German link - UK link

J.S. Bach
Hopkinson Smith

naïve

German link - UK link

J.S. Bach
Hopkinson Smith

naïve

German link - UK link

J.S. Bach
Sonatas & Partitas BWV 1001-1003
Hopkinson Smith

naïve

German link - UK link

I think just the first set listed by you contains the integral transcriptions of the violin sonatas & partitas.
-- Voltaire

Mandryka

Anner Bylsma wrote a book on the cello suites called Bach, the Fencing Master. You can buy it from his website and I'd like to read it because I've become pretty fascinated by his first recording. But it's quite pricey.

Has anyone read it? Was it interesting for someone who's never actually going to play the music himeself? It's about whether Bach's music is sensual and beautiful or not, isn't it? That sounds very interesting. Is it in English? Is there a way I can see it without paying so much money?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on February 10, 2013, 09:57:44 AM
Great news, milk!

It's curious: Naïve will release both discs at the same date, but separately, not as a 2-CD set.

I have acquired this. It is a rerelease of recordings from 1981 and 1992.

I have never been a devoted lute-lover, and maybe it is me, but these recordings made me almost fall asleep.
Thinking about it: Nor was I that happy with his recorded transcription of the S & P´s.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on May 23, 2013, 10:49:14 AM
Anner Bylsma wrote a book on the cello suites called Bach, the Fencing Master. You can buy it from his website and I'd like to read it because I've become pretty fascinated by his first recording. But it's quite pricey.

Have not read it. Much too expensive, and I would even have to pay at least 25 Euro´s in tax et.c.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pat B

Quote from: Mandryka on May 23, 2013, 10:49:14 AM

Has anyone read it? Was it interesting for someone who's never actually going to play the music himeself? It's about whether Bach's music is sensual and beautiful or not, isn't it? That sounds very interesting. Is it in English? Is there a way I can see it without paying so much money?

I had similar questions but went ahead and bought it a couple months ago. I haven't read through it yet but my initial impression was that it is really targeted towards performers (e.g. discussions of bowing). Sometime in the next few days I'll take another look while listening.

Have you read this interview?

ETA: feel free to give me a gentle reminder if I forget to follow up. :)

Marc

Quote from: Pat B on May 23, 2013, 01:16:21 PM
I had similar questions but went ahead and bought it a couple months ago. I haven't read through it yet but my initial impression was that it is really targeted towards performers (e.g. discussions of bowing). Sometime in the next few days I'll take another look while listening.

Have you read this interview?

ETA: feel free to give me a gentle reminder if I forget to follow up. :)

True. But it's also interesting for Bach lovers.
I once saw a (dutch) documentary on (dutch) telly (in the late 90s) about Bylsma and his book.
In this Bylsma is defending the phrasing signs, slurs, dots et al in the Anna Magdalena manuscript. They were always neglected, because they 'felt' completely wrong. He decided to try to play the suites in Magdalena's manner and was convinced they were completely right. And yes, most modern people would not find that 'beautiful', but in his view baroque definitions of 'beauty' might be different. I recall him being asked "what would your friend Slava [Rostropovitch] think of your book?" and he smiled and said "Slava would think 'Anner has gone mad'" (or someting like that).

Mind you: Bylsma has never recorded the suites in the Magdalena matter, though.

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 23, 2013, 01:06:27 PM
I have acquired this. It is a rerelease of recordings from 1981 and 1992.

I have never been a devoted lute-lover, and maybe it is me, but these recordings made me almost fall asleep.
Thinking about it: Nor was I that happy with his recorded transcription of the S & P´s.

I think that Nigel North's set with transcriptions of the solo violin & cello pieces is very successful:

[asin]B000S0GZR4[/asin]

Q