Bach Cello Suites

Started by Que, September 14, 2007, 07:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Marc on May 23, 2013, 07:58:43 PM
True. But it's also interesting for Bach lovers.
I once saw a (dutch) documentary on (dutch) telly (in the late 90s) about Bylsma and his book.
In this Bylsma is defending the phrasing signs, slurs, dots et al in the Anna Magdalena manuscript. They were always neglected, because they 'felt' completely wrong. He decided to try to play the suites in Magdalena's manner and was convinced they were completely right. And yes, most modern people would not find that 'beautiful', but in his view baroque definitions of 'beauty' might be different. I recall him being asked "what would your friend Slava [Rostropovitch] think of your book?" and he smiled and said "Slava would think 'Anner has gone mad'" (or someting like that).

Mind you: Bylsma has never recorded the suites in the Magdalena matter, though.

Thanks Marc, that's really interesting.

Are there any records of the suites with the Magdalena phrasing?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Que on May 23, 2013, 10:10:22 PM
I think that Nigel North's set with transcriptions of the solo violin & cello pieces is very successful:

[asin]B000S0GZR4[/asin]

Q

Yes, I much prefer him.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on May 23, 2013, 11:02:08 PM
Thanks Marc, that's really interesting.

Are there any records of the suites with the Magalena phrasing?

Not as far as I know. Many performers mention the Anna Magdalena manuscript in their comments in the booklet, but in the end they construct their own version based upon all existing manuscripts.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Wakefield

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 23, 2013, 01:06:27 PM
I have acquired this. It is a rerelease of recordings from 1981 and 1992.
Incredible! JPC, usually very accurate in this kind of information, indicates 2012 as date of production.

I consider that Hopkinson Smith is a true master, but maybe I need a new listen one of these days.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Pat B

Quote from: Marc on May 23, 2013, 07:58:43 PM
I recall him being asked "what would your friend Slava [Rostropovitch] think of your book?" and he smiled and said "Slava would think 'Anner has gone mad'" (or someting like that).

Mind you: Bylsma has never recorded the suites in the Magdalena matter, though.

Interesting indeed. The interview I linked gave me the impression he used Magdalena in '92 -- but now that you mention it, I notice the interview was several years later. Regardless, I chose his '79 over his '92 based on tone.

As for Rostropovich -- this has probably already been discussed but I haven't read the whole thread -- I bought his EMI set when it came out. That, more than any other recording, cost Penguin Guide a lot of credibility with me.

Mandryka

Yes, that interview is pretty frank and probing. And some of what he says about authenticity is kind of what I've been starting  to think myself. I was interested in what he says about counterpoint and phrasing, I just wish he would have fleshed it out a bit more.

I must say it is extremely irritating not to be able to hear him play these suites in the Magdalena style, given that he's so passionate about it all.

Mandryka

Quote from: aukhawk on November 26, 2012, 03:29:38 PM
Looks interesting.
I'm new to this thread but I have the McCarty set on viola and it's one of my 2 or 3 favourites for the Cello Suites.

My 'safe' recommendable set would be Mork.
If I could only have one set it would probably be Zelenka - very good recording, vivacious playing.
However the one I usually turn to is Angela East - definitely wayward not to say weird - but never dull.

Well, Angela East's recording is very interesting I think. She uses the Magdalena Phrasing that Bylsma loves so much, but hasn't recorded. And what do we find? Short speech like cells. It's quite extraordinary.

Marc

Quote from: aukhawk on November 26, 2012, 03:29:38 PM
[....]
However the one I usually turn to is Angela East - definitely wayward not to say weird - but never dull.

Quote from: Mandryka on June 06, 2013, 12:23:42 AM
Well, Angela East's recording is very interesting I think. She uses the Magdalena Phrasing that Bylsma loves so much, but hasn't recorded. And what do we find? Short speech like cells. It's quite extraordinary.

Thanks both.
I ordered East (a 'safe' one at the library) and I'm looking (listening ;)) forward to it.

aukhawk

'Interesting' is certainly a good word for the Angela East renditions.  Great stuff, at what I think of as the 'wrestling with a bear' end of the interpretive spectrum - I dunno what the sleeve picture is all about though  :-\

I recently got the latest Wispelwey recording (I haven't heard his earlier ones) and that has become a new favourite - often a very intimate, introspective sound, just brushing the strings so lightly.

I'm surprised not to see any mention here (or in the violin Partitas thread) of Vito Paternoster.   According to Wikipedia
"Paternoster is the first cellist to record the complete Bach Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Cello (orig. violin), after locating an anonymous transcription, from Bach's time, next to Bach's own manuscript of the violin masterpieces."
This recording of the Sonatas and Partitas can be downloaded for free as low-ish quality mp3 from Magnatune.com or you can subscribe to get high quality and ad-free downloads.  [edited to add - also available from Amazon.]  I've only got the free version (each movement is interspersed with 'nag' ads which can be edited out) but even so it's a pretty good listen, especially the faster movements where the roughness of the mp3 is not too evident.  The cellist is obviously stretching his technique to the limit in these pieces and the famous Chaconne played on cello rolls along like a thunderstorm.
(NB Bylsma has also recorded two of these - Sonata 2 and Partita 3)

Mandryka

I too have been dipping into the latest Wispelwey. Though it's years since I listened I remember enjoying those Vito Paternoster performances too.

My main interest in this music right now is to do with counterpoint. Ii'm looking for a recording where there's a real sense of interaction and tension between the voices. I've been listening a lot to Guido Schieffen's and Marc Coppey's. I've also been enjoying Caussé's, for other reasons.

George

Quote from: aukhawk on June 07, 2013, 02:28:12 AM
I recently got the latest Wispelwey recording (I haven't heard his earlier ones) and that has become a new favourite - often a very intimate, introspective sound, just brushing the strings so lightly.

Has anyone heard Wispelwey's newest and his 1998 (second) recording? I'd love to read a bit about how they compare. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Octave

Just a bump because I'm interested in George's Wispelwey question (immediately above), in case anyone has a perspective.  I only know the 1998 recording.

Also, it seems that the upcoming Anner Bylsma "Plays Cello Suites and Sonatas" set from Sony will include two (=both?) recordings of the suites ["Suiten BWV 1007-1012 für Cello solo (2 Einspielungen)"], so I am assuming those are the 1979 and 1992 sets.  Just an FYI esp. for those who have neither.

Brief contents from JPC:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Anner-Bylsma-plays-Cello-Suites-and-Sonatas/hnum/3787274
ASIN: B00GH1X1AM  (listed at UK but not USA)

Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

jlaurson

Quote from: Pat B on May 24, 2013, 08:35:45 AM

As for Rostropovich -- this has probably already been discussed but I haven't read the whole thread -- I bought his EMI set when it came out. That, more than any other recording, cost Penguin Guide a lot of credibility with me.

;D

What a beastly dud in his discography, indeed. Too reverent (or whatever else the problem was) and a complete bore.

prémont

Quote from: jlaurson on December 13, 2013, 08:44:22 AM
;D

What a beastly dud in his discography, indeed. Too reverent (or whatever else the problem was) and a complete bore.

I completely agree with this, but has anyone heard the live recording he made in 1955?

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Supraphon/SU40442
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

George

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 13, 2013, 08:56:09 AM
I completely agree with this, but has anyone heard the live recording he made in 1955?

I haven't but I have heard his studio recordings of the second and fifth suite from a year later:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/release/rostropovich-plays-bach-mr0002074434
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 13, 2013, 08:56:09 AM

Yes I have. There's a religious spiritual feeling, he milks the music for every last drop of sentiment.

prémont

Quote from: George on December 13, 2013, 09:18:48 AM
I haven't but I have heard his studio recordings of the second and fifth suite from a year later:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/release/rostropovich-plays-bach-mr0002074434

Thanke George, his playing reeks of sentimentality I am afraid.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Karl Henning

Hm, that verb reeks isn't exactly . . . disinterested, is it?   ;D    0:)    8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on December 13, 2013, 09:34:03 AM
,,he milks the music for every last drop of sentiment.

Well, his Bach never was my cup of tea.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: karlhenning on December 13, 2013, 10:44:54 AM
Hm, that verb reeks isn't exactly . . . disinterested, is it?   ;D    0:)    8)

Maybe I should have written sucks or stinks?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν