Bach Cello Suites

Started by Que, September 14, 2007, 07:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 13, 2013, 10:53:15 AM
Maybe I should have written sucks or stinks?
Reeks and stinks are for bad smells. Reeks, for me, is just for very strong, very bad smells. Sucks is american (teenager?) slang meaning "is rubbish"  -- not really British English. Using the verb to suck, you can't say "it sucks of sentimentality" or "it sucks sentimentality" as far as I know, certainly not in British English.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on December 13, 2013, 11:05:24 AM
Reeks and stinks are for bad smells. Reeks, for me, is just for very strong, very bad smells. Sucks is american (teenager?) slang meaning "is rubbish"  -- not really British English. Using the verb to suck, you can't say "it sucks of sentimentality" or "it sucks sentimentality" as far as I know, certainly not in British English.

Thanks for the explanation Mandryka. It seems as if "reeks" was what I meant (the bad smell of sentimentality).
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

xochitl

i was wondering, which cellists have the fastest preludes and gigues? ive been spending months going thru a bunch of recordings but somehow [esp. the preludes] feel more natural to me the faster theyre played

ive heard:
casals
bailey
yo-yo ma [both]
slava
wang
starker I
wispelwey III
kuijken
badiarov
thedeen
zeuthen
angela east
cocset
ostertag
zelenka
mork
schiff
bylsma [both]
fournier
queyras
harnoncourt
kirshbaum

any others i should know about?

North Star

Quote from: xochitl on January 23, 2014, 11:01:34 PM
i was wondering, which cellists have the fastest preludes and gigues? ive been spending months going thru a bunch of recordings but somehow [esp. the preludes] feel more natural to me the faster theyre played

any others i should know about?
Paolo Beschi!
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

xochitl

:o thank you! fastest preludes in the west!  :o

now i can really dance to my bach

Brahmsian

Any recommendations for the darkest, deepest recording of Bach's Cello Suite No. 5 Sarabande movement, specifically?

Other than Casals (not interested) or Gendron (have already and love).

Merci!  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 30, 2014, 11:27:02 AM
Any recommendations for the darkest, deepest recording of Bach's Cello Suite No. 5 Sarabande movement, specifically?

And, I'm open to 'period instrument' suggestions too (viola da gamba, or whatever the hell you call it)  :D

North Star

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 30, 2014, 11:32:54 AM
And, I'm open to 'period instrument' suggestions too (viola da gamba, or whatever the hell you call it)  :D
Viola da Gamba is a totally different instrument of course. :)

Bruno Cocset's PI cello recording is a good one for sure although it's a while since I've heard it.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

Check Janos Starker on the Mercury Living Presence recording. I think the whole 5th suite there is particularly special.

jlaurson

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 30, 2014, 11:32:54 AM

like the viola pomposa?? http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/10/bach-suites-shouldered.html

aukhawk

Kniazev does dark and deep to excess. His is the slowest 5/Sarabande of 20-odd versions that I have.  Lipkind is a bit less extreme and a much safer recommendation overall I think. 
East lies in between these two for duration (in the Suite 5 Sarabande specifically) but I wouldn't call it 'dark', and she is generally quirky.  In a good way.  The recorded tone of Pandolfo's viola da gamba is just wonderful, unearthly in this and all the suites.

prémont

Quote from: aukhawk on July 01, 2014, 02:09:44 AM
Kniazev does dark and deep to excess. His is the slowest 5/Sarabande of 20-odd versions that I have.  Lipkind is a bit less extreme and a much safer recommendation overall I think. 
East lies in between these two for duration (in the Suite 5 Sarabande specifically) but I wouldn't call it 'dark', and she is generally quirky.  In a good way.  The recorded tone of Pandolfo's viola da gamba is just wonderful, unearthly in this and all the suites.

Agree about Kniazev.

Lipkind however is often rather idiosyncratic elsewhere, and is not at all a safe general rcommendation.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

aukhawk

True - I agree - not a 'safe' recommendation - just 'safer', and leaning in the same general direction as Kniazev.

My idea of 'safe' would probably start with Mork.  His recordings re-ignited my interest in these Suites and led me to explore a lot of diverse approaches and I don't regret a minute of it.  I haven't listened to them since of course!

Moonfish

I very much enjoy Daniel Shafran in Bach's Cello Suites. He has a tendency to dwell on the dark spots in the 5th. Perhaps it is the "darkness" you are looking for? It is in the Russian Legends/Historical release from Brilliant.

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

amw

I've heard the suites live many times, including two different occasions on which all six were played (Martin Rummel on a modern cello, Carter Brey on a baroque one), but I only seem to have one recording of them, by Ophélie Gaillard on Ambroisie. I quite like it, and am not particularly tempted to seek out another one, but I am sort of curious if I'm missing anything. Damn these threads.

(not an answer to ChamberNut's question, though 5 is my favourite of the six; there's very little angst in Ophélie's interpretations that I've been able to locate)

Mandryka

To return to the sarbande from the fifth, apart from Janos Starker I would say Badiarov is very moving in that movement, and so is Ralph Kirschbaum - Kirschbaum is my favourite at a slow tempo.

Sammy

For the Sarabande from the 5th Suite, I tend to favor Rostropovich.  I'm not a big fan of his Bach because of his exaggerated romanticism.  However, he reins it in for the Sarabande and delivers a very profound and tense reading. 

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: amw on July 01, 2014, 02:52:36 AM
I've heard the suites live many times, including two different occasions on which all six were played (Martin Rummel on a modern cello, Carter Brey on a baroque one), but I only seem to have one recording of them, by Ophélie Gaillard on Ambroisie. I quite like it, and am not particularly tempted to seek out another one, but I am sort of curious if I'm missing anything.

I have Gaillard's recording on Ambroise, too. It's extremely fine. Another one I have is Beschi. The two couldn't be more different. Beschi has a husky tone and he really digs into his instrument. In contrast Gaillard is much more fluid, with a bounce to her approach reminiscent of the dance.

Neither has a leg up over the other but they certainly aren't the same. I like having both but could probably do just as well with Gaillard's alone (or the converse).

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Brahmsian

Many thanks to all of you for those recommendations.  You've given me a lot to consider!  :)

aukhawk

Just to say I'm really enjoying this set by Isang Enders.
Technically well on top of his craft, stabby staccato bowing, and to my ears somewhat close to Lipkind, but without any of his rather alarming excesses.
[edited to add - I forgot what I really wanted to say - a continuous light 'breathing' rubato - like a Chopin piano performance (though not so marked as that obviously)

Close and unusually dry recording, but without fingerboard (East) or heavy breathing (Zelenka).
Right up there with my current favourites, which include Beschi, Queyras and East.

[asin]B00MC657YO[/asin]