Bach Cello Suites

Started by Que, September 14, 2007, 07:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Mark on October 05, 2007, 03:23:37 PM
Baroque Cello? Isn't that the one with just five strings? If so, doesn't only the Fifth Cello Suite call for such an instrument?

I could be being completely ignorant here, so please, spare me a flaying. ;D

He plays a period instrument. Beyond that, I know nothing. You won't get any flaying from me, buddy.  :)

Mark

Quote from: George on October 05, 2007, 03:33:12 PM
He plays a period instrument. Beyond that, I know nothing. You won't get any flaying from me, buddy.  :)

Just checked ... and I'm wrong. It's alleged that the Sixth Suite was the one that Bach said should be played on a five-string cello. Whether that's a Baroque Cello, I know not. ???

marvinbrown

Mark, this is the only recording that I have of these fine works and I just love these performances:

marvin

Mark

Quote from: marvinbrown on October 05, 2007, 04:18:52 PM

Mark, this is the only recording that I have of these fine works and I just love these performances:

marvin

I have this, too, along with Kliegel's Naxos set, the Starker I've praised already and Meneses on Avie. I think Isserlis might be an interesting one to try out. Rudin's approach is interesting, a little dark in places for me, and perhaps he eases off the gas at times when I feel I want more oomph. :) Starker (and his pupil, Kliegel) give a little more of themselves, it seems, as though adding that extra ounce of expression. I rather like this, especially in the First and Second Suites.

dtwilbanks

Not my go-to music, but I think I prefer Casals to Rostropovich and Starker, though Starker ain't bad.

Mark

Not that I'm in a rush to get it, but does anyone have Starker on CD?

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Mark on October 05, 2007, 04:53:45 PM

Used to.  ;D

Mark

Dancing Divertimentian

For some quality Cello Suites banter, check this out...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Bonehelm

Mark

Que

Quote from: Mark on October 06, 2007, 01:27:08 AM
Okay, okay, Que. No need to rub it in. ::)

;D

Oh, but I rather enjoyed that... ;)  ;D

BTW these Starker/Bach posts might interest you: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,20.msg47134.html#msg47134.

Q

marvinbrown

Quote from: Mark on October 05, 2007, 04:51:10 PM

Rudin's approach is interesting, a little dark in places for me,

thats why I like it so much  :)

marvin

Harry Collier

Quote from: Mark on October 05, 2007, 04:53:45 PM

Yes. The 1957 recordings were issued by EMI in France in a boxed set at a ridiculous (cheap) price, coupled with the Johanna Marzty violin sonatas and partitas.

But, in the Bach cello works, I am a Casals man. One of the very few "no doubts or hesitation" recordings I posses.

Grazioso

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

FideLeo

Quote from: Grazioso on October 06, 2007, 03:59:44 AM
Anyone heard this one?

The audio clip is certainly interesting:

http://www.fugalibera.com/readmorecd.php?cd=125&label=alpha

Got it and like it.  Makes a satisfying listen and that is quite something, considering how saturated the market already is even for recordings on period instruments.

ps. For something less idiosyncratic, but equally ably played and superably recorded, may I recommend Hidemi Suzuki's more recent recording on Deutsche Harmonia Mundi.  It's an Amati instrument with a baroque setup which he used.  Available as hybrid SACD's.

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

premont

Masolino, I own Suzukis first and very uninspired recording of the cello-suites. Do you think his second recording is that much better, as to justify a purchase??
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

BorisG

matti

FideLeo

Quote from: premont on October 06, 2007, 02:44:57 PM
Masolino, I own Suzukis first and very uninspired recording of the cello-suites. Do you think his second recording is that much better, as to justify a purchase??

The second is appreciably better (more inflected and overall better thought out) than the first as far as I am concerned.  But then I don't find the first one to be "very uninspired" either - just straightforward and light on "interpretative touches" and that is fine with me.  So ymmv (your mileage may vary) I guess  ;D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!