Schubert's String Quartets

Started by Mark, October 06, 2007, 06:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on October 06, 2007, 06:35:24 AM
Well unless you're strange like Gurn, I think that you will most likely discover that you'll like the late works alot more than the early ones which are imo only mildly pleasant to listen to once or twice.

I encourage you to try the other Melos set on HM because it has (a) better sound, (b) better playing, and (c) better price because it only does the good quartets.  That being said if you are absolutely committed to getting a complete set, both that you have linked are good, and I prefer Melos.  Did that set (I don't remember) include the quintet with Rostropovich?  I ask that because I love that recording of Schubert's string quintet, in fact maybe I should listen to it today! :)

I am very fond of my Melos set, even though it is complete. ::)  :D

I suppose you could shop around and build your own set of the best performance of each work, but that gets old for someone who isn't dedicated as hell to the concept. Overall, an excellent buy (I paid $35).

No, David, Rostro plays it with the Emersons, at least that's the one I have. Very nice performance too. If he also plays it with the Melos, that's new to me.

8)

----------------
Now playing: Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition - Jeno Jando - Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition for Piano - 01
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Lethevich

For single discs, alongside the new Hyperion (which I have not heard), this is another superb one:

I bought it at the same time as snapping up their Haydn (no doubt it'll be reissued in a box at a low price soon and I'll be kicking myself, but it was worth it :P) and it's chaming, and normal QM style - medium-ish tempos, polished, shining tones, bringing the music to life IMO. AKA: unfrightening HIP.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

dtwilbanks

For a complete set, Third Ear likes the Leipzig Quartet.

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 06, 2007, 11:47:39 AM

No, David, Rostro plays it with the Emersons, at least that's the one I have. Very nice performance too. If he also plays it with the Melos, that's new to me.

Surprisingly enough he has recorded it more than once, the first when he was in his prime was with Melos. ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on October 06, 2007, 12:00:30 PM
Surprisingly enough he has recorded it more than once, the first when he was in his prime was with Melos. ;D

Ah, well not so surprising, I suppose. I like that Emerson version with him. If the other tops it, it must be damned good. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing: Mussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibition - Jeno Jando - Balakirev Islamey for Piano - 02
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 06, 2007, 12:06:47 PM
Ah, well not so surprising, I suppose. I like that Emerson version with him. If the other tops it, it must be damned good. :)

8)

Yeah I don't know, guess it depends which counted more-- experience or arthritis! :D

Mark

Quote from: Harry Collier on October 06, 2007, 11:23:16 AM
I would recommend NOT starting with all the quartets. You would risk musical indigestion. Get to know a couple of the best ones to begin with. In my view, the recent GROC re-issue of the Busch Quartet in the last quartet, plus Death & the Maiden, is quite unparalleled.

Thanks, Harry.

Of course, it doesn't automatically follow that if I buy a complete set, I'll listen to the recordings in order. I'll probably start with the later ones and work back over a few months. ;)

BorisG

Quote from: dtw on October 06, 2007, 11:59:43 AM
For a complete set, Third Ear likes the Leipzig Quartet.

Third Ear is Tin Ear.

BorisG

Dancing Divertimentian

I've long had a high regard for the Takács Quartet in Schubert - dating back to their 1990s Decca recordings. It's high-voltage music-making without sacrificing subtlety - and ferreting out the subtleties is SO important in Schubert.

Since then the Takács have come along and re-recorded two of the late quartets on Hyperion (with new violist) and the tradition of high quality continues.

However, until the 'new' Takács gets round to re-recording the rest of the late quartet music (D.887 & D.703) I would still recommend the old (OOP) Decca recordings. Still front-runners after all these years. Hard to find, possibly, but no one would go wrong getting to know these recordings.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Snatched this one up today for $3.99 new!

Haven't heard it yet.

snyprrr

The best D887?

Also, a 50s complete set by the Philharmonic? Qrt (members of the orchestra)....supposedly light years ahead of everything else?

FideLeo

Quite possibly the first HIP recording of Death and Maiden.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Valentino

We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

snyprrr

Quote from: Valentino on June 08, 2009, 02:11:26 PM

Four surgeons cutting you to pieces.

Wow! THAT looks hot!!! :o

I think I might have answered my Op.95 question, too.

Honestly, seeing that made me Pavlov.

snyprrr

That HIP disc looks like it could be nicely creepy.

snyprrr

Also, Melos/DG is different than Melos/Harmonia Mundi, no?

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: snyprrr on June 08, 2009, 06:43:40 PM
Also, Melos/DG is different than Melos/Harmonia Mundi, no?

Correct. Same members, later date for HM.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mandryka

Recommendations much appreciated for the best recording of the G Major Quartet, D887.

I want one with pace and excitement, and one which finds some joy in the music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen