Schubert's String Quartets

Started by Mark, October 06, 2007, 06:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Quote from: snyprrr on June 08, 2009, 06:40:34 PM
That HIP disc looks like it could be nicely creepy.

Schubert meant the melody to sound that way!  :)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Herman

Quote from: snyprrr on June 08, 2009, 06:43:40 PM
Also, Melos/DG is different than Melos/Harmonia Mundi, no?

yes. These are (obviously) two different recordings.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: masolino on June 08, 2009, 01:33:01 PM

Quite possibly the first HIP recording of Death and Maiden.

Now, that's a disk I would like to have. Copies must be thin on the ground, as I have never seen it listed anywhere. Thanks for pointing it out anyway. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Valentino

Quote from: Mandryka on June 08, 2009, 09:19:43 PM
Recommendations much appreciated for the best recording of the G Major Quartet, D887.

I want one with pace and excitement, and one which finds some joy in the music.

Should there be any joy in D887? In the lighter moments I hear beautiful melancholy, but never any outright joyfulness.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

FideLeo

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 09, 2009, 04:24:48 AM
Now, that's a disk I would like to have. Copies must be thin on the ground, as I have never seen it listed anywhere.

Really? listing @ amazon (one in stock, more @ the marketplace)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 09, 2009, 04:24:48 AM
Now, that's a disk I would like to have. Copies must be thin on the ground, as I have never seen it listed anywhere. Thanks for pointing it out anyway. :)

8)

I bought my copy here, Gurn: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7786841&style=classical, slightly more cheap than Amazon.

FideLeo

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on June 09, 2009, 06:23:34 AM
slightly more cheap than Amazon.

Well I list Amazon first because this very forum exists through its support.  No, I don't get any commission from Amazon if things are bought through the links I post.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: masolino on June 09, 2009, 06:14:08 AM
Really? listing @ amazon (one in stock, more @ the marketplace)

Thanks for the links, guys. Strangely, I had done my initial search on the keyword "Terpsycordes" and only got a couple of hits, not Schubert. Well, if you look at the page you see that their name isn't mentioned except on the picture of the album cover. Now, that's strange. ::)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: masolino on June 09, 2009, 06:25:29 AM
Well I list Amazon first because this very forum exists through its support.  No, I don't get any commission from Amazon if things are bought through the links I post.

You have unmasked me, Masolino. I am a commission agent for CD Universe. ;D

I bought that CD some months ago and I did put the cover on the HIP Romatics thread. My only problem about it is that doesn't sound too much HIP for me.

FideLeo

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on June 09, 2009, 06:47:38 AM

My only problem about it is that doesn't sound too much HIP for me.

I assume that the musicians only wanted to make a recording that is moderately informed by historical practices. ;)

FideLeo

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 09, 2009, 06:44:35 AM
Well, if you look at the page you see that their name isn't mentioned except on the picture of the album cover. Now, that's strange. ::)

Blame it on the people who build databases for music distributors and retailers, as some of them are happy with a partial or even random selection of keywords. 

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: masolino on June 09, 2009, 07:32:56 AM
I assume that the musicians only wanted to make a recording that is moderately informed by historical practices. ;)

That was, in a certain way, my impression  :). I planned to listen to this recording again tonight, but I was trapped by the Egarr's Brandenburgs.  8)

FideLeo

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on June 09, 2009, 07:14:29 PM
but I was trapped by the Egarr's Brandenburgs.  8)

Yes his Bach is interesting in a controversial way -- some people simply cannot get over his somewhat wilful treatment of phrasing and rhythm in Bach.   The Quatuor Terpysichordes in Schubert, on the other hand, are more closely aligned with the establishment; they seem to be contented with the new textures and possibilities of articulation afforded by the use of gut strings and mid-19th century set-up of their bows and instruments (see their performer's notes in the booklet).

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: masolino on June 09, 2009, 07:56:04 PM
Yes his Bach is interesting in a controversial way -- some people simply cannot get over his somewhat wilful treatment of phrasing and rhythm in Bach.   The Quatuor Terpysichordes in Schubert, on the other hand, are more closely aligned with the establishment; they seem to be contented with the new textures and possibilities of articulation afforded by the use of gut strings and mid-19th century set-up of their bows and instruments (see their performer's notes in the booklet).

I agree with you, Masolino. I did read the liner notes and noted the same thing: a marked emphasis on the "instrumentarium".

On the other hand, in the Egarr's recording I have loved the beautiful textures created among the instruments. All the recording is full of little "conversations" and every voice is clearly listened to. I suppose those are the benefits of the OV(or I)PP thesis and certain willful treatment of phrasing and rhythm its costs.

snyprrr

Chilingirian on Schubert? Anyone?

snyprrr

I found one thing on Chilingirian that was positive, and then one review knocking the "grey" sound. I thought Nimbus always had the Nimbus sound...I know it doesn't always work, so maybe that's what happened, but I'm pretty sure the Medici/Beethoven at least "sounds" good.

But does anyone know D887 by Yo-Yo Ma, Kim Kashkashian, Gidon Kremer, and ?Phillips on CBS with Mozart Adagio+Fugue??? I almost wouldn't even care how the performance went... but it sooounds like a hoot!

Bunny

Quote from: snyprrr on June 14, 2009, 01:11:13 AM
I found one thing on Chilingirian that was positive, and then one review knocking the "grey" sound. I thought Nimbus always had the Nimbus sound...I know it doesn't always work, so maybe that's what happened, but I'm pretty sure the Medici/Beethoven at least "sounds" good.

But does anyone know D887 by Yo-Yo Ma, Kim Kashkashian, Gidon Kremer, and ?Phillips on CBS with Mozart Adagio+Fugue??? I almost wouldn't even care how the performance went... but it sooounds like a hoot!

I haven't heard that album, but Ma, Kashkashian and Kremer have recorded one of the best K563s around.  That's reference for the divertimento on modern instruments, so I'd bet that this recording with the same forces is probably very, very good at the very least.

Herman

Quote from: Bunny on June 15, 2009, 02:41:17 PM
I haven't heard that album, but Ma, Kashkashian and Kremer have recorded one of the best K563s around.  That's reference for the divertimento on modern instruments, so I'd bet that this recording with the same forces is probably very, very good at the very least.

I would disagree about that. Admitteldy there aren't a whole lot of 563s around, but this one is peculiarly lifeless.

Bunny

Quote from: Herman on June 15, 2009, 09:57:23 PM

I would disagree about that. Admitteldy there aren't a whole lot of 563s around, but this one is peculiarly lifeless.

Yes, we disagree.  I love their K563 and the only one I think to compare it to is by the Trio Pasquier, and that was never released on cd.

snyprrr

Lydian SQ:

I must be one of those people who prefer No.8 to No.14.