Piano Repertoire

Started by admiralackbar74, July 25, 2009, 06:36:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admiralackbar74

I hear you on how to collect the recordings. The issue at hand right now is what to collect.

I have my own list that I'm giving him, but I thought I might cover my bases by asking here, too.

Any further recommendations? What about more modern and contemporary repertoire? Anything that you consider standard?

(I'm thinking of adding the Ligeti Etudes and Webern's Piano Variations to my list.)

MishaK

Quote from: admiralackbar74 on July 25, 2009, 03:30:15 PM
Any further recommendations? What about more modern and contemporary repertoire? Anything that you consider standard?

(I'm thinking of adding the Ligeti Etudes and Webern's Piano Variations to my list.)

As I mentioned above, I think Messiaen's Vingt Regards belong in every decent piano CD library, as does the Ives Concord Sonata.

jochanaan

Quote from: admiralackbar74 on July 25, 2009, 03:30:15 PM
...Any further recommendations? What about more modern and contemporary repertoire? Anything that you consider standard?...
Bartók: Mikrokosmos, esp. Vol. V and VI, and his three Piano Concertos.  Geza Anda has recorded the three concertos, Maurizio Pollini has done at least the first two, and Stephen Kovacevich has recorded Mikrokosmos, at least Vol. VI. 8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity