Purchases Today

Started by Dungeon Master, February 24, 2013, 01:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Quote from: Wanderer on February 06, 2023, 12:22:57 AMSouvenirs de Paris:

I'd be interested in thoughts on the Brahms piano sets. Plowright was kind of on my radar.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Wanderer

Quote from: Madiel on February 06, 2023, 12:58:00 AMI'd be interested in thoughts on the Brahms piano sets. Plowright was kind of on my radar.

Plowright is fine, but Douglas is much better. I already have Plowright in the Third Sonata (also fine), but wasn't much inspired by his overall playing to continue collecting his Brahms traversal at full price (and later streaming/sampling of further issues confirmed my decision). I got this Plowright disc mostly for the Ballades (which next to Douglas' and others' sound rather mundane) and Op. 119 for the grand price of 4 euros. It's definitely worth more than that!
The Barry Douglas set, on the other hand, I think is an excellent traversal of Brahms' music, succinct, insightful and in beautiful sound. Very highly recommended.

Wanderer

Wanderer

Florestan

"Art is no excuse for boring people." - Jules Renard

"Melody is the essence of music." - Mozart

ultralinear

Half-price new at Amazon UK:

Wanderer

Quote from: Florestan on Today at 02:41:12 AMMake sure to get its complement too:

That's the plan - when the price is right. Until then, streaming is good for the wallet (and a great way to ascertain over time whether you really want to own a recording). 😉

ritter

I suppose you got that (superb) haul from the Av. des Ternes, Tassos?

How was Paris? How was Tristan? How was Carmen? Enquiring minds want to know!

Good evening to you!
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« ...tout cela qui prend forme et solidité, est sorti, ville et jardins, de ma tasse de thé. »