The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: chord on March 06, 2017, 12:59:02 PM
It's a Balestracci's one.
Outstanding.

I shall try to hear it as what little I've heard of Italian viol music I've liked.

I was thinking of suggesting to Thatfabulousalien some music for Lyra Viol, maybe he would appreciate some of the things in the Naxos recording of The Manchester Viol Book, or some of the Lyra Viol music Dunford and Savall recorded.

By the way, I very much enjoyed that Mexican Mass recording by The Harp Consort you posted the other day, I'd never heard it before.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

chord

Please be careful, it's not a conventional approach.
That part of Spanish Kingdom - I mean Naples - was really non-conventional part of the Early Music empire either.

Here is a Pergolesi's Stabat Mater, I say 'non-conventional' and I say 'excellent'.
I wrote a detailed article about it; I am afraid you won't understand...
http://komolyzeneiajanlo.blogspot.hu/2016/09/feljegyzesek-egy-kapucinus-kolostorbol.html

Mandryka

Quote from: chord on March 07, 2017, 08:54:31 AM
Please be careful, it's not a conventional approach.

I see what you mean. Thanks for leading me to it.

Quote from: chord on March 07, 2017, 08:54:31 AM
I am afraid you won't understand...

I regret to say that you are right.

Mr. Minnow

An interesting new CD coming from Musica Fiata of Monteverdi's Vespers - of 1650, not 1610:

I found this info on Presto Classical:

QuoteClaudio Monteverdi, whose 450th birthday is being celebrated by the world of classical music in 2017, was one of the most important composers in the history of music. His impressive output had a major influence on the course of music history and still thrills listeners today with the incomparable quality of his compositions. One of his greatest sacred works is Vespro della Beata Vergine from 1610, yet there is another excellent work which has been overlooked until today: the Vespers for the Blessed Virgin from 1650. This work stands out for its wide range of affects, astounding vocal and instrumental combinations, its richness of virtuoso coloraturas as well as its stark musical contrasts. In this setting, Monteverdi creates a unique connection between the polyphonic style of the Renaissance and the wide range of affects characteristic of Baroque style. In addition, a special feature of this work is that instead of the antiphons customary at the time, the music publisher Alessandro Vincenti added not only Monteverdi's Motets from 1624, but also five outstanding works by contemporary composers: Giovanni Rigotti (1613–1648), Alessandro Grandi (1577–1630) und Massimiliano Neri (1623–1673). This recording by the singers and musicians of Capella Ducale and Musica Fiata directed by Roland Wilson makes an outstanding contribution to Monteverdi's 450th birthday.

kishnevi

Cross post from the Listening thread

[asin]B01MSWBUN8[/asin]
Well recorded, and the minimal forces (OVPP, I'm pretty sure) make the melodic and contrapuntal lines very clear to the ear.  Buy it, listen to it, put some paper over the cover so you can forget how ugly the cover is.

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 22, 2017, 12:08:24 AM
I'm starting to be really interested in Oswald Von Wolkenstein's music  :)

I've heard a bunch of his pieces/works on YouTube and they have quite a big replay value  8)

This CD is well worth picking up if you can find it at a reasonable price:

Sequentia seem to have a reputation as pretty much the gold standard in Medieval music performance, and I can see why. Not a single recording I've heard by them has been anything less than excellent.

premont

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on March 22, 2017, 05:08:57 AM
This CD is well worth picking up if you can find it at a reasonable price:

Sequentia seem to have a reputation as pretty much the gold standard in Medieval music performance, and I can see why. Not a single recording I've heard by them has been anything less than excellent.

It is contained in this nice box, which soon may be OOP:

https://www.amazon.de/Sequentia-Various/dp/B00LJGAMYI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1490191364&sr=1-1&keywords=sequentia
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 22, 2017, 06:05:16 AM
It is contained in this nice box, which soon may be OOP:

https://www.amazon.de/Sequentia-Various/dp/B00LJGAMYI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1490191364&sr=1-1&keywords=sequentia

It is in that set, but I believe those DHM boxes include no notes, and, more importantly, no sung texts or translations. That's something I always find really annoying, as it makes it impossible to know what on earth the songs are about. That makes for very frustrating listening. I can understand it on a disc of mass settings, as the Latin text and English translation are easy enough to find, but with most early music discs that's not going to be the case. Imagine listening to the Bordesholmer Marienklage from the Sequentia box with no text in front of you - it's ridiculous, but sadly it's become increasingly common.

Mandryka

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on March 22, 2017, 12:08:24 AM
I'm starting to be really interested in Oswald Von Wolkenstein's music  :)

I've heard a bunch of his pieces/works on YouTube and they have quite a big replay value  8)

I have two things to say about Wolkenstein. One is that it really helped me to look at the texts. Some of the music I like the most are long autobiographical songs and it's great to follow the events in his life as he sings  them.

And second there's a bloke who sings them with a hurdy-gurdy who's really memorable, called Eberhard Kummer. You may also enjoy studio der fruhen musik's recording and Rainer Bohm's Ensemble Alta Musica Wolkenstein Cd. I can't remember the sequential CD above, I may never have heard it in fact. I'll dig it out later.

PeterWillem

I'm not able to not take a listen of any of these records at least once every week. This is the medieval music sang in a way I really adore: lively and with honest passion. Recording quality is excellent. Often in recordings of this repertoire voices are drowned in reverb but thankfully, this records are completely free of this. Other examples of this close-microphone sound could be: Dufay recordings by Ensemble Musica Nova or by Cut Circle (both recommended).

Unfortunately, only 3 volumes of Conductus were planned (which is understandable since this kind of music is a perfect example of niche of music business). I think, I know all tracks of by heart now.

Artran

What's your sources of translated medieval and renaissance motets, chansons etc.? I'm digging through these periods, but because I'm on Spotify I don't have CD booklets (which kinda sucks).

EDIT:
I've just discovered that Hyperion Records is a great source of original texts and the translations. For every vocal or choral track is available an original text and the translation can be viewed alongside. This is how every record label should do it. It's perfect!

mszczuj

I'm looking for the booklet of this release:

https://www.discogs.com/Capella-Antiqua-M%C3%BCnchen-Konrad-Ruhland-Ars-Antiqua-Organum-Motette-Conductus-Fr%C3%BChe-Mehrstimmigkeit/release/10070820

I need information about sources and performers of all the tracks,  if there are any in it, as I have got my box without a booklet.

Could anybody help me?

Que

Quote from: mszczuj on April 19, 2017, 03:23:10 AM

I need information about sources and performers of all the tracks,  if there are any in it, as I have got my box without a booklet.

Could anybody help me?

Voilá.... :)

http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/tld9530.htm

Q

mszczuj

Quote from: Que on April 19, 2017, 09:14:43 AM
Voilá.... :)

http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/tld9530.htm

Q

Thank you Que, its useful but I still hope to find the readable version of this:

I suppose that the last lines in descriptions of single tracks are about manuscripts which are sources of them.

JCBuckley

mszczuj

Mr. Minnow

Due out later this week, The Sixteen's Selva Morale CDs released as a set:

Anyone familiar with these discs and how they compare to other recordings? I'd also be interested to know what The Sixteen's Vespers is like.

king ubu

Quote from: mszczuj on April 19, 2017, 11:57:41 PM
Thank you Que, its useful but I still hope to find the readable version of this:

I suppose that the last lines in descriptions of single tracks are about manuscripts which are sources of them.

Just zoom in there ... or open it here - hard to read the bottom lines, but the rest is pretty okay:
https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTEyOVgxNjAw/z/NAYAAOSwYmZXEOqh/$/SAWT-9530-31-Ars-Antiqua-Fruhe-Mehrstimmigkeit-Konrad-_57.jpg
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

TheGSMoeller

Only went back a few pages, so I apologize if it's been discussed before...
I recently purchased this disc and have instantly fallen in love with it...

[asin]B00A2CL6SQ[/asin]

I haven't heard the recording by Cinquecento on Hyperion, is it worth the buy? How is it compared to the Huelgas Ensemble?