The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Quote from: Biffo on July 04, 2020, 05:48:38 AM
Martin Codax (mid 13th century) has left a small collection of songs in Gallo-Portuguese. These are beautifully sung by the splendidly named Vivabiancaluna Biffi in an album called Ondas.

How about Supramusica? I'm listening to that Martin Codax because I could find it.

Biffo

Quote from: milk on July 04, 2020, 07:30:25 PM
How about Supramusica? I'm listening to that Martin Codax because I could find it.

No idea what Supramusica is.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on July 04, 2020, 03:34:07 AM

Is anyone willing to start in the 10th century and give an example or two, from each century leading up to the renaissance, of music and recordings that you like? And why?

For c10. compare the styles of La Reverdie singing lylium convallium (on Suso Italia Bella) and Venance Fortunat singing In conspectu angelorum (on The Eternal Chant from Cistercian Abbeys vol, 1)

Mandryka

And I think that they Sybil Latine on this CD is 10th century, but I'm not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/v/zt5seobVgtM

petrarch

Quote from: Mandryka on July 05, 2020, 05:23:43 AM
And I think that they Sybil Latine on this CD is 10th century, but I'm not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/v/zt5seobVgtM

The Latin Sybil is indeed the oldest, dating from the 10th-11th century.

You can read some of the booklet text on the page of the reissue of the CD:

https://www.alia-vox.com/en/catalogue/el-cant-de-la-sibila-catalunya/
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello folks hello Mandryka, hello everyone (including Irish) sorry voicing my hatred for catholic protestant rixte anymosity hatred, sorry Irish Catholicc has your majority you're bullying protestant minority, wich I find it not cool, but  I acknowledge  you been treated unfairly in the past, animosity between catholic and protestyant should seazed we are christian , of different rites but we believe in same essential message no same teaching it's no reason to fight, sorry for harness  from , I feel real bad but Bono arrogance and Gerry Adam party  Seinn Feinn i disagree whit there methods, Whit this all said, I will eend this mea culpa sorry guys?

Than since we are on, early music club, what about fantastic codex Montpellier or Bamberg codex?? I LOVE SO MUCH SONT KNOW WHY HOQUETUS OR QUITE SOMETHING ODD MONKS CHANTS???

Mandryka

Quote from: petrarch on July 05, 2020, 05:45:32 AM
The Latin Sybil is indeed the oldest, dating from the 10th-11th century.

You can read some of the booklet text on the page of the reissue of the CD:

https://www.alia-vox.com/en/catalogue/el-cant-de-la-sibila-catalunya/

It's a shame that no-one else seems to have bitten off this music. I like Savall and I like Fugueras, but I bet a performance more informed by current understanding of performance practice would come up with something totally different.

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on July 05, 2020, 05:58:36 AM
Hello folks hello Mandryka, hello everyone (including Irish) sorry voicing my hatred for catholic protestant rixte anymosity hatred, sorry Irish Catholicc has your majority you're bullying protestant minority, wich I find it not cool, but  I acknowledge  you been treated unfairly in the past, animosity between catholic and protestyant should seazed we are christian , of different rites but we believe in same essential message no same teaching it's no reason to fight, sorry for harness  from , I feel real bad but Bono arrogance and Gerry Adam party  Seinn Feinn i disagree whit there methods, Whit this all said, I will eend this mea culpa sorry guys?

Than since we are on, early music club, what about fantastic codex Montpellier or Bamberg codex?? I LOVE SO MUCH SONT KNOW WHY HOQUETUS OR QUITE SOMETHING ODD MONKS CHANTS???

What do you make of this? (It was the track after a bit of the Montpellier codex on the CD -- not very interesting for me unfortunately because just instrumental.)

https://www.youtube.com/v/q7AuxJLVJeg

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

QuoteThe group Supramúsica was created in Vilareal in 1987, to perform and make known the
entire wealth and possibilities generated by
music fundamentally from the Middle Ages
to the Renaissance.

Its repertoire, focused on the one hand on
secular music and, on the other, on nonliturgical religious music, concentrates particularly on the performance of the vocal and
instrumental music of Christian Europe in
the Middle Ages and the Renaissance and,
especially, that centred on the Iberian
Peninsula.

Among the various repertoires the group has
compiled during its musical life, reference
may be made to the monographic cycles
dedicated to the Uppsala Songbook, the
Palacio Songbook, medieval dance and, at present, a repertoire generically named Cantigas,
which seeks to evoke the music likely to have
been heard along the medieval Way to
Santiago: the Cantigas de amigo of the
Galician troubadour Martin Codax and the
Cantigas de Santa María of Alfonso X, King
of Castile.

The instruments used by Supramúsica have
been made according to originals still conserved, and from engravings, drawings and
sculptures, also from the time. Among them,
we may list the hurdy-gurdy, the saz, rebec,
fiddle, lute, theorbo, psaltery, recorders, chalemie, crumhorn, Kortholt, cornamusa, and
the entire percussion range.

Supramúsica has taken part in such prestigious events as the Fifth International
Festival of Early and Baroque Music of
Peñíscola, the Festival of Early Music
–Music, History and Art– held in Valencia,
the Cycle of Medieval Spanish Music organised by the Juan March Foundation en
Madrid –broadcast live by Spanish National
Radio's Classical Music Station– and the
fourth, fifth and sixth editions of the Cycle
of Early Music of Vila.

Throughout its history, Supramúsica has
drawn on a repertoire particularly suitable for
illustrating with music a variety of commemorations and events such as the 750th
anniversary of the birth of the town of
Valencia, the fifth centenary of the discovery
of America, or the celebration of the year of
St. James.

The instruments do indeed sound interesting on that CD which seems to be their only release. Bit new age hippy folk festival in approach, but that may be the nature of the music for all I know.  Quite nice.

Biffo

Quote from: Mandryka on July 06, 2020, 02:38:43 AM

The instruments do indeed sound interesting on that CD which seems to be their only release. Bit new age hippy folk festival in approach, but that may be the nature of the music for all I know.  Quite nice.

The recording of the Cantigas de amigo  I mentioned is performed by Vivabiancaluna Biffi (voice and viola d'arco) and Pierre Hamon (medieval flutes) and doesn't strike as being folksy. I will have to check out the Supramusica performance and what they do to the music. I think that performances from this period are possibly very speculative, even if the result is enjoyable.

premont

Quote from: Biffo on July 06, 2020, 02:48:43 AM
The recording of the Cantigas de amigo  I mentioned is performed by Vivabiancaluna Biffi (voice and viola d'arco) and Pierre Hamon (medieval flutes) and doesn't strike as being folksy. I will have to check out the Supramusica performance and what they do to the music. I think that performances from this period are possibly very speculative, even if the result is enjoyable.

Certainly. The Cantigas de amigo aren't but short monodic songs, but most of the recordings of these  I have heard are still enjoyable.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Biffo

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 06, 2020, 03:02:15 AM
Certainly. The Cantigas de amigo aren't but short monodic songs, but most of the recordings of these  I have heard are still enjoyable.

I searched Spotify for Martin Codax and turned up a surprising number of entries - some of them single songs that have been anthologized. I listened to the Supramusica recording - good in parts but could have done without the recitations and some of the instrumental contributions.

The search reminded me of King Alfonso X of Castile (El Sabio, The Wise) - Codax was possibly associated with his court (?). Our friend might try one of the albums featuring music from his court.

Jordi Savall has recorded three (?) albums of EL Canto Sibilla. Vol 2 (Galicia Castilla) has music from Alfonso's court.

Mandryka

Quote from: Biffo on July 06, 2020, 02:48:43 AM

Well I'm probably not being fair to Supramusica. There's something kind of sixties about the way some of this sort of music is presented, it reminds me of listening to Pink Floyd in an open air concert. Or maybe a film with Britt Ekland dancing nude in a field with haystacks.  I'm listening to Supramusica play Cantigas de Amigo: No. 7. Ai ondas que eu vin veere now, and that's the vibe.

I know that El Sabio wouldn't have had it played like this. Don't ask me how I know, but I do. I have magic powers.

Biffo

Quote from: Mandryka on July 06, 2020, 06:17:45 AM
Well I'm probably not being fair to Supramusica. There's something kind of sixties about the way some of this sort of music is presented, it reminds me of listening to Pink Floyd in an open air concert. Or maybe a film with Britt Ekland dancing nude in a field with haystacks.  I'm listening to Supramusica play Cantigas de Amigo: No. 7. Ai ondas que eu vin veere now, and that's the vibe.

I know that El Sabio wouldn't have had it played like this. Don't ask me how I know, but I do. I have magic powers.

Having now heard the Supramusica album and read your new posting I can appreciate what you are saying.

aligreto

Hortus Deliciarum:

I remember buying this CD many years ago under the misapprehension that it was a collection of the music of Hildegard. As it transpired she is only credited four times out of twenty one tracks, the rest being credited to other sources.

Having said that, this is a wonderful CD with heavenly singing from Discantus under the direction of Brigitte Lesne. Nonetheless, I still remember my great disappointment at the time because it was not all Hildegard's music.

milk

I'm stuck on La Reverdie. I just like their singing. But, this one is pretty good. Maybe it's a similar sound?

aligreto

Quote from: milk on July 12, 2020, 04:07:01 AM

I'm stuck on La Reverdie. I just like their singing. But, this one is pretty good. Maybe it's a similar sound?

I do not know that CD I am afraid so I cannot comment other than to agree that the sound may indeed be similar. If anyone has both recordings perhaps they can enlighten us.