The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: North Star on August 29, 2021, 06:18:21 AM
This looks like an interesting new release

https://www.youtube.com/v/QxYlJH8siso

Certainly. One of my favorite early composers. He is the one depicted on my avatar.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Carlo Gesualdo

https://www.youtube.com/v/QxYlJH8siso

WOW this look fabuleous I'm so getting this records one of the smartest Ars Subtilior  composer ever no way wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :P

Carlo Gesualdo

I got a marvelous  LP'S set called ARS BRITTANICA Old Hall Manuscript.

Three LP whit Lute Songs, Madrigals, a very interesting  and complete program of  Brittish composers, on Das Alte Werk label it's very good, anyone familiar whit this release hey?

The best for fanboy of English madrigals & Lute Songs, get this, trust me, I'm not lying it's that good!

I swear!!  :P

Que

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 30, 2021, 09:54:09 AM
Certainly. One of my favorite early composers. He is the one depicted on my avatar.

Very interesting - I never realised!  :)

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on August 30, 2021, 11:22:47 AM
WOW this look fabuleous I'm so getting this records one of the smartest Ars Subtilior  composer ever no way wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :P

I hope you know La Fonte Musica's two other CDs.

The booklet essay is fun

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/36/000142563.pdf
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on August 30, 2021, 11:53:09 PM
I hope you know La Fonte Musica's two other CDs.

The booklet essay is fun

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/36/000142563.pdf

I suppose you think of

Le Ray au Soleyl Musique de la Cour de Visconti À la Fin du 14ème Siècle

and

Metamorfosi Trecento

both highly recommendable and very promising as to the Zacara CDs.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Meanwhile I would like to draw the attention to two other exclusively Zacara CDs. one from Currentes (on Lawo) and the other one from Micrologus (on their own label):

https://www.amazon.it/s?k=zacara+de+teramo&i=popular&dc&__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&ref=a9_asc_1
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 31, 2021, 02:36:22 AM
I suppose you think of

Le Ray au Soleyl Musique de la Cour de Visconti À la Fin du 14ème Siècle

and

Metamorfosi Trecento

both highly recommendable and very promising as to the Zacara CDs.

Yes, I like them very much and so far I like the ZdT very much too. 

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on August 31, 2021, 02:44:15 AM
Meanwhile I would like to draw the attention to two other exclusively Zacara CDs. one from Currentes (on Lawo) and the other one from Micrologus (on their own label):

https://www.amazon.it/s?k=zacara+de+teramo&i=popular&dc&__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&ref=a9_asc_1

I have it, and have been dipping in occasionally yesterday. There's also a few ZdT tracks on Orlando Consort's The Saracen and Dove, and Mala Punica's Missa Cantilena.

PeterWillem

Quote from: Mandryka on August 31, 2021, 02:48:02 AM
Orlando Consort's The Saracen and Dove
What an amazing album it was! Same goes for rest of their 90s/00s output (Popes & Antipopes, The Call of the Phoenix, Medieval Christmas...).
Unfortunately, I can make through those latest Machaut recordings (and I have 5 of them). Their stubbornness in singing "iiiiii" for most of the lines is criminal and unfortunately Matthew, new countertenor is a major step back in comparison to Robert Jones.

I can recommend this. Very nice mix of instrumental and purely vocal songs.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on August 31, 2021, 02:48:02 AM
I have it, and have been dipping in occasionally yesterday. There's also a few ZdT tracks on Orlando Consort's The Saracen and Dove, and Mala Punica's Missa Cantilena.

Yes, and even if these are symphatetic recordings, it wasn't until the Currentes recording I realized how special Zacara da Teramo is. Hopefully he will become recorded more in the future.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: J.II.9 on August 31, 2021, 11:03:07 AM
What an amazing album it was! Same goes for rest of their 90s/00s output (Popes & Antipopes, The Call of the Phoenix, Medieval Christmas...).
Unfortunately, I can make through those latest Machaut recordings (and I have 5 of them). Their stubbornness in singing "iiiiii" for most of the lines is criminal and unfortunately Matthew, new countertenor is a major step back in comparison to Robert Jones.

I think they get better at Machaut, I don't have a great problem with Matthew Venner, I just feel that the original members are a bit past their sell by date now, Angus Smith and Donald Greig.

Maybe I'm particularly impressed by this year's release, The Lion of Nobility.

Mandryka

Quote from: J.II.9 on August 31, 2021, 11:03:07 AM
I can recommend this. Very nice mix of instrumental and purely vocal songs.

Normally I'm not so interested in this type of instrumental music but I thought the tracks here were very agreeable.

SonicMan46

BOY, I've not posted here in over 6 years and was most active a dozen years ago, likely when I was reading about and collecting this 'Early Music'!

BUT, I'm currently reading the book below on Music in the Renaissance (part of an excellent Norton series that I've been renting on my iPad) - currently on a section about Guillaume DuFay and his mass based on L'homme armé (The Armed Man), a popular secular song in the later Middle Ages (the tune and words at the bottom - see link for more).  Apparently, over three dozen masses were composed to the Ordinary of the Mass using this melody and variants - I probably own at least a half dozen or more, so decided to pull out a few for the morning's listening.  After building up a nice collection of this music, I've not been listening for a long while; must be corrected! - Dave :)

Traverso

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 04, 2021, 07:47:17 AM
BOY, I've not posted here in over 6 years and was most active a dozen years ago, likely when I was reading about and collecting this 'Early Music'!

BUT, I'm currently reading the book below on Music in the Renaissance (part of an excellent Norton series that I've been renting on my iPad) - currently on a section about Guillaume DuFay and his mass based on L'homme armé (The Armed Man), a popular secular song in the later Middle Ages (the tune and words at the bottom - see link for more).  Apparently, over three dozen masses were composed to the Ordinary of the Mass using this melody and variants - I probably own at least a half dozen or more, so decided to pull out a few for the morning's listening.  After building up a nice collection of this music, I've not been listening for a long while; must be corrected! - Dave :)

Your ears are hungry now ( I hope)  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Traverso on September 04, 2021, 09:14:07 AM

Your ears are hungry now ( I hope)  :)

LOL!  :laugh:  Yep, decided to put on some more Guillaume Dufay (c. 1397-1474) - Dave :)

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 04, 2021, 07:47:17 AM

Dave, I think you should this recording - which is one of Van Nevel's very best:

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on September 05, 2021, 05:33:29 AM
Dave, I think you should this recording - which is one of Van Nevel's very best:

Thanks Que for the recommendation - I have the Paul van Nevel Dufay recording inserted above (and shown yesterday) - Amazon USA has quite a few pages on Nevel and I did find a 'used' copy at the 'Declutter' MP seller out of Georgia (usually takes just several days to get to me in NC from them), so made an order ($8 including the shipping/handling).  Dave :)

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 05, 2021, 08:01:37 AM
Thanks Que for the recommendation - I have the Paul van Nevel Dufay recording inserted above (and shown yesterday) - Amazon USA has quite a few pages on Nevel and I did find a 'used' copy at the 'Declutter' MP seller out of Georgia (usually takes just several days to get to me in NC from them), so made an order ($8 including the shipping/handling).  Dave :)

Excellent!  :)  An very indispensable recording for anyone exploring the L'Homme Armé theme.

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello folks  I am listening to William Cornysh live in Rome Tallis Scholars this is actually quite good but when it come to a composer I like them I get a bit bias but take for granted White, Fayrfax, Parsons, Browne, Lambe is equally splendid. Love English Polyphony Godz!!

What do you think of William Cornysh?

People should  the ensemble The Clerks for Cornysh too you might see what I see or ear what I heard see, the beauty of English polyphony of Tudors time hey?