The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on September 23, 2021, 08:16:03 AM
It's excellent but you need to have Sequentia too, which is also excellent and is, of course, slightly different. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

http://www.sequentia.org/recordings/recording08.html

Well, I know Sequentia (have their Hildegard box), but again the physical CD is $30+ on Amazon, not a purchase - now Qobuz has the CD quality DL shown below for $13 - label covers are different but assume the same recording?  Dave

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 23, 2021, 08:31:03 AM
Well, I know Sequentia (have their Hildegard box), but again the physical CD is $30+ on Amazon, not a purchase - now Qobuz has the CD quality DL shown below for $13 - label covers are different but assume the same recording?  Dave

Yes it is. Basically if I remember correctly Sequentia is faster and more incisive than Orlando, Orlando more lyrical and introspective than Sequentia. Both make a really convincing case out for de Vitry.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on September 23, 2021, 08:38:36 AM
Yes it is. Basically if I remember correctly Sequentia is faster and more incisive than Orlando, Orlando more lyrical and introspective than Sequentia. Both make a really convincing case out for de Vitry.

Both the Orlando & Sequentia recordings have about 20 tracts each; below is a listing of the Orlando 'motets' - in bold are the tracts that are also on the other recording, so about half are duplicated, so Sequentia would provide me w/ 10 or so additional de Vitry songs; and on PrestoMusic the recording is a $10 MP3 DL - maybe some downloading for me?  Dave  :-\

Quotede Vitry - Orlando tracts
Vitry: Vos quied admiramini - Gratissima viginis species
Vitry: Se je chant
Vitry: Apta caro - Flos virginum
Vitry: Tribum que non abhorruit - Quoniam secta latronum
Vitry: O canenda vulgo - Rex quem metrorum
Vitry: Colla iugo subdere - Bona condit
Vitry: Petre Clemens - Lugentium siccentur

Vitry: Trahunt in precipicia - Quasi non ministerium - Ve qui gregi
Vitry: Almifonis melos - Rosa sine culpe spina
Vitry: Douce playsence - Garison selon nature
Vitry: Tuba sacre fidei - In arboris

Vitry: In virtute - Decens carmen
Vitry: Impudenter circumivi - Virtutuibus laudabilis
Vitry: Aman novi probatur - Heu, fortuna subdola
Vitry: Floret cum vana gloria - Florens vigor
Vitry: Firmissime fide - Adesto Sancta Trinitas

Vitry: Flos ortus - Celsa cedrus
Vitry: Servant regem - O Philippe
Vitry: Cum statua Nabucodonasor - Hugo, Hugo, princeps invidie

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

Quote from: North Star on September 24, 2021, 01:53:16 PM
new release

https://www.youtube.com/v/9-bTeG2_KzM

My first  impressions are quite positive. This is the third cd dedicated to the Winchester Toper, and the second to use ladies' voices, I prefer the one from Schola Gregoriana Cambridge I think, with male singers and a mass. It may help when I follow the text in this Diologos recording - it's really a drama.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on September 25, 2021, 12:50:40 AM
My first  impressions are quite positive. This is the third cd dedicated to the Winchester Toper, and the second to use ladies' voices, I prefer the one from Schola Gregoriana Cambridge I think, with male singers and a mass. It may help when I follow the text in this Diologos recording - it's really a drama.

Well, I've heard of the Winchester Troper but did not understand its significance until I read the link - impressive!  Off Spotify, I listened to the first two recordings shown below (assume the one w/ Schola Gregoriana Cambridge is Mandryka's reference?) - unfortunately did not have any booklet translations.  But I did notice on Amazon that the Schola group had a bunch of recordings - any particular recommendations for those who may own one or more?  The 'Abelard & Heloise' story always interested me -  8)  Dave

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 25, 2021, 08:05:55 AM

The Cambridge recordings are an acquired taste, so sample. The Abelard is interesting, very restrained. And there's a liturgical setting of the Machaut mass, which is not my cup of tea, partly because of a personal antipathy to the posh Eton and Oxbridge accents of some of the singers. There are some recordings made in the Vatican, with bad Vatican acoustics.

Here's one of my comments ages ago

Quote from: Mandryka on May 13, 2021, 09:49:46 AM

They may be OK at singing monophonic music like some church chant,  but to me they sound chaotic when singing music with different simultaneous melodies - it may be the reverb, but honestly - they decided to recorded it with so much reverb! And their singers - especially the woman (or is it a female impersonator) - sound amateur to me. An interesting concept CD but badly executed IMO. What a disappointment.

That being said the Dunstable is priceless, I remember commenting on it before - it would be interesting to know what thinking led them to sing it like this. It's just weird - and I'm not sure if it's good weird! The Johannes Nucius (who he?) is strange too - with a womanny voice  singing like Mary Poppins. Yuck, bad bad baddy bad.

And San Antone's defence

Quote from: Old San Antone on May 13, 2021, 03:18:12 PM
It was recorded October 1992 at The Abbey Church, Pontigny, Yonne.   I have been a fan of Mary Berry and this schola for a long time and can't agree with your assessment.

Here's some info about the recording and music:

QuoteThe Abbey of Pontigny, second daughter-house of Cîteaux, was founded in 1114 in the valley of the River Serin, a typical rural Cistercian site. The Abbey church is the largest Cistercian church surviving in France today.

The imposing height and length of the building give it a remarkably warm and resonant acoustic, well suited to chant. The brilliance of the white stone enables the purity and simplicity of the early Cistercian architecture to be revealed in all its beauty.

The Abbey is rich in history. In particular, during the 12th and 13th centuries three English Archbishops of Canterbury sought refuge there: Thomas Becket (1118-1170), Stephen Langton (d.1228), and Edmund of Abingdon (c.1175-1240), who became patron saint of Pontigny.

Pentecost has a special meaning for the people of Pontigny because it was on a Whit Monday that Edmund of Abingdon, – St Edme in French – was transported from Soissy, where he died, to his final resting-place above the high altar in the Abbey church.

This recording enters into the spirit of ‘Pentecôte at Pontigny’: ritual music for the feast of Pentecost, chants gleaned from Cistercian service-books, and a selection of pieces that honour the three Archbishops.

I could be wrong but I think this schola is a male group.

One I've tried to get into is based around the asassination of St Thomas Becket -- maybe I should give it another go soon.

These things are really austere, I mean it's like being in a cold uncomfortable church sitting through a long long service.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on September 25, 2021, 08:29:45 AM
The Cambridge recordings are an acquired taste, so sample. The Abelard is interesting, very restrained. And there's a liturgical setting of the Machaut mass, which is not my cup of tea, partly because of a personal antipathy to the posh Eton and Oxbridge accents of some of the singers. There are some recordings made in the Vatican, with bad Vatican acoustics.

Here's one of my comments ages ago

And San Antone's defence

I could be wrong but I think this schola is a male group.

One I've tried to get into is based around the asassination of St Thomas Becket -- maybe I should give it another go soon.

These things are really austere, I mean it's like being in a cold uncomfortable church sitting through a long long service.

Thanks Mandryka for your helpful comments - believe that I'll just put together a Spotify playlist and listen for a morning -  8)  Dave

aligreto

Gesualdo: Dolcissima mia vita. Madrigali a cinque voci, Libro quinto (1611)

I like the sounds of the samples that I have heard from this one. It is a bit soprano top heavy but that vocal is top quality so it is not a major point for me.

SonicMan46

Well a small package of BRO bargains arrived today - culling and adding to my 'early music collection' - so some new additions (also one disc of Machaut and one of Dufay):

Ockeghem, Johannes (c. 1420-1497) - Requiem w/ Ensemble Organum & Marcel Peres - considered the first polyphonic setting of the Mass for the Dead - several reviews attached.

Philips, Peter (c. 1560-1628) - Cantiones Sacrae w/ Rupert Gough & Richard Marlow) and Keyboard Works, V. 2 w/ Siegbert Rampe on harpsichord, clavichord, and organ - reviews of all of these recordings is in the attachment for those interested; plus, short bio below.  Dave :)

QuotePeter Philips was an eminent English composer, organist, and Catholic priest exiled to Flanders. He was one of the greatest keyboard virtuosos of his time, and transcribed or arranged several Italian motets and madrigals by such composers as Lassus, Palestrina, and Giulio Caccini for his instruments. Some of his keyboard works are found in the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book. Philips also wrote many sacred choral works. (Source)

Mandryka

I've been listening to all the performances of Dufay's se la face est pale mass which I can find - and it's a surprise to me how Chiaroscuro  Ensemble seemed to stand out from the crowd, partly because of the ensemble's sound, the harmonies are more interesting with Chiaroscuro than others.

There's more, their feel for rhythms and tactus too make this an outstanding thing I think

I came across it because I like Nigel Rogers' voice and was keen to explore what he's done. I'd kind of avoided the recording in the past because I'd thought of Chiaroscuro Ensemble as a baroque outfit, but here they show they can walk the walk in early music too.

The recording is beefed up with some songs, Senfl, Lassus, Dufay, which I haven't heard yet.

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on October 02, 2021, 02:47:17 AM
I've been listening to all the performances of Dufay's se la face est pale mass which I can find - and it's a surprise to me how Chiaroscuro  Ensemble seemed to stand out from the crowd, partly because of the ensemble's sound, the harmonies are more interesting with Chiaroscuro than others.

There's more, their feel for rhythms and tactus too make this an outstanding thing I think

I came across it because I like Nigel Rogers' voice and was keen to explore what he's done. I'd kind of avoided the recording in the past because I'd thought of Chiaroscuro Ensemble as a baroque outfit, but here they show they can walk the walk in early music too.

The recording is beefed up with some songs, Senfl, Lassus, Dufay, which I haven't heard yet.

Thank you for posting,interesting recording

Carlo Gesualdo

Dear folk, I just purchased a fabulous CD on AEON label, Called In Memoriam, It sounds awesome from Phillipe DE Vitry, principal instigator of Ars nova, whit an interresting program that Include Machaut Messe DE Notre-Dame, It prodigious, one of the best rendition of thee Masse, plus anons and less prolific composer, did I needed this well perhaps because I only had A vynil on Das Alte Werk, not that it  was so bad , but AEON a great CD company offer quality goods, so this look good, presentation sleeve and it was discount.

For trough Ars Nova lover and neophyte a delight for the ears.

What do you think people of GMG, this seem very great the Mass of Notre-Dame seem better than Marcel Pérès , good ensemble Organum this is telling peoples.

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on October 17, 2021, 05:57:48 PM
Dear folk, I just purchased a fabulous CD on AEON label, Called In Memoriam, It sounds awesome from Phillipe DE Vitry, principal instigator of Ars nova, whit an interresting program that Include Machaut Messe DE Notre-Dame, It prodigious, one of the best rendition of thee Masse, plus anons and less prolific composer, did I needed this well perhaps because I only had A vynil on Das Alte Werk, not that it  was so bad , but AEON a great CD company offer quality goods, so this look good, presentation sleeve and it was discount.

For trough Ars Nova lover and neophyte a delight for the ears.

What do you think people of GMG, this seem very great the Mass of Notre-Dame seem better than Marcel Pérès , good ensemble Organum this is telling peoples.

Yes, the tempo is my cup of tea -- much more so than Parrott in the mass. I've seen Kandel in concert with medieval music -- some de Virtry and the Missa Barcelona -- it was very entertaining indeed.

I think you should hear everything that Ensemble Musica Nova have recorded forthwith, including the Jacob Handl motets.

PeterWillem

As much as I adore Ensemble Musica Nova for their Dufay recording, the Machaut mass was a major dissapointment. While tempo and singing are nicely aligned, there are some issues with hmm...neumes transcription, I guess? There are some chords which sounds just off comparing to other recordings.

Mandryka

Quote from: J.II.9 on October 18, 2021, 12:45:01 PM
As much as I adore Ensemble Musica Nova for their Dufay recording, the Machaut mass was a major dissapointment. While tempo and singing are nicely aligned, there are some issues with hmm...neumes transcription, I guess? There are some chords which sounds just off comparing to other recordings.

Yes, I know exactly why you're saying that but I don't think those chords sound off, I think they sound good. It would certainly be interesting to read more about how Kandel created his performing edition - as far as I know there's nothing in the public domain.

Carlo Gesualdo

Greeting  there an album that stand out in my collection, It had many listen so far, was wondering what you think have you heard it.

Zamyra Byrd, Mandryka, QUE and etc...

This album extra ordinary, each time I would listen to this album, I was filled whit joy, an album of Capella Del Ministers by eminent director Carle Magraner, Cançonier DE Gandia, wow I mean WOW in caps locks this is a superb  album to be heard to be loved, perhaps I say perhaps one of the best ever made of this ensemble, the instrumental part if fantastic the voices are sublime, the climax is outstanding, one of the best album I heard by this ensemble, if you don't like this album this album or find fault you don't know quality music, sure Capella Del Minister don't make concensus as greatest ensemble some disagree, but this one yeah this one fabulous.

Capella Del Ministers is so underrated , okay there album are pricey but the quality the repertoire all they done, there are gems, worth checking out.

Any comment on this album, It's one of my favorite album of all time in Franco-Flemish music I adore this album.

Me and 27 Mensa musicologists of Switzerland think so, I gave it a more than decent 10 out 10, if you hate this album and you like ancient lore music, you don't know your stuff.

Carlo Gesualdo

Dominique Phinot, wrote awesome music the Brabant ensemble and to and an extent ensemble Scandinus, show it quite well, , the thing that irritate me is his Motets and is strength yet no album  made of his Motets only.It's a shame because his music was  great elaborated  whit finesse, okay not a role model in real life, but a great composer of obscure renaissance , active in urbino He got punished for wrongfull doing in Urbino Italy, we should have more of this composer.

I learn  that music is music, and personal life is obsolete my view, personal life not of interrest music is. All I heard of him was well crafted if I can't say .

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on October 30, 2021, 01:38:35 AM
Greeting  there an album that stand out in my collection, It had many listen so far, was wondering what you think have you heard it.

Zamyra Byrd, Mandryka, QUE and etc...

This album extra ordinary, each time I would listen to this album, I was filled whit joy, an album of Capella Del Ministers by eminent director Carle Magraner, Cançonier DE Gandia, wow I mean WOW in caps locks this is a superb  album to be heard to be loved, perhaps I say perhaps one of the best ever made of this ensemble, the instrumental part if fantastic the voices are sublime, the climax is outstanding, one of the best album I heard by this ensemble, if you don't like this album this album or find fault you don't know quality music, sure Capella Del Minister don't make concensus as greatest ensemble some disagree, but this one yeah this one fabulous.

Capella Del Ministers is so underrated , okay there album are pricey but the quality the repertoire all they done, there are gems, worth checking out.

Any comment on this album, It's one of my favorite album of all time in Franco-Flemish music I adore this album.

Me and 27 Mensa musicologists of Switzerland think so, I gave it a more than decent 10 out 10, if you hate this album and you like ancient lore music, you don't know your stuff.

Thank you very much for making me aware of this recording out, it looks as though there are some interesting and rare things on it. I look forward to getting to know it.

I like very much the highly refined style of Capella de Ministrers in the few recordings I've heard - El Grial, for example. And the soundtrack to A Circle in the Water.

Que