The Music Room > General Classical Music Discussion

The Early Music Club (EMC)

<< < (344/353) > >>

The new erato:
Baroque I think, becaus of less reliance on strict poyphony and more on the use of a firm bass.

My lack of theory in these matters is shown in my answer, but is is a good question. Is Beethoven a classicist or a romantic? It depends....and it is tempting to answer neither.

deprofundis:

--- Quote from: vers la flamme on November 24, 2021, 08:59:58 PM ---Stupid question for you erudite folk: do you consider Schütz to be a Renaissance or a Baroque composer? Why?

--- End quote ---

Dear vers la flammes, I can answer you're question, Schutz is a composer of renaissance firmaly, but is music so evovle he is quasi Baroque.

vers la flamme:

--- Quote from: The new erato on November 25, 2021, 12:40:07 AM ---Baroque I think, becaus of less reliance on strict poyphony and more on the use of a firm bass.

My lack of theory in these matters is shown in my answer, but is is a good question. Is Beethoven a classicist or a romantic? It depends....and it is tempting to answer neither.

--- End quote ---

I'm inclined to agree, with what little Schütz I've heard, anyway. If Monteverdi is a Baroque composer despite some harmonic flavors that resonate more with those of the Renaissance (yes I'm aware that the term "harmony" does not really apply vis à vis Renaissance music), then so is Schütz.

Mandryka:
I know nothing about Lassus, but it may be that some of his music is more renaissance style than baroque, some the other way round. I’d argue that that’s the way it is with Trebaci and Monteverdi.

deprofundis:
Okay you sin and never pay attention to might of Jacob Obrecht did you actuall yah done this, repent whit the folowing CD whit a fantastic ensemble and sounds of Capella de le Torre ensemble , a humble  but very great label fur musik der rennaissance das itch Alte Musik for one solid composer, any aware people in musiclogist all agree whit me the rendition of works are sublime ans surreal, real darn good stuff I say.

;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version