The Early Music Club (EMC)

Started by zamyrabyrd, October 06, 2007, 10:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: deprofundis on January 06, 2022, 06:48:25 PM
Guillaume DE Machaut strangely complexe universeve of Chanson, virelai, Balades, Motets, Isorythmic Motets, yep ' I order a complete Machaut Motets and there is Isorythmic Motets I guess on AEON, it's Machaut complete Motets in two CD , sound promessing, don't you think fellows, and beside I am expection a NON-SUCH of Messe DE Notre-Dame, this is major hey Machaut chef d'oeuvre in analogue, what an LP, Machaut could be central classical to be in between in Ars Nova & Ars Subtilior.

Look at unusual song in his output,  there is Phyton Le Fabuleus Serpent, that is too me unusual groovy, what I mean is , his music was well ellaborated and refined for it's respective time, like Jehan Lescureil Chanson , whom before Machaut would constructed perfect songs, maybe someone who dig Machaut song's = Chanson might enjoy Jehan Lescureil, most probably so, I want to talk of these arist, Machaut Isorythmic motets and Lescureil most interesting album I know two of them, greeting folks, bonjour Mandryka  :)

I think you should hear Hilliard doing the Machaut motets. I think the impressive thing about Machaut's motets, apart from the musical interest, are (1) the texts -- he chose some crazy, bold texts, especially in the macaronic motets. And (2) the fact (arguably) that it's a cycle of 18 -- with a meaningful order representing a contemporary conception of spiritual journey.

Machaut certainly had a melodic gift, he may have had equals before (Philippe le Chancelier, Adam La Halle, Jeahan Lescurel) but who amongst his contemporaries could match his word settings? I think this is what Gothic Voices tried to explore -- anonymous music mostly.

Of course there's Philippe de Vitry to think about.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

PeterWillem

I was able to catch those two books written by Marcel Peres (in cooperation with other gentlemen). There are CDs added to those. Along some excerpts from various Ensemble Organum albums, one CD has 2 concert tracks not available anywhere while other CD contains 3 tracks made by other artists. There are two issues though. I don't have the CD player anymore (even in my PC) and I don't really speak French ;D I have two possible ways to go: either scan the books and run the input through OCR (Optical Character Recognition) or painstakingly copy entire text by hand and then run it through Google Translate and fix eventual errors manually.

Mandryka

Quote from: PeterWillem on January 25, 2022, 02:25:51 AM
I was able to catch those two books written by Marcel Peres (in cooperation with other gentlemen). There are CDs added to those. Along some excerpts from various Ensemble Organum albums, one CD has 2 concert tracks not available anywhere while other CD contains 3 tracks made by other artists. There are two issues though. I don't have the CD player anymore (even in my PC) and I don't really speak French ;D I have two possible ways to go: either scan the books and run the input through OCR (Optical Character Recognition) or painstakingly copy entire text by hand and then run it through Google Translate and fix eventual errors manually.

I have the books and I can read French, but I didn't get a CD with them! Le chant de la mémoire was the most interesting to me.

Why don't you just learn to read French? It shouldn't take long to be able to read those books - five years maybe.  >:D

PeterWillem

Quote from: Mandryka on January 25, 2022, 09:48:47 AM
I have the books and I can read French, but I didn't get a CD with them! Le chant de la mémoire was the most interesting to me.
Hmm interesting. The description on publisher's website mentions that CDs are added. Maybe you bought some earlier edition? I will rip the CDs to FLAC files, upload them and send you a link.

Quote from: Mandryka on January 25, 2022, 09:48:47 AM
Why don't you just learn to read French? It shouldn't take long to be able to read those books - five years maybe.  >:D
I have this planned actually and I can understand quite a lot of individual words. Though I have obsession with digitizing everything I found valuable so I would scan those books anyway.

The new erato

I've read that Nigels Rogers is dead at 86. A really fine, and extremely important, early performer of early music, and an incredibly important influence on my musical interests and listening habits since the mid 1970ies. RIP.

Carlo Gesualdo

Hello

So I will tell ya my interrest these days, an ensemble I use to dislike a lot, an ensemble I would  not pay attention since I would be  always disaponted, Ensemble Clément Janequin lead by Dominique Visse, did not like there Missa Pangue Lingua of Josquin even if it featured also ensemble Organum & Marcel Pérès ?

But I discovered the force of Ensemble Clément Janequin would remain in French Chanson genre obviously.

What led me to this conclusion is the fact  that I bought six CD's on Ebay a mix Batch they were a CD of Janequin (the composer) La Chasse et autres Chansons, by Ensemble Clément Janequin,  featuring  Guillaume Morlaye, Adrian Le Roy and Janequin released in 1988, I was like darn this is good.

Eventually it leaded me to investigated Ensemble Clément Janequin in the depth more so , Order Clément Janequin, Le Chant des Oiseau  album, that was a good decent album, yet to forge an opinion I needed more recording stumble on a cheap to buy  and out of print box-set: Anthologie de la Chanson Polyphonique song of French Renaissance by same affored mention ensemble 3 CDs, Anthoine de Bertrand: Amours de Ronsard (a notorious French Poet), the one I am  listening right now, that is very good, the  second CD called Claude Le Jeune a French Protestant composer called: Meslanges Chansons et Fantaisie de viols whit ensemble Les Eléments, than the third album is Fricassée Parisienne an album of mix French Chanson whit mix composers of the era. I know this album I use to have it in a lousy download, now I have it.

One thing one should understand, is some ensemble are better in specific genre and real good, I.e  Ensemble Clément Janequin for French Chansons. I've could had said the same about other ensembles.

Look at Ensemble Diabolus In musica, now sorry dear folks of this ensemble I was often disapointed whit result but they most have good release and specific strenghts?

Beside this don't want to bash them too mutch. I heard QUE on an Ockeghem release he find great and I beleive him. Have a great day folks.

Mandryka

Love their latest Dufay - Missa Avé Regina Celorum. It's less less muscular and more sweet and lyrical than their normal stuff, which suits me perfectly.

The Ciconia too is well worth a butchers.

Carlo Gesualdo

Dear fellas of GMG that I love, I most share whit you what I just order, the LP is mint and it's Capella Cordina not the re-release on arion but original pressing of 1974, now that sexy hey, the sleeve is deap pale purple acolor I like usually of the 70'', the sleeve of Capella Cordina are always a big plus, may I say top notch and who  here can resist these dense robust thick sion of LP that make an awesome sounds thus said even for it's time,.

Had it in download buck heck it's the original LP  The Florentine renaissance, whit the great thee first emitator of Franco-Flemish in Italy, this is one of these composer that you will suffer find some in CD complete CD, perhaps lousy low fidelity streaming , no gorgeously attractive mauve sleeve and midle of LP, I'm impress, the devild were prada, the devil is meticuleous, the devil a woman, lol , just kidding honnest, I'm meticuleous for detail almost all and al, sleeve condition ,color use , art, purticular ensemble & director. year it's been publish, the label that release it, perhaps more not full of darn lousy sticker you can pul out in rick of damaging the sleeve, sometime these dummy put them on center of vynil of write on vynil, enought ot get you exceded and upset just relatively so.

What about other detail well the notes insdes or on sleeve, no scratch this is obvious.

Are you meticuleous moreso than a woman when buying record and demand excellenece! mint! sweetness.

And to return to the subject did Layolle other work were publish outside Capella Cordina ? Aléjandro Planchart fabuleous, quite brilliant director I honnor my Lyricord or my favorite you can bet on this, that in In music of the Kingdom of Burgundy (La Bourgonde) vf- french.

I f I lie quality thick  volimineux great hi-fi sound for renaissance than, what should be my favorite Label Perhaps Caliope LP pretty shure they have good awesome renaissance stuff in LP, has a man of taste , please tell me folks ean ensemble that rival Capella Cordina in Geneous, durinf 60''-early 70'' whit a good decent label, perhaps Eterna the Eastern Germany R.D.A release has stuff to offer, worth to check out.

Anyway this wax my ''salade du chef of thoughtS, please contributed of elabored on Francesco Layolle please on my composers post, little favor, I ask the one that care, for musicology accademic sake, any other  almost unknow was done in European country?

Thankyou so much for understanding or caring, Francesco Layolle is a new name for me so far even if I had it streaming, I have a little dose of dislike for the sound compared to LP wich I really like.

Farewell than, lateron , and thank you for reading or responding,  or elaborated on other firstly Italian Franco-Flemish Imitators?

Carlo Gesualdo

One recording I find very excellent, well done, just perfect, perhaps a triumph for director Jeremy Summerly and the roses consort, awesome varied music here  of different composers of the era of  Bruegel, it's Called Bruguel and music of it's time.

Mandryka

For those who can listen to the BBC,  Hannah French uncovers the amazing story of a 15th-century songbook rediscovered in 2014 -- familiar to us -- the Leuven Chansonnier

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001078m

Mandryka

And here's the Leuven Chansonnier

https://repository.teneo.libis.be/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE9381778

If you go to page/leaf/recto  013_1r you will find a medieval anticipation of John Cage's greatest music.

PeterWillem

;D

I've seen those pages with blank lines in various manuscripts. I wonder what scribe was thinking back then. Was that "I hate this song and won't add it" or "dang, I lost my sketch for this somewhere" or "I'll do that one later"?

Mandryka

Missed this one, released Autumn last year. Bonnardot, the inimitable Bonardot, is in fine fettle.

Carlo Gesualdo

Dear Folks of  EMC on GMG!

Here something  I discovered, once I was  a couple of time deceived by Ensemble  Diabolus In Musica, now after Hearing 3 of there album on Guillaume DUFAY, It's  very good, the music marvelous I have three albums in streaming but  the sound is good so his the performance
Ensemble
[asin]Dufay Missa se la face ey pale (a delight) By Diabolus In Musica a  fameous Mass, Diabolus in musica [/asin]
[asin]Dufay Milles Bonjours (very pleasing) it cosist of Chanson  genre[/asin]
[asin]Dufay Reine du ciel: Missa ave Regina Celorum (VERY  SUPER JOB)[/asin]

And I use to have  Johannes Ockeghem requiem wich was  a  wonderfull recording of Ockeghem.

Carlo Gesualdo

Discover a new title, that caugh my eye's my attention, whit a colorful presentation of art reminescent of Bosch, very nice sleeve, let me tell yah all at first and foremost, this contain 2 CD of early renaissance whit:
1-  Guillaume Dufay aka Du Fay
the one the only, got an obsession for collection his mass, most likelly trought LP media, perhaps CD, a lost of streamings, sadely streaming no that good. but better than nothing.

So were we ah yes blast, a Mysterious album:
Vox Coelo Chants de Dévotion a Saint Abbé CD.
[asin]Vox de Coelo, Chants De Dévotion a Saint Abbé. on label Andiamo [/asin]Production. Look's super, but booklet is glued to CD box, but beside this details I can and will live whit that.

Ensemble Vox In Rama
Mathieu Lancian: Contre-Ténor
Frédéric Rantières: Ténor
Laurent Mallet: Barython
Daniel Guillot: Basse

Frédéric Rantières: Directeur  Artistique et  Musical.

14 TRACKS cd 1,12 TRACKS cd 2.

premont

Quote from: deprofundis on April 18, 2022, 08:56:15 AM
Discover a new title, that caugh my eye's my attention,

Ensemble Vox In Rama
Mathieu Lancian: Contre-Ténor
Frédéric Rantières: Ténor
Laurent Mallet: Barython
Daniel Guillot: Basse

Frédéric Rantières: Directeur  Artistique et  Musical.

Thanks. I shall investigate that one.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

JBS

Crosspost from the main listening thread

English instrumental music c 1550-1650, much of it written for or associated with Jacobean era masques.  Instruments used include violins, violone grande, violone piccolo, viola da gamba, cornets, sackbuts, organ, cembalo, virginal, lute, theorbo, dulcian, recorder, and an unspecified percussion (the group photograph in the liner notes shows a large drum carried by a cloth over the shoulder). The liner notes detail which instruments appear on which track.
Pleasant entertainment--which was after all the purpose this music was written for.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Carlo Gesualdo

Josquin Despreez in Italia Odhecation -Paolo da col - Th Gesualdo Six . All of this on this incredible Josquin album on Arcana Outhere Music, Ah yes this is an award winning winner, heard a lot of Josquin and thought , blast not Josquin again and again...  >:( but everything fine the program, his splendor:
1- As Opener featured a Motet the infameous Praeter rerum seriem a 6 vox tracks 1-2 , Missa Hercules dux Ferrariae a 4-6 vox, tracks 3-5 Tu solus qui Facis mirabilla a 4 vox, follow of course by IV Sanctus , V Agneus Dei

Giosquino

Carlo Gesualdo

My wish to day is to talk about the theme in renaissance of Spain & the New World, music I am revisting whit few release very  great, will talk about the one of course, my comment and why is Spanish New World so darn fascinating.

Ok what about a very good entry in the subject SPAIN and the New  Worldthis double album is captivating, 2 hours 10+ minutes, nearly bought this one, seen it on the market and darn it was expensive so had to download it and the download was not a give away either at almost 30$ + another album I also download from Presto Music amother very good title: Los Ministries in the  New World.

I had the excellent Michael Cohen directed Nueva Espana and Spain in the New World my favorite so far and first entries in subject on Ricercar I presume judging by sleeve.

What is so appealing about music of New World it's groovy, heck it's Spanish and instrumentation is sunny like castagnetas and so on.

Any other worth to mention release, that should be point out has colorful & sunny or warm if you preffer, musically speaking.

So what is your view on this subject  in the depth, any album I am missing out on, if I like this kind of perticular theme music.