The Music Room > General Classical Music Discussion

The Early Music Club (EMC)

<< < (349/353) > >>

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: deprofundis on January 06, 2022, 07:48:25 PM ---Guillaume DE Machaut strangely complexe universeve of Chanson, virelai, Balades, Motets, Isorythmic Motets, yep ' I order a complete Machaut Motets and there is Isorythmic Motets I guess on AEON, it's Machaut complete Motets in two CD , sound promessing, don't you think fellows, and beside I am expection a NON-SUCH of Messe DE Notre-Dame, this is major hey Machaut chef d'oeuvre in analogue, what an LP, Machaut could be central classical to be in between in Ars Nova & Ars Subtilior.

Look at unusual song in his output,  there is Phyton Le Fabuleus Serpent, that is too me unusual groovy, what I mean is , his music was well ellaborated and refined for it's respective time, like Jehan Lescureil Chanson , whom before Machaut would constructed perfect songs, maybe someone who dig Machaut song's = Chanson might enjoy Jehan Lescureil, most probably so, I want to talk of these arist, Machaut Isorythmic motets and Lescureil most interesting album I know two of them, greeting folks, bonjour Mandryka  :)

--- End quote ---

I think you should hear Hilliard doing the Machaut motets. I think the impressive thing about Machaut's motets, apart from the musical interest, are (1) the texts -- he chose some crazy, bold texts, especially in the macaronic motets. And (2) the fact (arguably) that it's a cycle of 18 -- with a meaningful order representing a contemporary conception of spiritual journey.

Machaut certainly had a melodic gift, he may have had equals before (Philippe le Chancelier, Adam La Halle, Jeahan Lescurel) but who amongst his contemporaries could match his word settings? I think this is what Gothic Voices tried to explore -- anonymous music mostly.

Of course there's Philippe de Vitry to think about.

PeterWillem:
I was able to catch those two books written by Marcel Peres (in cooperation with other gentlemen). There are CDs added to those. Along some excerpts from various Ensemble Organum albums, one CD has 2 concert tracks not available anywhere while other CD contains 3 tracks made by other artists. There are two issues though. I don't have the CD player anymore (even in my PC) and I don't really speak French ;D I have two possible ways to go: either scan the books and run the input through OCR (Optical Character Recognition) or painstakingly copy entire text by hand and then run it through Google Translate and fix eventual errors manually.

Mandryka:

--- Quote from: PeterWillem on January 25, 2022, 03:25:51 AM ---I was able to catch those two books written by Marcel Peres (in cooperation with other gentlemen). There are CDs added to those. Along some excerpts from various Ensemble Organum albums, one CD has 2 concert tracks not available anywhere while other CD contains 3 tracks made by other artists. There are two issues though. I don't have the CD player anymore (even in my PC) and I don't really speak French ;D I have two possible ways to go: either scan the books and run the input through OCR (Optical Character Recognition) or painstakingly copy entire text by hand and then run it through Google Translate and fix eventual errors manually.

--- End quote ---

I have the books and I can read French, but I didn’t get a CD with them! Le chant de la mémoire was the most interesting to me.

Why don’t you just learn to read French? It shouldn’t take long to be able to read those books - five years maybe.  >:D

PeterWillem:

--- Quote from: Mandryka on January 25, 2022, 10:48:47 AM ---I have the books and I can read French, but I didn’t get a CD with them! Le chant de la mémoire was the most interesting to me.

--- End quote ---
Hmm interesting. The description on publisher's website mentions that CDs are added. Maybe you bought some earlier edition? I will rip the CDs to FLAC files, upload them and send you a link.

--- Quote from: Mandryka on January 25, 2022, 10:48:47 AM ---Why don’t you just learn to read French? It shouldn’t take long to be able to read those books - five years maybe.  >:D

--- End quote ---
I have this planned actually and I can understand quite a lot of individual words. Though I have obsession with digitizing everything I found valuable so I would scan those books anyway.

The new erato:
I've read that Nigels Rogers is dead at 86. A really fine, and extremely important, early performer of early music, and an incredibly important influence on my musical interests and listening habits since the mid 1970ies. RIP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version